Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotty Kilmer weighs in on Mitsubishi.

Country
    UK
    Thanks

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam - UK For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-18-2019),UnderBridgeDweller (03-13-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks

he loves his toyota alot though i am not keen on toyota

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam - UK For This Useful Post:

UnderBridgeDweller (03-13-2019)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't recommend any Toyota from current to 10 years ago.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even before that, some years had oil consumption issues across a variety of models.

Me, I have a sludged-up 2001 Corolla that I will be dropping the oil pan on later today.
    I just got it in December. Why?
    I listened to Scotty and failed to thoroughly read before purchase.
    Sure, one could argue poor maintenance was the cause of most problems, but the
    car design and conventional oil use made some years much more prone.
    It is difficult to find a 2003--2005 Corolla with oil consumption reported.
    Then 2006 models brought reports back.

Apart from that, the car has a lot of good points in terms of reliability and ease of maintenance.
    It is not at all difficult to find examples for sale with over 200K miles.

Were I to purchase all over again, I would wait for a reasonably priced, low-mileage Mirage manual.
    Several scooters and the girlfriend's Honda Fit has me anti-CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I wouldn't recommend any Toyota from current to 10 years ago.
    That's a silly blanket statement. There are an enormous amount of ultra high mile toyotas happily taking their owners back and forth to work trouble free built within the last decade. My 2016 Tundra has been great granted it's only 3yrs old but plenty have 4,5 and 600k on them. There is that 2007 tundra that hit a million but that's 12yrs old lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like Scotty Kilmer

I watch his videos while I eat a 10 minute meal at my computer desk. He is an entertaining personality although I dont always agree with him.

Last edited by fc321; 03-13-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I like Scotty Kilmer

I watch his videos while I eat a 10 minute meal at my computer desk. He is an entertaining personality although I dont always agree with him.

I am the same. I don't take him seriously, but sometimes I'd rather watch someone talk about cars than watch something else on TV. I should read a book instead.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    That's a silly blanket statement. There are an enormous amount of ultra high mile toyotas happily taking their owners back and forth to work trouble free built within the last decade. My 2016 Tundra has been great granted it's only 3yrs old but plenty have 4,5 and 600k on them. There is that 2007 tundra that hit a million but that's 12yrs old lol
    1. they're too expensive, a new corolla S is $28k for the same thing just new body style.
    2. The quality did go down compared to the 90s, and in the early 2000s.

Edit: I'm still facing electrical issues with my 2011 Corolla S. The 2009-2013 models have been reported to have loads of electrical issues. Many people not happy. Just like how the waterpump was eating into my brother's Honda Civic engine block because of cheap parts/bolts Honda used. They all went downhill because they already had good brand image so instead of investing in good new designs they focused more on stock prices. Just as Toyota's CEO said himself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...er-safety.html
    Last edited by Marklovski; 03-13-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    1. they're too expensive, a new corolla S is $28k for the same thing just new body style.
    2. The quality did go down compared to the 90s, and in the early 2000s.

Edit: I'm still facing electrical issues with my 2011 Corolla S. The 2009-2013 models have been reported to have loads of electrical issues. Many people not happy. Just like how the waterpump was eating into my brother's Honda Civic engine block because of cheap parts/bolts Honda used. They all went downhill because they already had good brand image so instead of investing in good new designs they focused more on stock prices. Just as Toyota's CEO said himself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...er-safety.html
    I felt Honda & Toyota was making some pretty good cars around 2000 to 2006. It's almost like they peaked. Companies like Hyundai & KIA started making huge gains during this time, too. Having said that, I don't think Honda &/or Toyota have become the worst automobile companies since that time period. I am not really impressed with any one company right now.

Just curious? Who do you think is making great cars for the U.S. market?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I felt Honda & Toyota was making some pretty good cars around 2000 to 2006. It's almost like they peaked. Companies like Hyundai & KIA started making huge gains during this time, too. Having said that, I don't think Honda &/or Toyota have become the worst automobile companies since that time period. I am not really impressed with any one company right now.

Just curious? Who do you think is making great cars for the U.S. market?
    Depends on the car for each brand. For Mazda I guess the CX-5 and MX5 ND would be the great choice. For Jeep it would be the Cherokee and the Renegade. I think that companies like Jaguar will have huge gains in reliability because they are turning all their cars to fully electric. Their engines were not very reliable. Ford is probably the worst because of their Dual clutch transmissions not working, automatic trucks changing gears by themselves, headgaskets blowing off Focus RS and 3 cylinder turbo'd cars.

But I would agree that Korean cars overall are probably the most reliable, I just don't like them other than the Elantra. I would buy an MX5 but I just don't fit in one.