Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto stop@go recall. Side effects

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    And maybe one more thing. When the engine is stopped with S&G, and someone opens the trunk, it starts. That's weird, and I can't think of a reason for it. But I'm not sure it didn't happen before the update. It is possible the combination just never happened.
    Do you suppose it serves as a reminder to the driver (operator) to turn the car off?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do you suppose it serves as a reminder to the driver (operator) to turn the car off?
    No. When I open the drivers door it starts beeping, but doesn't start the engine. And that also switches off the AS&G. It won't start automatically on pressing the clutch when the drivers door has been opened in between.
    So I can't imagine there would be a reminder on opening the hatch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Have we really reached that level in society? Someone is actually releasing that feature! If you can't remember to turn off your car, it will do it for you!

As a driving instructor I have to ask, "should a person like that be driving a car"?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Have we really reached that level in society? Someone is actually releasing that feature! If you can't remember to turn off your car, it will do it for you!

As a driving instructor I have to ask, "should a person like that be driving a car"?
    Well, at my work recently someone was driving the Prius and when she got out she didn’t turn the car off because the engine wasn’t running. It’s very quiet even when running and our office is near a airport so lots of noise. It auto stop and turned itself back on for 2 days and I only noticed because I happened to park next to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well, at my work recently someone was driving the Prius and when she got out she didn’t turn the car off because the engine wasn’t running. It’s very quiet even when running and our office is near a airport so lots of noise. It auto stop and turned itself back on for 2 days and I only noticed because I happened to park next to it.
    If she had an ignition key, I don't think that would happen. You made a good point. A parked Prius may present that problem.

I switch student drivers all the time during a 2-hour btw lesson. My rule #1 - don't make assumptions on anything. If it's a quick switch, I tell them the car is already running. Otherwise, I am constantly hearing the sound of a grinding starter!

It's getting to the point where new cars have so many new features, we need more features to help with the features that are already added. Today's new dash boards can be extremely distracting. I had a loaner recently, I was amazed at how distracting it was. The car had lane departure warning & auto braking, & it somewhat needed them (because of the distracting dash in my opinion).

I maintain simple is better sometimes, but I am not the norm. Features are important to many! The Mirage would be slammed even worst if didn't have some!

Last edited by Mark; 07-06-2019 at 03:51 PM.