Thread: key fob warning light - can't figure it out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Angry key fob warning light - can't figure it out

Hi all,

I just bought a used 2014 mirage ES (automatic) a month ago. It has about 44k miles on it. It seemed like it was in great condition when I bought it.

Within a week of buying it, the key fob warning light on the dash started coming on. Simultaneously the radio will go off, the engine starter button will flash, and a loud beeping noise will come on. This is intermittent but will sometimes last for 15-20 minutes. The car starts and runs fine.

First I thought it was the batteries in the key fobs, so I replaced those. No effect. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the car causing interference with the fobs and I've made sure to hold them close to the dash.

A few days later, after a heavy rain, I noticed there was water pooling in the car near the dome light and dripping down.

I took it back to the dealer and they told me the water was coming in through the antenna. They said the key fob problem was due to a short caused by the water. They told me that they fixed the antenna leak, dried everything out, and now everything should be working fine.

I took the car home today. I picked it up right before the dealer closed. It seemed to run fine, but 30 minutes later I took the car back out again and the key fob light/beeping/flashing started again. So it obviously isn't fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ETA: Just found this post. Seems like almost the same problem though I don't see any answers here. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...?highlight=fob

only difference is my problem doesn't usually start right when I turn on the engine but rather after a minute or two of driving (or sometimes more), and intermittently throughout a drive, going off and back on.
    Last edited by pinkmirage; 03-13-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmirage View Post
    Hi all,

I just bought a used 2014 mirage ES (automatic) a month ago. It has about 44k miles on it. It seemed like it was in great condition when I bought it.

Within a week of buying it, the key fob warning light on the dash started coming on. Simultaneously the radio will go off, the engine starter button will flash, and a loud beeping noise will come on. This is intermittent but will sometimes last for 15-20 minutes. The car starts and runs fine.

First I thought it was the batteries in the key fobs, so I replaced those. No effect. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the car causing interference with the fobs and I've made sure to hold them close to the dash.

A few days later, after a heavy rain, I noticed there was water pooling in the car near the dome light and dripping down.

I took it back to the dealer and they told me the water was coming in through the antenna. They said the key fob problem was due to a short caused by the water. They told me that they fixed the antenna leak, dried everything out, and now everything should be working fine.

I took the car home today. I picked it up right before the dealer closed. It seemed to run fine, but 30 minutes later I took the car back out again and the key fob light/beeping/flashing started again. So it obviously isn't fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    This may or may not be helpful to you, but my radio started to go on & off about 6 months after owning my Mirage. It would go totally dead (clock & all), & then come back on later. I found this thread below. Look at post #8.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...se-fuse-insert

I look at my yellow fuse holder & it even felt pushed in at first. When I gave it a good shove, however, I realized the fuses were loose. My problem was solved & never returned. I have 2017 ES with a key. Thus, I only had issue with my radio, and I don't know if this relates to your issue at all?

Just thought I would mention it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Can you take a short video of what is happening and provide us a link?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Hello pinkmirage and welcome to the forum.

Have a look at this thread:

Corroded connector causing warning lights to come on.

I'm not sure if it's related but might be worth checking. If you find anything we'd appreciate some pictures so others can see what's going on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here’s a video of what’s going on:

https://youtu.be/GDvYet58ho8

I’ll check out your suggestions and report back. More ideas welcome. Thanks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkmirage For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for posting that. I would DEFINITELY remove that kick panel to have the connectors checked. It is the most likely culprit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Thank you for posting that. I would DEFINITELY remove that kick panel to have the connectors checked. It is the most likely culprit.
    is this the problem you're talking about?

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/201...g-problem.html

"Mitsubishi dealers will inspect the affected connectors, replacing any that are corroded. A waterproof sheet will be installed over the connectors to prevent future corrosion."

Anyone know if a dealer will do this for free because of the recall, or has that ship sailed since it's several years old?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually, when I look up my car here, https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup, it says no open recalls...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmirage View Post
    Actually, when I look up my car here, https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup, it says no open recalls...
    Register your vehicle in the Mitsubishi North America web site in the owners section:

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/login

You can enter your VIN there and if there are any recalls that need to be completed or if any work has already been completed you'll be able to see that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Register your vehicle in the Mitsubishi North America web site in the owners section:

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/login

You can enter your VIN there and if there are any recalls that need to be completed or if any work has already been completed you'll be able to see that.
    No open recalls on my car. Looks like they checked the panel for corrosion after the recall was announced in 2016 though it doesn't say anything about them sealing it which I think they were also supposed to do? So I wonder if it's corroded since it was checked in 2016?