Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seat Covers and Airbags - Dangerous?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Seat Covers and Airbags - Dangerous?

I see people on the Mirage forum, as well as co-workers etc. who have seat covers on seats with Airbags. Isn't this potentially dangerous? Not to mention the airbags aren't going to deploy as intended.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I see people on the Mirage forum, as well as co-workers etc. who have seat covers on seats with Airbags. Isn't this potentially dangerous? Not to mention the airbags aren't going to deploy as intended.
    It all depends if they were custom made and designed with the capability for air bag deployment.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MirageSEFan For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-14-2019),poorman1 (03-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quality seat covers will have some sort of "relief" area built-in to accommodate for the side airbags mounted in the seat. It could be an open area over the airbag or something like a loose flap of material covering the airbag.

High-end covers will have the specific pattern for the vehicle's seats and they will take the location of the side airbags into consideration when the covers are stitched. There are some "generic" covers out there that I would be concerned about if they weren't specifically manufactured for the vehicle in which they have been installed.

In other words... If you bought $20 universal seat covers on eBay, you need to make sure they have some sort of accommodation for the side airbags.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-14-2019),dspace9 (03-15-2019)

I'm sure some will argue about this topic. I totally agree, if the seat cover covers the plastic on the airbag cover it could affect how it works. But it's only potentially dangerous if you crash and that bag deploys. So don't crash.

If the seat cover has a proper sized cut out or you make your own hole, then I don't see any issues. Then just tuck the edges in behind the bag cover. When the bag blows it usually punches through the plastic/rubber cover not through the upholstery.

On these car's it's pretty obvious where the seat airbag is, but not so much on other every other vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Maybe you aren't aware of this but there are seat covers out there designed to work with seat mounted airbags. Just be sure to get those. Or don't and just drive yours as it is.

Don't get me wrong - I'm with you on this. Liability gets transferred when teeny little changes have big unforseen impacts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-15-2019),poorman1 (03-15-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    It all depends if they were custom made and designed with the capability for air bag deployment.
    Ok, thanks all by the way never thought of this potential safety hazard in that way before. It's easy to overlook the simple things. Get the custom covers with the airbags built in mind when they make them.

I gave this a bit of thought just now and I wouldn't even risk getting seat covers, no matter what no seat covers is a better proposition to be in if the worst crash scenario happens, like someone mentioned already.

You know my Mirage seats area all black and interior, piano black can scratch mine has the plastic on some of the dash still.

Then with white roof interior oddly on a gunmetal grey car oddly... and on the black seats, they have the circle pattern on the whole thing the whole fabric. My friend said the circles looked purple at first anyway like when I first got the car, and my buddy said this is key, notably said my Mirage is a crome-free car compared to his Cruise.

Anyway stick with the circle fabric if you ask me. Looks cool, or well actually funky
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-15-2019 at 08:41 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Well, we just had another car get t-boned, this time right square in the passenger side a pillar. Other driver was in an f150 and drove through a stop sign didn't even touch the brakes. Was going at least 40mph. Pushed the car sideways right into a fire hydrant. The passenger curtain bag deployed but I don't think any other bag did. The front doors offer scary low side impact protection, especially from a frame horn of a truck coming into the car.

Edit: both rh side bags (seat and curtain) deployed. Didn't do much good with nobody sitting there though.
    I would like to see pics of the damage inside and out, if you don't mind. I may regret asking for them, once I see them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Well, we just had another car get t-boned, this time right square in the passenger side a pillar. Other driver was in an f150 and drove through a stop sign didn't even touch the brakes. Was going at least 40mph. Pushed the car sideways right into a fire hydrant. The passenger curtain bag deployed but I don't think any other bag did. The front doors offer scary low side impact protection, especially from a frame horn of a truck coming into the car.

Edit: both rh side bags (seat and curtain) deployed. Didn't do much good with nobody sitting there though.
    This is a pretty good real example to insure that any seat covers don't interfere with the seat airbag.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you. Ouch! How bad was the intrusion of the frame horn into the passenger compartment

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Attachment 14166I don't have one of the passenger door still on the car. It was cut off and laying on the side of the road by the time I got there.
    It actually looks pretty good considering.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)