Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Auto Shutoff

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Headlight Auto Shutoff

The first night that I had my new 2017, I had left my headlights turned on when I pressed the engine stop switch. After a few seconds, I heard a click from under the left side of the dashboard and my headlights automatically shut off. I thought to myself, hmmm, that's a nice feature. I'm guessing there is some kind of relay disconnect on the headlight circuit. It was working great up until recently.

Now I notice that if I don't turn off the headlights before pressing the engine stop switch, I still hear a click after a few seconds, but the headlights will not turn off automatically. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Yeah, the Mirage has automatic headlight shutoff, which is nice. I don't use it.

When I turn off my Speck I also hear a relay click, but I haven't bothered to look into what it is for.

Speck just works, so I got that going for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yeah, the Mirage has automatic headlight shutoff, which is nice. I don't use it.

When I turn off my Speck I also hear a relay click, but I haven't bothered to look into what it is for.

Speck just works, so I got that going for me.

I hear you. Lol. If you wouldn't mind, can you try leaving on your headlights the next time you shut off your engine? I'm curious to see if your headlights will automatically shut off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They will. I'll do it for you though. What exactly do you want to know?

Also, have you read through your Owner's Manual yet? I get the impression you haven't.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just went outside to do this experiment. I turned on Speck using my pushbutton start, but did not start the engine. Next, I turned on the headlights. Then I turned off Speck using my pushbutton start switch. The headlights immediately turned off.

I hope that helps answer your question.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-15-2019)

Yes they'll shut off. The only time they won't is if you turn the headlights on with the car off. There might be a time out for them to save the battery but I'm not positive.

You when the car is running you can turn the headlights on and never touch the switch ever again. My 04 Nissan does the same thing but takes way longer to shut off. 15' kia has 3 positions, park,headlights and auto. I just leave them on all the time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They will. I'll do it for you though. What exactly do you want to know?

Also, have you read through your Owner's Manual yet? I get the impression you haven't.
    Yes, I have read the manual. However, I didn't think to look for this topic in the manual before posting my question. I will check it out when I get home. I was just curious if your lights shut off automatically and how long it took before they did.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just went outside to do this experiment. I turned on Speck using my pushbutton start, but did not start the engine. Next, I turned on the headlights. Then I turned off Speck using my pushbutton start switch. The headlights immediately turned off.

I hope that helps answer your question.
    Yes, that helps a lot. I guess I have a problem with my auto shut off. Thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yes they'll shut off. The only time they won't is if you turn the headlights on with the car off. There might be a time out for them to save the battery but I'm not positive.

You when the car is running you can turn the headlights on and never touch the switch ever again. My 04 Nissan does the same thing but takes way longer to shut off. 15' kia has 3 positions, park,headlights and auto. I just leave them on all the time.
    Thank you for the information. I guess I have a problem with my auto shut off. It may be a bad relay. I'll have to get it checked out by the dealer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    Yes, that helps a lot. I guess I have a problem with my auto shut off. Thank you.
    Oh, I wouldn't reach that conclusion just yet because I think the headlight delay can be adjusted. Exactly how I don't recall.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-15-2019)