Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RUST Front axle de-rusted many pix

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    IMO, that rust is not that bad for a 4 year old car. We use salt on the roads here like crazy. Welds rust first on every single car I've ever worked on. However, I have never seen it become an actual structural issue. The sheet metal rusts through before the weld is eaten away since it is thicker. Is it ugly? Yeah. Is it an actual problem? I don't think so.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-18-2019),Top_Fuel (03-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just for a goof, Try spraying the axles & welds with the Krown rust proofing @ least twice... It will creep & penetrate into the material. I really think that will help. The MTO use tons of salt here ( Salt is cheeper than plowing, I guess ) & I have seen cars several years old that have been treated with Krown & they look amazing. Just remember it is an annual application thing...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    I'm more concerned about body panels and sheet metal rusting than large steel components with a cheap layer of paint. The sheet metal on cars today is so thin, by the time you see signs of rust, it could be a lot more substantial than it looks on the surface.

I know cars are built better today and (supposedly) use better anti-corrosive coatings on the sheet metal, but that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I still see lots of late model cars with rusted rockers and the bottoms of doors looking like this...

Name:  rust.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  35.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, especially when the rust is gonna be hidden for a while til the rocker molding fall off lol

Thankfully we don't usually see rust like that. Unless the car came from out east in the rust belt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm more concerned about body panels and sheet metal rusting than large steel components with a cheap layer of paint. The sheet metal on cars today is so thin, by the time you see signs of rust, it could be a lot more substantial than it looks on the surface.

I know cars are built better today and (supposedly) use better anti-corrosive coatings on the sheet metal, but that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I still see lots of late model cars with rusted rockers and the bottoms of doors looking like this...
    In these parts there are mandatory safety inspections every two years. It takes them about an hour or two for each vehicle, and if they see rockers with penetrations, regardless how small, rusty axles, or any technical modifications or other deficiancies such as brakes or emissions, you car stays put before it is towed either to a junk yard or to a workshop that will only then release it after a new inspection highly officially verifies it as safe unmodified and has passed emission testing.
    Last edited by foama; 03-18-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    IMO, that rust is not that bad for a 4 year old car. We use salt on the roads here like crazy. Welds rust first on every single car I've ever worked on. However, I have never seen it become an actual structural issue. The sheet metal rusts through before the weld is eaten away since it is thicker. Is it ugly? Yeah. Is it an actual problem? I don't think so.
    My old 2004 Subaru Outback had massive rust that practically rotted out my heat shield, but other than that it wasnt an issue. Everything underneath was extremely rusted, but never affected the car's reliability.

I had an 84 Ford supercab in the 90's. The rocker and cab corner was so rusty the b pillar just flopped around. The guy I bought it from couldn't get the drivers door open. I hammered a 2x4 or 2 between the box and cab. It worked pretty good after that. I kinda miss driving death traps. I once somehow managed to stall the same truck in a drive through(being a retard) they sent all the kids out to help push the tank. It took 2 people to start the thing. One to try the key while the other spun the engine by hand til whatever teeth were left on the flywheel were at the starter. Gotta choose words carefully when hands are on the fan. Whoa, go and no all sound too alike! Coulda jumped the solenoid on the fender too I guess but I almost ran myself over doing that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Jeep had insanely surface rusted after the first winter. T5years later, it had, well, surface rust.

To require an automaker to prevent rust from stopping behind a gravel chip or worn paint area is not logical.

You own it. End of year 3, find the problems, paint em, walk away. Same for year 5, 7, 8, 9, scrap it and walk away.

If you live in a salty area, do what you can. Ain't no manufacturer changing how they make vehicles for a small percent of us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

True, some vehicles are just prone to rust. And some places are prone to rust. I've got a relative in Kelowna looking for a clean non rusted TJ. Everyone so far has rusted out front fenders, Apparently they all rust there, some sooner than others.

I recently worked on an 04 X-type, I had to watch where I jacked it up cause the rockers are rotten behind the mouldings. Right at the jacking points.
    We had one of those x-types at the wrecker years ago. The thing was under a year old at the time and it had rotten out rockers too, only way you could tell was cause the car was torn apart in the accident. The outside looked clean, the inside frame rails and behind the 1/4 panel skin was rotting from the inside out.

Mfg don't want cars to last forever. It'd be stupid of them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My mirages look fantastic underneath. I've been using fluid film from day one.