Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Oil change & a surprise (NO ANTI DRAIN BACK VALVE in factory filter)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

1st Oil change & a surprise (NO ANTI DRAIN BACK VALVE in factory filter)

I've got 3988 KM (53hr ) on the Pumpkin, so I thought I'd do the 1st oil change.Name:  IMG_4269 (2).jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  85.1 KB I used the CTC formula 1 0W20 oil & AC Delco PF2057 oil filter ( I bought a case of them from Rock Auto with the discount from the Rock Auto guy on here,, Thanks.) After I was done, I thought I'd cut the old filter open to see what was in it. To my surprise, the OEM filter had no steel end plates, & NO ANTI DRAIN BACK VALVE See the pic for what the inside of this filter looks like. I'm going to buy one from the dealer to see if the service filter is different from the OEM. @ least the Delco filter I used has steel end caps & an Anti drain back valve... Thoughts???

Roger

Last edited by Eggman; 03-18-2019 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Fixed BB code.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-23-2020),MetroMPG (03-18-2019),PityOnU (12-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I'm not sure an anti drainback valve is as valuable as some like to believe. As the filter is positioned horizontally, residual oil will drain through the center mounting hole when the oil pump stops. At best the anti drainback valve will only hold oil up to the lowest height of that opening, and my guess is that is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the filter's total capacity.

Vertically mounted filters with their mounting hole facing up won't need this valve. It'll hold all its oil by gravity.

I suppose some valve is better than nothing. But I don't see how an anti drainback valve will keep a horizontally mounted filter fully charged with oil.

Proper construction is important. What good is a filter that allows oil to bypass the filter media?

Personally I think the filtration specs are also important. Look for filters that can trap the smallest particles, and lots of them. Better to keep those little nasties away from the moving bits. There's few filter manufacturers that advertise their filtration specs. WIX comes to mind.

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil and filters.

Good question by the way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I've got 3988 KM (53hr ) on the Pumpkin, so I thought I'd do the 1st oil change. I used the CTC formula 1 0W20 oil & AC Delco PF2057 oil filter ( I bought a case of them from Rock Auto with the discount from the Rock Auto guy on here,, Thanks.) After I was done, I thought I'd cut the old filter open to see what was in it. To my surprise, the OEM filter had no steel end plates, & NO ANTI DRAIN BACK VALVE See the pic for what the inside of this filter looks like. I'm going to buy one from the dealer to see if the service filter is different from the OEM. @ least the Delco filter I used has steel end caps & an Anti drain back valve... Thoughts???

Roger
    I find that interesting. I've read a lot of oil filter discussions, but I don't remember anyone opening up a factory filter. Sure doesn't inspire anyone to stick with Mitsubishi oil filters, unless you find the replacement ones to be different?

I sort of go mid-range myself. I've been using a the PurolatorONE. No one reason really. They are available at a Farm & Fleet that I like to shop at, & I use Purolator oil filters for my riding lawnmower, UTV, and compact diesel tractor.

The PurolatorONE (PL14610) is their mid-level oil filter that has the silicone anti-drainback valve & is rated for 10,000 miles. I change oil/filter every 5,000 miles.

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-your...urolatoronetm/

While looking up what oil filter I use, I noticed Purolator is making two types of engine air filters and two types of cabin filters now. I don't remember seeing those in the past.

http://www.pureoil.com/en/profession...filter-lookup/

I am not saying Purolator is the best. It's just a brand that I have been using for years without issue. The PurolatorONE oil filter states it has an silicone anti-drainback valve on the box, & that made me feel ok about using it. I wouldn't hesitate to use Mobil 1 oil filters (M1-110A) or even the Fram Ultra oil filters (XG7317).

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by To my surprise, the OEM filter had no steel end plates, & [B
    NO ANTI DRAIN BACK VALVE[/B] See the pic for what the inside of this filter looks like. I'm going to buy one from the dealer to see if the service filter is different from the OEM. @ least the Delco filter I used has steel end caps & an Anti drain back valve... Thoughts???

Roger
    This is totally no surprise to me!
    The typical "no oil rattle" during startup got me looking for the problem and a solution.
    The solution was using a filter with an anti-drainback valve made of PTFE and not of the cheaper silicone or trashy 1950's style rubber. Only PTFE will maintain its shape and flexibility, and thus seal properly at all engine temperatures.
    Try the FILTRON OP575 and you will certainly experience the difference!

You may want to look at the first post of this thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...on-USA-markets
    Last edited by foama; 03-18-2019 at 08:47 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    The service filter IS different from the one that comes on the car. There are two filters Mitsubishi will use at the dealership on the Mirage, PN MZ690072 or PN MZ690116.

The MZ690072 is longer and thinner, much like the original filter. The MZ690116 is shorter and wider. I believe both of these service filters have drainback valves.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-18-2019)

Like cobrajet said, the service filters are different. The one's our dealer sells us are the mz690072. They are a bit longer compared to a 51356 wix filter and use an o-ring that comes pre greased as opposed to a flat rubber washer. I've never bothered looking into them any further. I really don't know why the factory filter is usually torqued to 250lb/ft.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've tried four filters on the mirage.

Mitsubishi, Wix, M1 and Fram ultra synthetic. The fram is the best when it comes to noise at start-up. It also beats the others in filtering abilities. Its synthetic fiber as well. And to cap it off it has the rough grip paint on it. I will stick with it.
    The regular fram orange is junk but this is on the way other end of their line.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I really don't know why the factory filter is usually torqued to 250lb/ft.
    It's not falling off, for sure!!! I couldn't find a pic of the MZ690072 cut open but I found the MZ690116 & it does have the ADBV in it, but still no steel end caps, just glue.https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...bishi-mz690116 I guess the end support isn't that important or am I just over thinking the whole silly thing???

Roger
    Last edited by klroger; 03-18-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added link

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

I've used the mz69 for all our cars since new. 400k on our one car. It is getting a little rattly when cold though.
    I haven't cut open a filter yet.
    They do the same job, some better than other. If changed regularly I wouldn't worry to much about what you use other than the lowest quality fram filter or the cheap white box or no box chinese ones.
    On my own junk I usually go with oem or middle of the road parts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It was -18*c here last night & -12*c when I started the Pumpkin this AM. I did not have the block heater plugged in as I didn't think it would be that cold. The engine started as normal & the oil light went out almost right away & no noises. I think I'll keep using the oil & filters I have until I have the dealer do a service... Thanks All,,,
    Roger