Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highest constant RPM driving the Mirage, and the Mirage's top speed

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Here is the info we've collected on transmissions and gear ratios for the Mirage:

Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)
    I do all my shifts by ear, I can tell what the engine likes, and I try to rev-match. Not everyone's cup of tea to drive a car like that, but I find I get more oomph out of the Mirage's small motor with the manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are you saying North americans have homer simpson eye que?
    Ha ha! No, of course not, but some makers think of consumers as a heard of sheep and treat us accordingly. Take fashion or something else for example. We should always remain critical of what we do.
    I personally do what I think, not what some CEO assumes or hopes one of those dumn flocks will do for his benefit.

Anyhow, a tall top gear is a very good! For example the tiny 3cyl. Daihatsu Cuore with about 2000 rpm at 100km/h is just right. Unfortunately a ten year old Cuore can easily cost 50% or more of its new price.
    Last edited by foama; 03-23-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I commute 155 miles round trip at 70ish mph with no problems. At 70 it’s knocking out about 44 mpg with the 5 speed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RogerF765 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I test drove the CVT and came back and bought the manual because to me it is far more responsive than the CVT.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RogerF765 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-04-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerF765 View Post
    I test drove the CVT and came back and bought the manual because to me it is far more responsive than the CVT.
    I never test drove the CVT, but a small car like this is probably best-suited with a 5 speed manual. I also find having a clutch makes winter driving a little less harried; gives you that edge of control when you need to cut the engine's power.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even in sport mode you really had to be heavy on the gas. I honestly think that the 5 speed is a lot quicker if driven correctly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Assuming all fluids were in good shape, of adequate supply, and no leaks existed, the 1.2L should be turning about 5,325 rpm at 105 mph.

I would have to run an instrument (like a scangauge) on the coolant to ensure the coolant temp did not constantly increase ... but I'm guessing it would hit a manageable max and no longer climb. My contention is a Mirage should be able to run 105 mph for as long as it meets the requirements of the first sentence and has gas. With probably little to no side effect.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't driven a 5 speed mirage but have driven dozens of cvt ones. Some are quick and responsive and some are unresponsive turds. I had a driver mention the same thing the other day after driving a different Mirage for a day with similar mileage to his regular car. I've yet to figure out why.

I'm sure the 5speed is quicker than the cvt though sometimes speed is deceptive.
    The CVT that I test drove at the dealer was definitely in the turd category. I much prefer being able to keep the engine in peak power manually when I need to. My girlfriend however wasn’t happy that I bought the manual though because she can’t drive one...lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    The CVT that I test drove at the dealer was definitely in the turd category. I much prefer being able to keep the engine in peak power manually when I need to. My girlfriend however wasn’t happy that I bought the manual though because she can’t drive one...lol.
    It's never too late to learn. Besides, the Mirage has the lightest clutch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I commute 155 miles round trip at 70ish mph with no problems. At 70 it’s knocking out about 44 mpg with the 5 speed.
    Now that's a professional level commute! Good choice with the 5 speed. I have a CVT but when I purchase another Mirage I'll get a 5 speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)