Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highest constant RPM driving the Mirage, and the Mirage's top speed

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Highest constant RPM driving the Mirage, and the Mirage's top speed

Hey all I was wondering what people have done with their Mirages regarding the fastest they've driven theirs, also their highest constant RPM.

Of course I won't say what my record is for myself, my friend says his Mirage goes just over 100 mph and their engine was "cruising" over 5 grand 5000 rpm.

The Mirage isn't meant for high speed, around 130 km/h and after that the Mirage shakes a bit, a Lancer Sportback etc. is smoother at high speed...

yet Mitsu 3 banger motor at 5k constant in 5th gear ,the motor could take faster and higher RPMs, maybe if there is an apocalypse situation might need be useful for the car to be worked in.

___
    I read somewhere, here probably, the Space Star / Euro spec Mirages' top speed is over 180kms an hour, I wouldn't go THAT fast even if my Mirage had some sort of turbo, like the Rally car Mirage R5. That would not be a good car to get in a high speed crash with, same with any new Fiat 500 or Nissan Micra.

Last edited by dspace9; 03-22-2019 at 06:51 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Mitsubishi states that the Mirage's top speed is 107 mph. Sounds about right, though I don't know if this is the maximum speed the car can go or the maximum speed the car should go.

Given the light construction of the car, small brakes, wonky handling, and narrow, gripless tires, I'd never go anywhere near that fast. My car never goes over 50.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Mitsubishi states that the Mirage's top speed is 107 mph. Sounds about right, though I don't know if this is the maximum speed the car can go or the maximum speed the car should go.

Given the light construction of the car, small brakes, wonky handling, and narrow, gripless tires, I'd never go anywhere near that fast. My car never goes over 50.
    My 1.0L European model has a taller transmission than the 1.2L US model. Would not have bought it if the transmission were like that here.
    I usually drive around 100km/h, but on rare occaisions if late, have driven it for a few hours around 130-170km/h. Its quick enough, and handling is OK.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 2,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The Mirage isn't meant for high speed, around 130 km/h and after that the Mirage shakes a bit, a Lancer Sportback etc. is smoother at high speed...
    Get the tires re-balanced and see if that helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    My 1.0L European model has a taller transmission than the 1.2L US model. Would not have bought it if the transmission were like that here.
    I usually drive around 100km/h, but on rare occaisions if late, have driven it for a few hours around 130-170km/h. Its quick enough, and handling is OK.
    I think our final drive is 4.10:1. Do you know what final drive the European spec'd cars use?
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-22-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I think our final drive is 4.10:1. Do you know what final drive the European spec'd cars use?
    Europe: 0.85 (fifth) x 3.55 (final) = 3.01 total

US: 0.804 (fifth) x 4.055 (final) = 3.26 total

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-23-2019),Fummins (03-22-2019),MetroMPG (03-22-2019),mohammad (03-23-2022),Rockabilly Manta (03-23-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Europe: 0.85 (fifth) x 3.55 (final) = 3.01 total

US: 0.804 (fifth) x 4.055 (final) = 3.26 total
    In laymen's terms what do you think the different gear ratios in the European spec Mirage is for your daily driving, compared to the American? Perhaps it's more that you're driving the 1.0 L to account for the dif gear ratios?

I never really understood gear ratios but I get the gist, like the higher the number the more rotations the driveshaft does compared to the rear tire. Beyond that not really sure what a taller gear ratio is doing exactly.

Foama you are right the Mirage isn't bad at a high speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    In laymen's terms what do you think the different gear ratios in the European spec Mirage is for your daily driving, compared to the American? Perhaps it's more that you're driving the 1.0 L to account for the dif gear ratios?

I never really understood gear ratios but I get the gist, like the higher the number the more rotations the driveshaft does compared to the rear tire. Beyond that not really sure what a taller gear ratio is doing exactly.

Foama you are right the Mirage isn't bad at a high speed.
    In very simple terms:
    The European Mirage "Space Star" does exactly one turn of the crankshaft within the engine, and being in fifth gear the output shaft of the gearbox turns 1.176 times, which is the inverse of 0.85 : 1. The ratio for fifth gear is 0.85 : 1. You could also say, the engine turns 0.85 times for one full turn of the gearbox output shaft.

Now for the final ratio. The final ratio "differential ratio" is inbetween the output shaft of the gearbox and the driveshaft going to the wheels.
    At a final drive (transaxle, differential) with a ratio of 3.01, three point zero one turns of the output shaft of the gearbox make the wheels turn once when driving.

Otherwise said: If the first gear were 4.0 : 1, the engine would turn four times to make the output shaft of the gearbox turn once. If top gear were 0.85 to 1, the engine turns once for 1.176 turns of the output shaft of the gearbox.
    If the final drive were 5:1, five turns of the output shaft would make the wheels turn once.

Why is this important? If the engine revs at a low pace in top gear on the highway, it is a good thing, because you can always shift back to a lower gear if you need more power. For example for going up a hill.
    On the other hand if it revs higher than necessary in top gear, you can't shift up any more although it would be better, and thus it wastes fuel, makes more noise and vibrations, and wastes engine life.
    A tall gear ratio causes lower revs, and a short ratio causes higher revs.
    When comparing ratios (revs) of highway driving, consider the top gear ratio multiplied by the final drive ratio. This gives the total ratio.
    A car with too short total gear ratio is an enormous pita for anybody wanting to drive economically!

I personally don't want a car where the manufacturer thought the owners would be too stupid to change gears properly, and therefore specify a too short gear ratio for what they consider being Homer-Simpson-IQ rated car owners.

Roughly compared, European with 3.01 total next to US with 3.26 total means:
    With a European model running at 3010 rpm engine speed in top gear, the US model running parallel at the very same highway speed in top gear would be doing 3260rpm.
    Last edited by foama; 03-22-2019 at 06:43 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-22-2019),dspace9 (03-22-2019),MetroMPG (03-22-2019),Rockabilly Manta (03-23-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Roughly compared, European with 3.01 total next to US with 3.26 total means:
    With a European model running at 3010 rpm engine speed in top gear, the US model running parallel at the very same highway speed in top gear would be doing 3260rpm.
    I think for North Americans only 2% drive manual transmission cars, and the numbers keep dropping. Over in Europe the other way around. Maybe that's an exaggeration both ways not sure but it tells of something right.

So most North Americans don't know the shutter going reverse, or the lugging of a manual tranny car in stop go traffic... during their whole lives automatics. Did you know the speed limits in NY state is actually 55 mph so slower (posted) than 401 in Ontario/Quebec, and certainly slower than the freeways in your neck of the woods with the Autobahns

My 5 speed 1.2 Mirage at around 110 km/h revs around 3300 4th is fine too even third a bit too fast for 3rd gear, 85 km/h in 3rd in the Mirage is ok

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Here is the info we've collected on transmissions and gear ratios for the Mirage:

Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-22-2019),Rockabilly Manta (03-23-2019)