Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello Mirage Audiophiles!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hello Mirage Audiophiles!

Great forum and I'm glad to join (thank you Larry!). I don't own a Mirage but am part of the team at Rockford Fosgate that developed the Mirage and G4 upgrade kits. We drove several Mirages during our development process and always got lots of looks --- hoped it was for the audio system but perhaps the skittle colors helped!

Mitsubishi was great to work with on this project. We have supplied factory installed systems on Mitsubishi vehicles for almost 15 years, but these plug and play kits for the Mirage and G4 were the first kits available for dealers and Mirage owners to install. Some folks on the forum have reached out since we introduced them with questions and concerns --- this has identified some opportunities for improvement and reinforced our commitment to this type of product.

Please let me know if you have any questions, even if not about RF but other audio stuff. I live and breathe it! I will always try to answer openly and deal with concerns promptly, bringing in others as needed.

~ Dan V.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RF Audio Guy For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-22-2019),Eggman (03-22-2019),MirageSEFan (03-22-2019),Pryme (03-23-2019),Top_Fuel (03-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not an audiophile at all, but I think it's awesome that you're here!

As a former electronics tech, and former aircraft instrumentation tech... I'm always curious about "the process".

When you have a minute, what can you tell us that's interesting that we don't know? Like, what were your design goals? Certain frequency response characteristics? Certain dB levels? Were you focusing on sound from the driver's seat, or different positions in the car? Did you test for strange resonant vibrations and stuff? Just how involved was your "process"? And, of course, we know it's a Mirage, so cost and complexity was always going to have to be a major consideration.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RF Audio Guy View Post
    Great forum and I'm glad to join (thank you Larry!). I don't own a Mirage but am part of the team at Rockford Fosgate that developed the Mirage and G4 upgrade kits. We drove several Mirages during our development process and always got lots of looks --- hoped it was for the audio system but perhaps the skittle colors helped!

Mitsubishi was great to work with on this project. We have supplied factory installed systems on Mitsubishi vehicles for almost 15 years, but these plug and play kits for the Mirage and G4 were the first kits available for dealers and Mirage owners to install. Some folks on the forum have reached out since we introduced them with questions and concerns --- this has identified some opportunities for improvement and reinforced our commitment to this type of product.

Please let me know if you have any questions, even if not about RF but other audio stuff. I live and breathe it! I will always try to answer openly and deal with concerns promptly, bringing in others as needed.

~ Dan V.
    Hello RF Audio Guy Dan and welcome to the forum. It will be good to have you around.

In addition to Loren's excellent questions, I'm curious to know the differences between the standard radio tune and the display audio systems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Hello Dan. Thanks for stopping in and checking on things. We appreciate it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RF Audio Guy View Post

~ Dan V.
    Welcome to the forum Dan! I'm glad you could join us. Thank you for joining and thank you for your help with my amplifier software upgrade. I'm hoping to get everything installed this weekend. I can't wait to try out the new RF Premium Audio System.

Some questions had come to mind about the difference between the system for the Hatchback and the system for the G4 sedan.

To save space in the rear cargo area of the Hatchback, could a G4 system be mounted on top of the spare tire of the hatchback? Would it fit on the Hatchback spare tire opening? Would it have good sound characteristics in that space? Does the trunk carpet cover the G4 system?

Comparing the Hatchback to the G4 Sedan, are there any noticeable sound quality differences with the RF System in the Hatchback cargo area vs the G4 Sedan trunk? I would think having the G4 system mounted in the trunk would reduce some of the subs sound quality.

What speakers (size and specs) are in the Hatchback sub-woofer enclosure and the G4 sub-woofer enclosure?

Thanks again for all of your help and for joining the forum.

Larry

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a G4 owner, and interested in the G4 specific kit, do you have any pictures of your install that you could share,
    I have not been able to find much info on the G4 kit .
    I would find pictures or instructions useful to help me make up my mind.
    Thank you in advance, your input is appreciated

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Loren:

Thanks! And you're right --- it's always a compromise! Cost and waste are big considerations, as is performance. We try to re-use parts instead of replacing parts for a vehicle in this price range. Adding the subwoofer to the existing speakers allowed us to remove low frequency content from the door speakers, and this let us play them louder (about 6db) and clearer. By time aligning the speakers, we could get all the speakers' sound to arrive at the listener's ears at the same time, greatly improving dynamics, clarity and create a proper sound image in front of the listener.

The Mirage has limitations --- not having tweeters is a big one. We observed that human body parts blocked the opposite door speakers, and that the door grilles attenuated high-frequency from the near-side speaker. So we decided early to focus on the driver's seat, and tune each speaker to sound best for the driver. Since we re-used the stock speakers, we limited the power from our amp to those speakers. And that also dictated how much power to the subwoofer for a good tonal balance.

We use our measurement and tuning equipment to get us pretty close to our target frequency response and imaging --- we developed this sound over the years and it's good for most music and people. The last critical tweaking is done by ear, and we listen and adjust for every distortion and distraction.

We tend to tune each vehicle several times in order to understand production variability and give the Team a chance to evaluate and provide feedback. It was a fun project and I've enjoyed reminiscing over it just now...

Thanks for asking!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RF Audio Guy For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello RF Audio Guy Dan and welcome to the forum. It will be good to have you around.

In addition to Loren's excellent questions, I'm curious to know the differences between the standard radio tune and the display audio systems.
    Those headunits have different internal fixed EQ's so we also had to develop different EQ's in our amp to optimize each. I don't recall the exact differences between the 2 headunits, but highly recommend the right EQ curve for your radio.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RF Audio Guy For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-22-2019),MirageSEFan (03-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Larry! I've not tried to fit the G4 enclosure in the hatchback --- I know that the G4 is longer than the H/B, but not sure about the spare tire well. Mitsubishi confirmed that the subwoofers are not interchangeable.

But that G4 subwoofer sounds great! Because it's bolted to the vehicle, the subwoofer is very efficient and tuned up nicely. It fits under the stock false floor. If it did fit in the H/B, we would need to create a new tuning to integrate and optimize it to the rest of the system. Both the H/B and G4 use the same dual 6-1/2" subwoofer drivers (1 ohm SVC), in approximately the same enclosure volume.

~ Dan
    Last edited by RF Audio Guy; 03-22-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Confirmed incompatibility with G4 enclosure

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RF Audio Guy For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hope the attached pics help.

Name:  G4 Group Image.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  103.8 KB

G4 subwoofer.pdf

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RF Audio Guy For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-22-2019),MirageSEFan (03-22-2019)