Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Approx. what does the 60,000 mile Mirage maintenance job cost at a USA Mitsu dealer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know that the used car dealer did and oil/filter change (along with the front tire replacement, front brake job, & a bunch of inspections), but I'm not sure if they used conventional or synthetic. I also don't know for sure whether the previous owner stuck with synthetic oil either. I don't think conventional, if changed regularly would have hurt anything, but I think synthetic is the right thing to do for the rest of this Mirage's life. I think the expense is worth it.

I'll have to look at how easy it is to get at the filter and drain plug without elevating the Mirage, which I don't have a way to do. Maybe for the oil/filter change only intervals, I'll do it myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    I know that the used car dealer did and oil/filter change (along with the front tire replacement, front brake job, & a bunch of inspections), but I'm not sure if they used conventional or synthetic. I also don't know for sure whether the previous owner stuck with synthetic oil either. I don't think conventional, if changed regularly would have hurt anything, but I think synthetic is the right thing to do for the rest of this Mirage's life. I think the expense is worth it.

I'll have to look at how easy it is to get at the filter and drain plug without elevating the Mirage, which I don't have a way to do. Maybe for the oil/filter change only intervals, I'll do it myself.
    I added a Fumoto oil drain valve. I don't even need a wrench to drain the oil now, & I remove the oil filter from a standing position.

If you want to stick with 0W-20 oil, synthetic is your only option anyways. 0W-20 is the recommended oil for my 2011 Subaru Forester. Thus, it's been around for some time now. The nice thing about the Mirage is that it only takes 3 quarts. My Subaru takes 5.5 quarts. A 5-quart jug of synthetic oil doesn't get the job done.

You can lift your car with your car jack & set the front tires back down on something sturdy/solid. Don't rely on the jack to crawl underneath, but you can surely lift your car and set it back down on something. Also make sure your rear wheels are locked (parking brake) & blocked. It may be a bit of a hassle, but you can create some extra space underneath quite easily. You may not even need it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Most of the stuff recommended at the 60k service interval is just part of a dealership 'inspection'. "Inspect brake linings". "Inspect belt condition". "Inspect air filter". "Inspect tie rod ends". "Inspect this." "Inspect that."

Then they change your oil and charge you $300, or whatever. Just a HUUUUGE moneymaker for them. I did my air filter, manual trans gear oil, and a couple other things myself at 60k. Then I had a beer. Or maybe it was two.

If you just bought the car then I am sure this stuff was already done. These cars require very little in terms of regular maintenance. Oil changes are good for 7500 miles (way more actually), coolant is good for 120000 miles, spark plugs are good for 105000 miles, transmission fluids are good for 60000 miles. No points, no spark plug wires, no distributor caps, no fuel filter, etc, etc.

Keep the engine oil/filter changed, look at the air filter every now and then, change the transmission fluid if it hasn't been done, and leave the rest of your money in your pocket.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I added a Fumoto oil drain valve. I don't even need a wrench to drain the oil now, & I remove the oil filter from a standing position.

If you want to stick with 0W-20 oil, synthetic is your only option anyways. 0W-20 is the recommended oil for my 2011 Subaru Forester. Thus, it's been around for some time now. The nice thing about the Mirage is that it only takes 3 quarts. My Subaru takes 5.5 quarts. A 5-quart jug of synthetic oil doesn't get the job done.

You can lift your car with your car jack & set the front tires back down on something sturdy/solid. Don't rely on the jack to crawl underneath, but you can surely lift your car and set it back down on something. Also make sure your rear wheels are locked (parking brake) & blocked. It may be a bit of a hassle, but you can create some extra space underneath quite easily. You may not even need it.
    The 2015 Mirage's owner's manual says to only use Mitsubishi 0W20 Full Synthetic oil in the car. I won't only stick to the Mitsubishi label, otherwise I'll follow the manual on that. The Toyota-labeled full synthetic oil is 0W20, and it's the recommended oil for hybrids' gas motors, and some of us used it in Scions and Yarises; a Toyota mechanic recommended it to me for those non-hybrids before I bought a 2006 Scion.

I don't know anything about Fumoto oil valves. Does it move the oil filter to easier reach, of could it always be reached from above?

I have some car ramps, but they are very steep and I don't have a solid surface to set them on. I'm thinking of making some lower wooden ramps which I could drive up one side and down the other.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I need to get a copy of the used car dealer's inspection and service list, so I can eliminate as many of those 60k mile inspections at the Mitsubishidealer as possible, and limit the their service to proprietary stuff. The CVT fluid change would be one of those, but the 2015 manual says inspect fluid at 15K, 45K, 75K... and change it at 90K. The don't even recommend the car owner check the CVT fluid level, so I guess it's pretty special.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The 2015 Mirage's owner's manual says to only use Mitsubishi 0W20 Full Synthetic oil in the car. I won't only stick to the Mitsubishi label, otherwise I'll follow the manual on that. The Toyota-labeled full synthetic oil is 0W20, and it's the recommended oil for hybrids' gas motors, and some of us used it in Scions and Yarises; a Toyota mechanic recommended it to me for those non-hybrids before I bought a 2006 Scion.

I don't know anything about Fumoto oil valves. Does it move the oil filter to easier reach, of could it always be reached from above?

I have some car ramps, but they are very steep and I don't have a solid surface to set them on. I'm thinking of making some lower wooden ramps which I could drive up one side and down the other.
    Any 0W-20 oil will do. I personally use Mobil 1. The manufacturer of the oil doesn't matter, as it will generally meet the same specs.

A "Fumoto valve" takes the place of the oil drain plug on your oil pan. When you want to change the oil you just reach under and flip the valve open to drain it instead of having to put the car up on ramps and use a wrench to remove the plug. They are pretty cool. Haven't installed one on my car yet, but I will. The filter can be reached from the top pretty easily if you don't have gorilla arms. Fortunately, you will not have to fight the original filter off of your engine. We suspect these filters were installed at the factory by some crazy Thai bodybuilder hopped up on crack cocaine.

Honestly, it can't hurt to inspect some of the things that Mitsubishi tells you to inspect at 60k, just for peace-of-mind. But if there were any 'problem areas' on these cars that needed special attention starting at a certain mileage we'd certainly know about them here.

And we'd tell you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I'm probably not going to have the 60.000 mile maintenance done until about 61 or 62 k, since a lot of things were just checked & some repaired by the used car dealer I just bought the Mirage from. So, consequently, the warranty stuff is irrelevant to me.
    For someone who seems concerned about all this, I do not understand your logic at all. Your car is under a 5 year/60,000 mile bumper-to- bumper warranty. Let's say the dealer finds a drive shaft boot is torn. Fixing it is on them. Waiting to 60,0001 miles and everything that may need to be done is on YOU!

You are putting all your faith on a used car dealer, & those are last people on the planet Earth that I would put my faith on. I would trust buying from an original owner more than a used car dealer.

None of this really matters, and your Mirage is probably fine. I just wouldn't waste my money going to a dealer, especially after the bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired. These are not complicated cars. If you don't feel qualified to work on them, most mechanics are not going to be overwhelmed by working on a Mirage. Some may actually find it refreshingly simple.

It's your car and you need to do what you feel is best, but I don't follow your logic at all!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Any 0W-20 oil will do. I personally use Mobil 1. The manufacturer of the oil doesn't matter, as it will generally meet the same specs.

A "Fumoto valve" takes the place of the oil drain plug on your oil pan. When you want to change the oil you just reach under and flip the valve open to drain it instead of having to put the car up on ramps and use a wrench to remove the plug. They are pretty cool. Haven't installed one on my car yet, but I will. The filter can be reached from the top pretty easily if you don't have gorilla arms. Fortunately, you will not have to fight the original filter off of your engine. We suspect these filters were installed at the factory by some crazy Thai bodybuilder hopped up on crack cocaine.

Honestly, it can't hurt to inspect some of the things that Mitsubishi tells you to inspect at 60k, just for peace-of-mind. But if there were any 'problem areas' on these cars that needed special attention starting at a certain mileage we'd certainly know about them here.

And we'd tell you.
    Did you just get the "standard" Fumoto valve? Their website shows a half-dozen or more variations for the Mirage.

The oil drain plug faces to the rear, at the bottom of the rear side of the oil pan, isn't that right? If it faced front, or down, I might worry about the lever on a Fumoto valve catching on something, driving on our local gravel roads. Do those plastic lever clips for the Fomoto valves stay securely in place?

I'll have to see if I can reach the oil filter from the top. If I can, and if I got a Fumoto valve, it would almost make oil changes too easy to ever let anybody else do it... Ha, ha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I installed a Fumoto valve and wrote about it in my Garage entry here. It makes oil changes neat and tidy.

With it I need no tools to do an oil change. In addition I route the valve drain tube into an old oil bottle instead of a catch pan and I don't spill a drop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I installed a Fumoto valve and wrote about it in my Garage entry here. It makes oil changes neat and tidy.

With it I need no tools to do an oil change. In addition I route the valve drain tube into an old oil bottle instead of a catch pan and I don't spill a drop.

Eggman, how do you avoid a mess when taking off a horizontal oil filter?