Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Approx. what does the 60,000 mile Mirage maintenance job cost at a USA Mitsu dealer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    Did you just get the "standard" Fumoto valve? Their website shows a half-dozen or more variations for the Mirage.

The oil drain plug faces to the rear, at the bottom of the rear side of the oil pan, isn't that right? If it faced front, or down, I might worry about the lever on a Fumoto valve catching on something, driving on our local gravel roads. Do those plastic lever clips for the Fomoto valves stay securely in place?

I'll have to see if I can reach the oil filter from the top. If I can, and if I got a Fumoto valve, it would almost make oil changes too easy to ever let anybody else do it... Ha, ha.
    I peered down into the darkness between the front of the engine and the radiator and found the current bright white oil filter pretty easy to see. What's more the mechanic at the used car dealer wrote on it "3.17 Qts 0W20" with a magic marker, so I know he put full synthetic in there! I have already checked the oil and found it right at the full line, so I know that the fractional extra oil wasn't over filling.

I think I could touch, even grab the oil filter, but I'm not sure how much leverage I'd have if I tried to unscrew it. Would some kind of wrench and my and hand both go down there.....maybe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I peered down into the darkness between the front of the engine and the radiator and found the current bright white oil filter pretty easy to see. What's more the mechanic at the used car dealer wrote on it "3.17 Qts 0W20" with a magic marker, so I know he put full synthetic in there! I have already checked the oil and found it right at the full line, so I know that the fractional extra oil wasn't over filling.

I think I could touch, even grab the oil filter, but I'm not sure how much leverage I'd have if I tried to unscrew it. Would some kind of wrench and my and hand both go down there.....maybe.
    I have always done my own oil changes, & my first car was a 1978 Honda Civic Wagon. Thus, I have done a number of different cars over the years. Changing oil in a Mirage is pretty straight forward and easy.

Since the oil drain plug is on the back side of the oil pan, raising the front of the car slightly isn't going reduce the draining of oil. It may actually enhance it. Adding a Fumoto drain valve isn't necessary, but they do simplify the process. It eliminates having to replace washers on the drain plug, too. I have the Fumoto F106S, & I would recommend this one. If you want to add a short hose, you can. I don't find that necessary. I still use an oil pan, because the filter is going to drip some anyways. I like the F106S, because it's a simpler design. The F106SX is more expensive/complex and really not necessary for the Mirage. Even if they were the same price, I would pick the F106S. Since the drain plug is on the back side, I am not concerned about something smashing into it. The oil valve lever is secure even without the plastic lever clip, but the clip does add some extra security.

The Fumoto valves do go on sale at times. It's not usually a huge sale, but maybe enough to cover the shipping.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=393392

I always remove the filter from the top of the car while standing up. Having a oil filter socket that fits on a standard 3/8" ratchet wrench is worth having. If you need a little extra leverage to remove an oil filter, you'll have it. The best thing to do is buy the oil filter socket while purchasing your next oil filter. The factory oil filters come off hard. The original factory filters may have required a metal socket, but a plastic or metal one should work now. If not, you are putting your oil filter on to tight. The filter needs to be snug, but you don't want to over tighten it. I've seen a quick lube place over tighten an oil filter stripping the threads of the oil filter. It was a new vehicles (first oil change). The filter slipped off, & the entire engine was ruined before the driver realized something was wrong. They didn't make it more than a mile or two down the road after the filter fell off. The oil lube place had to replace the engine under their insurance.

You don't need jack stands to change oil. You can lift the car with your Mirage car jack & set the front wheels down on something sturdy, or you can build a ramp out of wood.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...expensive-Ramp

The ramp built above is probably higher than you need. Depends how skinny you are?

I have a floor jack, but I tend to use a old scissor car jack I have lying around. I bought a couple extra car jacks at a junk yard for $5 a piece years ago. I don't mess with the one tucked away in my Mirage. I've used two cheap scissors car jacks at the same time to lift both of the front forks of a motorcycle (allowing me to remove the front tire). Thus, I have a couple extra jacks lying around.

If you install a Fumoto valve (using a Crescent wrench or box end wrench), you would only need an oil filter socket and ratchet drive to do all of your future oil changes. If you don't put on your filter to tight, you may not even need the oil filter socket. Given the oil filter location it helps to have one. If I don't have to crawl under a car to remove an oil filter, I take advantage of that.

Changing oil is not a big deal. It's something I would rather do myself, unless free oil changes came with the purchase of the car. I have not stated anything new here. Most things are covered in other parts of this forum. I am just trying to address some of your specific questions as best I can.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-25-2019 at 05:33 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Eggman, how do you avoid a mess when taking off a horizontal oil filter?
    That's what I use a catch pan for. I use a disposable aluminum baking pan for it. I've used it for oil changes for years now - I just no longer need it to catch the sump drainage.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-25-2019 at 10:14 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    All good points Mark. I have some observations to include:
    1. I say get the drain tube. From a catch pan I usually transfer to an old oil bottle for transport to a disposal center. Using a drain tube allows draining right into a bottle from the start, saving a step and eliminating spills. Worth the cost of the Fumoto clip-on adapter and tube kit.
    2. The F106SX may cost a couple bucks more, but it allows orienting the valve in any position you like. Their other designs don't. Again, to me, it's worth the extra couple of bucks. And the F106SX fits a bunch of other vehicles, so there's that.
    3. Most filters have instructions for installation which are a.) lubricate the gasket with clean oil before installation and b.) tighten a quarter turn after the gasket makes contact. One should not need oil filter tools if these instructions are followed. I suspect the factory did not lubricate oil filter gaskets upon installation.
    4. Using two scissor jacks is an interesting idea, though something tells me that it is debatable whether they would be any safer than a floor jack. In any case, I don't think it's a bad idea to check on your roadside flat tire kit (spare tire, jack & associated tools) at least once a year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    4. Using two scissor jacks is an interesting idea, though something tells me that it is debatable whether they would be any safer than a floor jack. In any case, I don't think it's a bad idea to check on your roadside flat tire kit (spare tire, jack & associated tools) at least once a year.
    I never use two scissor jacks. I just have a couple extra ones lying around. I will use one scissor jack to lift one side of the car, place the front tire on something, and then I will do the other side with the same scissor jack. My point is that you can get one @ a junk yard for $5. You don't have to have an expensive floor jack. If you use your jack with your car, you don't have to buy any jack. I am not discussing safety here. The scissor jacks lift the Mirage easily, & they clip perfectly onto the four lift points. I used one the other day to take my snow tires off. I lifted and changed one wheel at a time. I wouldn't use any jack to work under a car. I use a jack to change tires or place the car on something else if I am going under it.

Some people live in apartments or don't have garages. I could see why they may not want to mess with or own a floor jack.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All good points Mark. I have some observations to include:
    1. I say get the drain tube. From a catch pan I usually transfer to an old oil bottle for transport to a disposal center. Using a drain tube allows draining right into a bottle from the start, saving a step and eliminating spills. Worth the cost of the Fumoto clip-on adapter and tube kit.
    I would never mess with a tube. I tried one once, & I am never doing that again. It requires lifting the car higher to get a jug under it. I prefer the tray (old plastic dish pan or kitty litter tray), because it allows me to catch any oil dripping from the oil filter, too. I have never removed a oil filter without dripping oil, except the top mounted ones on the modern Subaru engines.

I change oil in lots of engines (ATV, UTV, two vehicles, log splitter, rototiller, compact tractor, riding lawnmower, push mower, etc....) I keep an old funnel in a ice cream bucket and plastic dish pan (or kitty litter tray) in a plastic bag. I prefer dropping the oil in some sort of pan or tray. I use the old funnel to fill containers to the top. I see no advantage in using a tube. I think the tube is a waste of money, but if this is your only engine you have to work on it may be worthwhile. In that case, you can buy a piece of tubing at any hardware store for a few cents.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    3. Most filters have instructions for installation which are a.) lubricate the gasket with clean oil before installation and b.) tighten a quarter turn after the gasket makes contact. One should not need oil filter tools if these instructions are followed. I suspect the factory did not lubricate oil filter gaskets upon installation.
    Oiling the gasket on an oil filter has always been standard practice. Having the oil filter socket insures you getting the oil filter off regardless of who or how it was put on. It's cheap & worth having. Who wants to drop their oil and then discover they can't get their oil filter off?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I use a catch pan for. I use a disposable aluminum baking pan for it. I've used it for oil changes for years now - I just no longer need it to catch the sump drainage.
    I didn't mean: "how does one avoid a mess on the ground" when taking off a horizontal oil filter.

I should have more more explicitly made clear that I was asking * how does one avoid the mess of oil dripping down the front of the engine * when removing a horizontal oil filter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't mean: "how does one avoid a mess on the ground" when taking off a horizontal oil filter.

I should have more more explicitly made clear that I was asking * how does one avoid the mess of oil dripping down the front of the engine * when removing a horizontal oil filter?
    That's a good reason for not lifting the front end any more than necessary. The Mirage has a little drip tray under the filter that actually catches and directs the oil away from the engine. It's a awesome little feature that I have never seen on any other car that I have worked on.

I remove my filter from the top while making sure a tray in directly below it. Despite what anyone says, I would have an oil filter socket available. I always find myself using one even though I oil the gasket. I would rather have an oil filter on a little to tight than a little to loose, but that's me. It's a little awkward to work around the radiator hose, but it's easy enough with a small racket and oil filter socket.

I usually take a paper towel or rag and wipe off that little tray under the oil filter before installing the new one. I seldom pay for an oil change, & I have changing oil in things since my 1970s Rupp mini bike as a kid. Changing oil on a Mirage is not hard to do. I trust myself to do it right more than some quick lube places. Plus, I am in control of the oil and filter being used that way. For some people, it's not worth the effort. I get that, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's a good reason for not lifting the front end any more than necessary. The Mirage has a little drip tray under the filter that actually catches and directs the oil away from the engine. It's a awesome little feature that I have never seen on any other car that I have worked on.

I remove my filter from the top while making sure a tray in directly below it. Despite what anyone says, I would have an oil filter socket available. I always find myself using one even though I oil the gasket. I would rather have an oil filter on a little to tight than a little to loose, but that's me. It's a little awkward to work around the radiator hose, but it's easy enough with a small racket and oil filter socket.

I usually take a paper towel or rag and wipe off that little tray under the oil filter before installing the new one. I seldom pay for an oil change, & I have changing oil in things since my 1970s Rupp mini bike as a kid. Changing oil on a Mirage is not hard to do. I trust myself to do it right more than some quick lube places. Plus, I am in control of the oil and filter being used that way. For some people, it's not worth the effort. I get that, too!
    I suppose a person could raise the front to drain the oil, and then lower the car to level again before removing and replacing the filter, if that prevented some of the filter removal oil spillage. It's good to know there is that little tray below the filter.