Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage 1.0 and LPG ???

Country
    Italy
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.0 and LPG ???

I want to buy the 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage lpg (Space Star GPL in Italy) . Does this car work well with LPG gas? I Heard that japanese Motors arent capable of LPG. What are your experencies? Is this car reliable?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I had may cars with LPG before. My SpaceStar runs only on petrol, because it will not withstand LPG for any notable period of time! The valve seats in the cylinder head will burn away! This applies to the 1.0L and 1.2L versions.

If you do change it to LPG, you will be happy only for a short time, until you will need a complete cylinder head, and that costs very much. It is certainly not worth it!

If you want a cheap car that will run well on LPG for its entire life, consider a 8V Punto, Panda or Seicento. Their 16V versions are not for LPG.
    Last edited by foama; 03-24-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Country
    Italy
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I had may cars with LPG before. My SpaceStar runs only on petrol, because it will not withstand LPG for any notable period of time! The valve seats in the cylinder head will burn away! This applies to the 1.0L and 1.2L versions.

If you do change it to LPG, you will be happy only for a short time, until you will need a complete cylinder head, and that costs very much. It is certainly not worth it!

If you want a cheap car that will run well on LPG for its entire life, consider a 8V Punto, Panda or Seicento. Their 16V versions are not for LPG.
    I Heard that the Opel Corsa 1.4 90cv works well with LPG.
    What about kia/Hyundai Motors?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanni93 View Post
    I Heard that the Opel Corsa 1.4 90cv works well with LPG.
    What about kia/Hyundai Motors?
    I have also heard a lot, but often one contradicts the other, and in the end you get to hear lots of rubbish. It would remain your car and your problem.

You could do a search for official LPG blacklists, contact manufacturers such as BRC and others. Some might offer a valve-lube "solution" that gives some folks peace of mind without doing anything about the root cause, in the end a waste of money.
    The 8V Punto / Panda / Seicento are definitely safe with LPG, no issues to be expected, no experiments. Just reliable and cheap LPG solutions.

Kia and Hyundai are very often powered by LPG in Korea, but if their European versions have LPG-capable valve seats has remained a mystery to me. The LPG versions usually have a higher compression ratio.

Last edited by foama; 03-24-2019 at 01:16 PM.