Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will do your own oil change void the factory warranty?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lucky to have the Magnuson-Moss act here,If we are required to have a dealer do maintenance or use their parts then it must be supplied free of charge

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Do them yourself, log mileage on your receipts. Literally never been a problem for anybody in North America.
    Hmm not sure that's actually the case, whether you do your own maintenance, or not is up to you, but the very person you just replied to said Mitsubishi told them that changing your own oil on a new Mirage might well be a warranty voiding issue. They're sticklers with this stuff - some people do it anyway and dismiss this fact.

Maybe it doesn't matter sorry, but to me why buy an expensive car to replace the oil on your own?
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-25-2019 at 01:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Vague means there lies room for interpretation, vague doesnt mean you can more easily be denied warranty.

Why are you insisting on making this so difficult? Oil changes must be performed, nowhere does it state that it must be done by a licensed mechanic. Oil changes must be recorded by receipt, nowhere does it state that the SERVICE must be paid for.

Just do your own changes, and keep the receipts, as required by Mistubishi. Otherwise, stop attempting to make a mountain out of a molehill.
    I'm not so sure about that nickles. I see what you mean about an owner doing their own service, and it makes sense to me.

That being said, your opinion contradicts what the Mitsubishi Motors Canadian corporate office says about the matter. Since you won't be providing warranty service, I can see how one would place more emphasis on corporate's word over yours.

I'm not so sure luckyforrest is the one making this difficult.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Sort of related to the topic...

My new Mirage included a free Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. I've never been much of a fan of these things because I always assumed there was some gimmick or gotcha involved...or the fine print would exclude nearly everything possible.

One stipulation of the warranty coverage was that I was required to have the oil changed at a professional garage (not necessarily a dealer)...and that garage had to report my odometer reading at each oil change to an 800 number administered by the warranty company. I asked if I could do oil changes myself. They said, no...it has to be a professional technician. So I reached into my wallet and pulled out my ASE Master Certification card and dropped it on the guy's desk and asked the question again. He just looked at me for a moment and said...uhhh, you have to have an "official" facility do it.

Needless to say...I still do all of my maintenance and I guess I'll never get to take advantage of that Lifetime Warranty (whatever it's really worth).
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-25-2019 at 03:26 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Sort of related to the topic...

My new Mirage included a free Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. I've never been much of a fan of these things because I always assumed there was some gimmick or gotcha involved...or the fine print would exclude nearly everything possible.

One stipulation of the warranty coverage was that I was required to have the oil changed at a professional garage (not necessarily a dealer)...and that garage had to report my odometer reading at each oil change to an 800 number administered by the warranty company. I asked if I could do oil changes myself. They said, no...it has to be a professional technician. So I reached into my wallet and pulled out my ASE Master Certification card and dropped it on the guy's desk and asked the question again. He just looked at me for a moment and said...uhhh, you have to have an "official" facility do it.

Needless to say...I still do all of my maintenance and I guess I'll never get to take advantage of that Lifetime Warranty (whever it's really worth).
    My dealership hands out a lifetime/unlimited mileage warranty with new car purchases, & they said the opposite. Changing my own oil or having someone else do it isn't a problem. Keep in mind - My new Mirage was delivered to me from a dealership 4 hours away & we did the paperwork on my kitchen table. Thus, I asked this question.

I should read the fine print. If my Mirage would blow up, I would have to haul it from Wisconsin to Minnesota on a flat bed truck or something. Thus, I don't see myself ever using this warranty either.

Subaru replaced my entire short block on my 2011 Forester with 90,000 miles last fall. I bought the Forester used in 2013 with 15,000 miles on it. I changed oil/filter every 6,000 miles (dealership recommends 7,500 miles). I didn't buy my used Forester from the Madison dealership that did the work. They didn't question anything, nor did they ask for my maintenance records. It failed their oil consumption test. I knew it would, and they replaced the engine. They also gave me a loaner (new Outback). In this case, a class action lawsuit took care of everything for me. The class action lawsuit extended the engine warranty to 8 years/100,000 miles, & I took advantage of that. I have an engine with less than 1500 miles on it now, because I am racking up the miles on my Mirage instead!
    Last edited by Mark; 03-25-2019 at 03:22 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Needless to say...I still do all of my maintenance and I guess I'll never get to take advantage of that Lifetime Warranty (whatever it's really worth).
    My Mirage came with "Free Tires for Life." It even came with a cute little certificate. All I have to do is never get an unrepairable puncture, wear every tire down to the point where I could get ticketed for driving on them, and bring the car into the dealer where I bought it for every single maintenance and inspection item, ever.

Needless to say, I will be buying my own tires when the time comes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-26-2019)