Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Will do your own oil change void the factory warranty?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    48
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Question Will do your own oil change void the factory warranty?

    Hello Mirage owners, I gave a call to Mitsubishi Canada and asked if it is ok to do my own oil change and keep all the receipts for oil and filter, but the customer service told me it is ok to do that at the dealer or certified mechanic but not by yourself. Is that true? Thanks!


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Squamish
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 96 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Hello Mirage owners, I gave a call to Mitsubishi Canada and asked if it is ok to do my own oil change and keep all the receipts for oil and filter, but the customer service told me it is ok to do that at the dealer or certified mechanic but not by yourself. Is that true? Thanks!
    Do them yourself, log mileage on your receipts. Literally never been a problem for anybody in North America.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

    luckyforrest (03-24-2019)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,125
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 711 Posts
    That may actually be true in Canada, but it isn't in the US because of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. This law codified and standardized rules and responsibilities pertaining to warranties for both manufacturers and consumers.

    According to this act, a consumer may perform their own maintenance work. But a manufacturer may require documentation from the owner (receipts, etc) to prove that the consumer did in fact perform the maintenance in order for the warranty to be honored. It also prohibited manufacturers from voiding vehicle warranties based on most owner modifications of a vehicle (voiding the engine warranty because the radio was changed, for example).

    I am not sure if Canada has similar legislation, but I want to say they don't?

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

    luckyforrest (03-24-2019),poorman1 (03-24-2019)

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    48
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That may actually be true in Canada, but it isn't in the US because of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. This law codified and standardized rules and responsibilities pertaining to warranties for both manufacturers and consumers.

    According to this act, a consumer may perform their own maintenance work. But a manufacturer may require documentation from the owner (receipts, etc) to prove that the consumer did in fact perform the maintenance in order for the warranty to be honored. It also prohibited manufacturers from voiding vehicle warranties based on most owner modifications of a vehicle (voiding the engine warranty because the radio was changed, for example).

    I am not sure if Canada has similar legislation, but I want to say they don't?
    I guess so, stupid Canada.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)


  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Squamish
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 96 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    I guess so, stupid Canada.
    The only dealer I have EVER heard of having a problem with anything remotely similar to this was a Nissan and a Mazda dealership back home voiding the warranties on vehicles who had their oil changes performed at a local quick lube place which was busted for cleaning up old filters and only draining and adding a litre or so when people had changes done.

    Call Mistubishi Canada, not your dealer. They will tell you it's just fine.

    We may not have the fancy law but we dont need it. No dealer had denied engine warranty due to a DIY oil change that was properly done

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

    luckyforrest (03-24-2019)

  9. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    48
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    The only dealer I have EVER heard of having a problem with anything remotely similar to this was a Nissan and a Mazda dealership back home voiding the warranties on vehicles who had their oil changes performed at a local quick lube place which was busted for cleaning up old filters and only draining and adding a litre or so when people had changes done.

    Call Mistubishi Canada, not your dealer. They will tell you it's just fine.

    We may not have the fancy law but we dont need it. No dealer had denied engine warranty due to a DIY oil change that was properly done
    I indeed called Mitsu Canada located in Mississauga on Friday, the lady told me it may void the warranty unless I do it at a mechanic shop or dealer.... confused

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)


  10. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Squamish
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 96 Times in 59 Posts
    Find where it actually states that in your warranty paperwork. Guess what, it doesn't, so she is wrong. If it's not in writing it's not binding.

    This is all you will find in the Canadian Warranty paperwork.

    "Receipts covering the performance of maintenance services should be retained in the event questions arise concerning maintenance. These receipts should be transferred to each subsequent owner of this Vehicle. MMNA reserves the right to deny warranty coverage if the Vehicle has not been properly maintained. However, denial will not be based solely on the absence of maintenance records."

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)


  11. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    48
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Find where it actually states that in your warranty paperwork. Guess what, it doesn't, so she is wrong. If it's not in writing it's not binding.

    This is all you will find in the Canadian Warranty paperwork.

    "Receipts covering the performance of maintenance services should be retained in the event questions arise concerning maintenance. These receipts should be transferred to each subsequent owner of this Vehicle. MMNA reserves the right to deny warranty coverage if the Vehicle has not been properly maintained. However, denial will not be based solely on the absence of maintenance records."
    Thanks! But it is still vague, are receipts for performance of maintenance the same as receipts for the oil and filter? I wish Canada has a similar law as that in the states.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)


  12. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Squamish
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 96 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Thanks! But it is still vague, are receipts for performance of maintenance the same as receipts for the oil and filter? I wish Canada has a similar law as that in the states.
    Vague means there lies room for interpretation, vague doesnt mean you can more easily be denied warranty.

    Why are you insisting on making this so difficult? Oil changes must be performed, nowhere does it state that it must be done by a licensed mechanic. Oil changes must be recorded by receipt, nowhere does it state that the SERVICE must be paid for.

    Just do your own changes, and keep the receipts, as required by Mistubishi. Otherwise, stop attempting to make a mountain out of a molehill.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

    poorman1 (03-24-2019)

  14. #10
    Senior Member DonkeyPal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Central Illinos
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
    Does your Canadian owners manual give instructions about owner-performed oil changes? If it does, without any disclaimer about voiding the warranty, that should further undercut what dealer and manufacturer people are telling you.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •