Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will do your own oil change void the factory warranty?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Will do your own oil change void the factory warranty?

Hello Mirage owners, I gave a call to Mitsubishi Canada and asked if it is ok to do my own oil change and keep all the receipts for oil and filter, but the customer service told me it is ok to do that at the dealer or certified mechanic but not by yourself. Is that true? Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Hello Mirage owners, I gave a call to Mitsubishi Canada and asked if it is ok to do my own oil change and keep all the receipts for oil and filter, but the customer service told me it is ok to do that at the dealer or certified mechanic but not by yourself. Is that true? Thanks!
    Do them yourself, log mileage on your receipts. Literally never been a problem for anybody in North America.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (03-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    That may actually be true in Canada, but it isn't in the US because of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. This law codified and standardized rules and responsibilities pertaining to warranties for both manufacturers and consumers.

According to this act, a consumer may perform their own maintenance work. But a manufacturer may require documentation from the owner (receipts, etc) to prove that the consumer did in fact perform the maintenance in order for the warranty to be honored. It also prohibited manufacturers from voiding vehicle warranties based on most owner modifications of a vehicle (voiding the engine warranty because the radio was changed, for example).

I am not sure if Canada has similar legislation, but I want to say they don't?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (03-24-2019),poorman1 (03-24-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That may actually be true in Canada, but it isn't in the US because of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. This law codified and standardized rules and responsibilities pertaining to warranties for both manufacturers and consumers.

According to this act, a consumer may perform their own maintenance work. But a manufacturer may require documentation from the owner (receipts, etc) to prove that the consumer did in fact perform the maintenance in order for the warranty to be honored. It also prohibited manufacturers from voiding vehicle warranties based on most owner modifications of a vehicle (voiding the engine warranty because the radio was changed, for example).

I am not sure if Canada has similar legislation, but I want to say they don't?
    I guess so, stupid Canada.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I guess so, stupid Canada.
    The only dealer I have EVER heard of having a problem with anything remotely similar to this was a Nissan and a Mazda dealership back home voiding the warranties on vehicles who had their oil changes performed at a local quick lube place which was busted for cleaning up old filters and only draining and adding a litre or so when people had changes done.

Call Mistubishi Canada, not your dealer. They will tell you it's just fine.

We may not have the fancy law but we dont need it. No dealer had denied engine warranty due to a DIY oil change that was properly done

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

luckyforrest (03-24-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    The only dealer I have EVER heard of having a problem with anything remotely similar to this was a Nissan and a Mazda dealership back home voiding the warranties on vehicles who had their oil changes performed at a local quick lube place which was busted for cleaning up old filters and only draining and adding a litre or so when people had changes done.

Call Mistubishi Canada, not your dealer. They will tell you it's just fine.

We may not have the fancy law but we dont need it. No dealer had denied engine warranty due to a DIY oil change that was properly done
    I indeed called Mitsu Canada located in Mississauga on Friday, the lady told me it may void the warranty unless I do it at a mechanic shop or dealer.... confused

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Find where it actually states that in your warranty paperwork. Guess what, it doesn't, so she is wrong. If it's not in writing it's not binding.

This is all you will find in the Canadian Warranty paperwork.

"Receipts covering the performance of maintenance services should be retained in the event questions arise concerning maintenance. These receipts should be transferred to each subsequent owner of this Vehicle. MMNA reserves the right to deny warranty coverage if the Vehicle has not been properly maintained. However, denial will not be based solely on the absence of maintenance records."

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Find where it actually states that in your warranty paperwork. Guess what, it doesn't, so she is wrong. If it's not in writing it's not binding.

This is all you will find in the Canadian Warranty paperwork.

"Receipts covering the performance of maintenance services should be retained in the event questions arise concerning maintenance. These receipts should be transferred to each subsequent owner of this Vehicle. MMNA reserves the right to deny warranty coverage if the Vehicle has not been properly maintained. However, denial will not be based solely on the absence of maintenance records."
    Thanks! But it is still vague, are receipts for performance of maintenance the same as receipts for the oil and filter? I wish Canada has a similar law as that in the states.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks! But it is still vague, are receipts for performance of maintenance the same as receipts for the oil and filter? I wish Canada has a similar law as that in the states.
    Vague means there lies room for interpretation, vague doesnt mean you can more easily be denied warranty.

Why are you insisting on making this so difficult? Oil changes must be performed, nowhere does it state that it must be done by a licensed mechanic. Oil changes must be recorded by receipt, nowhere does it state that the SERVICE must be paid for.

Just do your own changes, and keep the receipts, as required by Mistubishi. Otherwise, stop attempting to make a mountain out of a molehill.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does your Canadian owners manual give instructions about owner-performed oil changes? If it does, without any disclaimer about voiding the warranty, that should further undercut what dealer and manufacturer people are telling you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)