Thread: Rubbing sounds after car frozen in place!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rubbing sounds after car frozen in place!

I drove through a bunch of water and then parked it literally within a 100 feet of this on a REALLY cold day. It was like -10 outside. When I went to leave the car was literally frozen in place. I gunned it in reverse and forward and finally got it loose. I could tell there was ice on the brake rotors as there was a pulsing sensation for a while until I really hit the brakes and melted the ice.

There is now a strange rubbing sound when accelerating, especially if turning at any meaningful angle. This is mainly at slow speeds in low gears but I can also hear it if I really hit in in 5th gear at highway speeds as well. There is no noise when braking and the brakes seem normal.

The CV axles seem to be in place and the boots are intact. I have read that the backing plates on brake pads can be broken loose from the pad. I replaced the pads within the last 10,000 miles with the AutoZone premium option. I figure if the pads were frozen to the rotors and I really gunned it that might have busted something.

The weather has really stunk here, otherwise I would have removed the front wheels and checked the front brakes.

What do you think?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I drove through a bunch of water and then parked it literally within a 100 feet of this on a REALLY cold day. It was like -10 outside. When I went to leave the car was literally frozen in place. I gunned it in reverse and forward and finally got it loose. I could tell there was ice on the brake rotors as there was a pulsing sensation for a while until I really hit the brakes and melted the ice.

There is now a strange rubbing sound when accelerating, especially if turning at any meaningful angle. This is mainly at slow speeds in low gears but I can also hear it if I really hit in in 5th gear at highway speeds as well. There is no noise when braking and the brakes seem normal.

The CV axles seem to be in place and the boots are intact. I have read that the backing plates on brake pads can be broken loose from the pad. I replaced the pads within the last 10,000 miles with the AutoZone premium option. I figure if the pads were frozen to the rotors and I really gunned it that might have busted something.

The weather has really stunk here, otherwise I would have removed the front wheels and checked the front brakes.

What do you think?

Conor
    Could it be the rear drums? Also how was there deep water and -10 temps all at the same time lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I drove through a bunch of water and then parked it literally within a 100 feet of this on a REALLY cold day. It was like -10 outside. When I went to leave the car was literally frozen in place. I gunned it in reverse and
    Get your funny sounding car checked by the experts unless you are one

What sound do you hear when you hit the brakes? They take most of the force of the car braking.

Something else might be wrong with your drivewheel if the noise is coming from the passenger side wheel, you might have an issue with your drivetrain.

Even if you just had your brake pads checked I'd get the car checked. Don't park the car in the water where it freezes? sorry about it all My Mirage starts up fine and goes in -30 Canadian middle of the night temperatures "dry cold" outside, so you should get your car looked at, unless you're a mechanic. I'm not but if it's making a weird noise get it checked by the experts

Does it drive straight? is there weird things about accelerating? AKA tranny

Those drums last forever you have to baby your Mirage more sorry

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Brakes are fine then (emphasis added.)

Have a look at this thread and see if anything matches your situation: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Also how was there deep water and -10 temps all at the same time lol
    A water line break can cause this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'd wait till it thaws out. If all the ice is melted and you still have noise, then I'd check things out. Or, you could go to a car wash and that would remove any ice. What I'm saying is I think its just ice build up, not an actual issue.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The car wasn't parked in water that froze. It was driven through water and then parked. A quick cold front came through and froze anything that was liquid. I have figured out not to use the parking brake in extreme cold as well since the rear drums can really freeze.

The sound is definitely from the front end. I will check out the exhaust hangers and front brakes myself and plan to take it in if nothing is obvious. I will just jack it up and remove the wheels as it is easy to check the brakes.

I checked the other thread and most of the noise seems to be from the CVT. Mine is a manual.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And all are easy checks to perform. Here's hoping you find something simple and obvious.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The car wasn't parked in water that froze. It was driven through water and then parked.
    Best of luck getting your car issue resolved, sounds like you have a plan in place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)