Thread: Weathertech Issue

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Weathertech Issue

With a slew of parts arriving for our Mirage, I finally got the weathertech mats unboxed and in our 18 Mirage

The rear mat - Perfect fit
    Drivers mat - Perfect fit
    Front passenger mat - terrible fit, and has hook holes, but the Mirage doesnt have hooks for the mats.

The sales image shows no hook holes, so I emailed customer service, who promptly sent a new front set to me.

New front set arrived today, same exact mats, but now included hooks that I have to screw into the floor on the passenger side. Not the resolution I expected, as I'm not keen on putting holes in the carpet, as the point of Weathertechs is to protect the carpet.

Anyone else have the same issue? Or are there other mats available that provide adequate floor protection? I dont see any on my parts system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik1109 View Post
    With a slew of parts arriving for our Mirage, I finally got the weathertech mats unboxed and in our 18 Mirage

The rear mat - Perfect fit
    Drivers mat - Perfect fit
    Front passenger mat - terrible fit, and has hook holes, but the Mirage doesnt have hooks for the mats.

The sales image shows no hook holes, so I emailed customer service, who promptly sent a new front set to me.

New front set arrived today, same exact mats, but now included hooks that I have to screw into the floor on the passenger side. Not the resolution I expected, as I'm not keen on putting holes in the carpet, as the point of Weathertechs is to protect the carpet.

Anyone else have the same issue? Or are there other mats available that provide adequate floor protection? I dont see any on my parts system.
    I saw this a couple weeks ago. You may want to check these out. The part that may interest you starts @ 2:40 into the youtube.com clip. I only say that, because some people can't stomach Scotty. I would take a look at what he's presenting, however. They may interest you, & they could be a perfect solution to what you already have.

Beside the Eagle Klaws for car mats, he gives a floor mat alternative. Not sure I am crazy about them, however.

Best car products on Amazon -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvW14E3DTEE

Here they are on Amazon -

Eagle Klaw - Floor Mat Clips Set of Anti-Slip Fixing Retainers for Car Mats
    Last edited by Mark; 03-29-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik1109 View Post
    but now included hooks that I have to screw into the floor on the passenger side. Not the resolution I expected, as I'm not keen on putting holes in the carpet

I wouldn't start drilling holes in your Mirage's floor for the sake of better car mats. Not worth what you will ever get from even upgraded car mats.

Why the manufacturer Weathertech does this nowadays is beyond me, maybe someone on the forum can explain

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I wouldn't start drilling holes in your Mirage's floor for the sake of better car mats. Not worth what you will ever get from even upgraded car mats.

Why the manufacturer Weathertech does this nowadays is beyond me, maybe someone on the forum can explain
    Yeah, I think there's a misunderstanding here.

The hooks provided by WeatherTech do not require drilling into one's floor. They instead allow anchoring the WeatherTech mats to the carpeting. WeatherTech provides these hooks because Mitsubishi did not.

My WeatherTech set came with these hooks for the passenger side. It's normal, and my passenger side WeatherTech floor mat fits fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-30-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The hooks provided by WeatherTech do not require drilling into one's floor. They instead allow anchoring the WeatherTech mats to the carpeting. WeatherTech provides these hooks because Mitsubishi did not.
    Nice! I half thought that might be the case, attached from the carpet

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put those little screw in hooks into the carpet on mine. When people get in that push forward on the mat though it pops off the hooks and pisses me off. I might try those eagle hook things and see if that helps. I wish they had Husky Liners for the Mirage. Those things are awesome. Have them in my taxi Corolla and my Tacoma... they don't move AT ALL.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Not all Mirage WeatherTech mats have these holes.

There is a small drain tube for the AC system up under the dash on the passenger side which drains condensation from the evaporator out the bottom of the car. That tube can become dislodged if the WeatherTech mats move around too much. When this happens it can dump condensation from the AC evaporator onto your floor behind the mat, creating a mess. Early WeatherTech mats for the Mirage did not have the holes and anchors to keep the mat from moving around and dislodging this drain tube.

So WeatherTech added them. I am sure the mats you saw in the picture were the earlier version without the anchors. Personally, I am glad I got the set without the holes/anchors.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (03-30-2019),mohammad (07-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally I love my weathertech mats. Not perfect but the best solution I have seen so far, as I live in a heavily salted area..
    I keep a small scarp sponge on my passengers side mat with the snow brush to bail pooled salt/ mud water out as it builds..
    helps prevent moisture buildup and fogging issues..
    plus protects the car from my boy.. kind of messy with his feet.
    Mine have the passenger side holes and I installed the hold downs.
    Mine has stayed in place nicely but I only have about a person in the passenger side about 1 day a week.
    My boy is always in the back. Well till he gets a little bigger.
    Only thing I would have changed would be a taller dead pedal area, but imagine that it would have fell into molding constraints.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got the floor mats from the dealer when I got my car a few months ago and noticed the holes. I thoight about filling the holes with calk. I asked the dealer when I came in for the armrest and they showed me the hooks still in the bag behind the back seat...which is where they still are. There never seemed to be enough passenger foot water to risk splashing in the holes and they fit so well that my many passengers never moved them.