Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the dominant drive wheel of the Mirage the front passenger tire?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Is the dominant drive wheel of the Mirage the front passenger tire?

I believe the dominant drive wheel of the Mirage is the front right tire. Does anyone know this for sure?

That's the one that splashes by far more mud across the pasenger side of my Mirage.

Someone on another thread got on the topic, and it's worth knowing the answer.

Can't be all the tires like our friend on the other thread thinks the differential etc. acts like an AWD system when the Mirage is a FWD car with stability and traction control.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I believe the dominant drive wheel of the Mirage is the front right tire. Does anyone know this for sure?

That's the one that splashes by far more mud across the pasenger side of my Mirage.

Someone on another thread got on the topic, and it's worth knowing the answer.

Can't be all the tires like our friend on the other thread thinks the differential etc. acts like an AWD system when the Mirage is a FWD car with stability and traction control.
    That's not how it works.

Check out this video on how a differential works.

Jam Handy video: Around the Corner

There is no documentation that says the Mirage has anything other than a open differential for the transaxle, either CVT or stick-shift.

With this arrangement, rotational power from the output of the transaxle will be distributed equally to both axle shafts. Like most other forms of energy, this rotational energy will follow the path of least resistance.

Your Mirage likely tends to collect more debris on the right side due to the amount of dirt and mud on that side of your roads.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-31-2019 at 03:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-01-2019),dspace9 (03-31-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's not how it works.

Check out this video on how a differential works.
    I take your point 100%, isn't there a dominant drive wheel with a front engine, front drive car? I get what you mean and the video shows how your typical muscle car differential works

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I take your point 100%, isn't there a dominant drive wheel with a front engine, front drive car?
    Not that I'm aware of.

As has been pointed out in the other thread, there might be a difference in traction due to the weight of a driver on the opposite side of the car, though this insinuates that your right hand wheel is slipping on hard acceleration. I would like to point out that the accumulation of dirt and debris is not necessarily due solely to wheel spin nor due to power applied.

I get what you mean and the video shows how your typical muscle car differential works
    Interesting. So do you think that a transaxle differential is somehow different?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-31-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Interesting. So do you think that a transaxle differential is somehow different?
    It is, I can't spell out the words on it, but I know I'm on to something, it's just it's been 20 years since high school auto mechanics 101 haha.

When I figure out more on what I mean I'll post what I'm getting at.

FWD front engine, transversely mounted engines directly bt the front wheels is economical, good for weight proportion (FWD being better handling for the masses back in the day)... there's a mechanical aspect I just can't explain it. The Ford Tempo model the Mitsu Mirage millions of examples cheap to build
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-31-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is, I can't spell out the words on it, but I know I'm on to something, it's just it's been 20 years since high school auto mechanics 101 haha.

When I figure out more on what I mean I'll post what I'm getting at.
    I would expect the physical pieces to be a little smaller but the basic arrangement would be similar.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would expect the physical pieces to be a little smaller but the basic arrangement would be similar.
    The concept is the same, what I'm getting at is the power goes more to one wheel or all to one wheel, the timing and mechanics all coexists w the driving wheel on the FWD Mirage. I think it's the right one and RWD vehicles with more of the old fashioned real axle and drive train (the hump in the interior of an old American car)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The concept is the same, what I'm getting at is the power goes more to one wheel or all to one wheel, the timing and mechanics all coexists w the driving wheel on the FWD Mirage. I think it's the right one and RWD vehicles with more of the old fashioned real axle and drive train (the hump in the interior of an old American car)
    But why? On a front-wheel drive car, what mechanism do you suppose leads to one wheel providing the driving force over the other?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is no real difference between a rwd differential and a fwd one. Now most front wheel drive cars have unequal length axles, which can cause one wheel be slightly more likely to break traction under power than the other due to the longer axle winding up, but it's not a huge difference, especially at the power levels these things put out.
    Last edited by kzelisko; 03-31-2019 at 05:18 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kzelisko For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    There is no real difference between a rwd differential and a fwd one. Now most front wheel drive cars have unequal length axles, which can cause one wheel be slightly more likely to break traction under power than the other due to the longer axle winding up, but it's not a huge difference, especially at the power levels these things but out.
    Unequal length axles contribute to torque steer.