Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the dominant drive wheel of the Mirage the front passenger tire?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    Just because it's not technically correct doesn't mean that some old grease monkeys didn't speak of there being a dominant drive wheel, handing it down as a certainty from generation to generation.

All this is to say, I took the OP's question as completely straightforward, based on what he/she knew or had heard.
    I heard this from an old school family member at Christmas a few years ago, and I guess if it is the tire that gets the most beating, it is sort of the one where things will go on first. Ways of looking at it, thanks for the sort of perspective on it... add in geography and old roads they got a point

I didn't drive 7 Chryslers in a row in the 1950s like my old Grandpa did either

Ya real world wear and tear on a car isn't "intended purpose" or the lab rat car on a wheel climat-controlled, doing perfection- look at bridges falling from narrow headed engineering

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (04-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Mirage is 100lb heavier on the left. Add a driver, and its 250-300lb heavier on the left.

That's why. The differential means zero in this equation. The fact that the shoulder is where the mud is, that's the real reason.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Also to clarify, wheels get equal power, until one breaks traction. Then it gets more as it's not resisting and sending power to the other side.

Mirage has an open diff, end of discussion. Wheel with less traction will spin first

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Exactly. From what I've always seen(in north america)the rh drive tire seems to wear more than the rest.(more so, if driven by idiots and tires are never rotated) My theory is everyone makes tighter rh turns than left. Unless of course you drive down a lot of one way streets making left turns onto other one way streets.
    I'd be willing to bet 2 peso's that in other parts of the world that drive on the left side their left drive tire would be wearing more, therefore being "the dominant" one. But like everyone already said, the Mirage has an open diff. No posi, locker, limited slip. So....

As for the rh side being dirty, mud goes to the right side of the road because science.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Exactly. From what I've always seen(in north america)the rh drive tire seems to wear more than the rest.(more so, if driven by idiots and tires are never rotated) My theory is everyone makes tighter rh turns than left. Unless of course you drive down a lot of one way streets making left turns onto other one way streets.
    I'd be willing to bet 2 peso's that in other parts of the world that drive on the left side their left drive tire would be wearing more, therefore being "the dominant" one. But like everyone already said, the Mirage has an open diff. No posi, locker, limited slip. So....

As for the rh side being dirty, mud goes to the right side of the road because science.
    Now I wanna put a Lockrite in a Mirage just because.

The tire of wear varies by driving habit. The Front Left should usually wear faster due to holding all the weight while cornering on the sharper right handers, being the heavier side of the car with 1 occupant, doing the majority of the braking into said tight corners. However as you get slightly more aggressive, the front right tire takes over due to slipping slightly while making all those city street sharp right handers.

Studies have been done on solely highway cars and the tire wear is a direct correlation to which way the majority of the on and offramps sweep. More right turns, left wears faster, more left turns, right wears faster.

There's a myriad of science and logic behind it, and I want to state again, "Primary Drive Wheel" not only doesnt factor in, it's not even a thing, because Science.

good point. I won't argue the primary drive wheel myth.
    But I see rh wear cause people are stupid and spin the **** out of them. In a scenario where I'm wearing my white lab coat on I'd agree that the left should wear more. In theory.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    good point. I won't argue the primary drive wheel myth.
    But I see rh wear cause people are stupid and spin the **** out of them. In a scenario where I'm wearing my white lab coat on I'd agree that the left should wear more. In theory.
    Yup, as stated, down to aggression, or.. momentum? Depends what you ask the car to do when.

Trust me, when I had my open diff crown vic that back right was bald and the left looked new. Swapped em too late, then right handers got... real fun with the bald tire taking all the duty of keeping me in a straight line.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Wheel with less traction will spin first
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Also to clarify, wheels get equal power, until one breaks traction. Then it gets more as it's not resisting and sending power to the other side.
    This I'm not so sure about. I'm not convinced it gets more power than the non-slipping wheel. I'm pretty sure the wheel that slips is getting the same amount of power as the non-slipping wheel.

It's not like either one is doing a whole lot of work. Isn't that how power is defined?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is true.

This I'm not so sure about. I'm not convinced it gets more power than the non-slipping wheel. I'm pretty sure the wheel that slips is getting the same amount of power as the non-slipping wheel.

It's not like either one is doing a whole lot of work. Isn't that how power is defined?
    Depends on how you define power. Energy takes the path of least resistance. One needs only lift a tire apply throttle to see that the car will not move (ignoring traction control of course).
    In an uninhibited open diff, power spins the free wheel. Add in rotational resistance of accelerating the free tire, and you can get a bit of oomph to the down tire, sure, but only the equivalent of what it takes to spin the airborne tire.

If it takes .25hp to spin the free wheel, you will not see more than .25hp applied to the traction tire, with the rest of your power going towards simply revving the engine. Apply resistance to the free tire, and you gain power equal to the resistance in the traction tire.
    Last edited by nickels; 04-02-2019 at 08:17 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the wheel that slips is getting the same amount of power as the non-slipping wheel.
    Jack up the front of your car, fire it up, put it in gear. Stop or slow down one of the wheels, the other one will speed up. Unless you have a spool or a lincoln locker. I guess it's not science but magic