Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is the dominant drive wheel of the Mirage the front passenger tire?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    But what about in reverse?
    I'd smack you if you didnt live so far away. As I suspect you are as well, it's time to retire from this thread.

You all can have your dominate drive wheels and torque vectoring diffs or however we are assuming the front end of a mirage works. I'm done debating 150 some odd year old technology.

Captain Fantastic, thank you for the laugh though. We all know in reverse that the rear wheels begin to receive power through the bluetooth rear differential, provided you splurged for the tech package. That is not currently up for debate here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    These threads where we try to understand a simple concept are my favorites.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    If both wheels are turning at 10kmh, and input speed is maintained, stopping one wheel will cause the other to rotate at 20kmh, in an open diff.
    I'm with you here. I tried making this point with that YouTube video.

Power is not part of this equation, only the differentials spider gears.
    Then there must be some misunderstanding because you brought up 'power' on your second post.

Also to clarify, wheels get equal power, until one breaks traction. Then it gets more as it's not resisting and sending power to the other side.
    I still think foama has a point. Even when one wheel slips, the differential sends power to both wheels equally.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm with you here. I tried making this point with that YouTube video.

Then there must be some misunderstanding because you brought up 'power' on your second post.

I still think foama has a point. Even when one wheel slips, the differential sends power to both wheels equally.
    And I'll accept that, but I maintain we were talking general operation, not specific semantics.

If one wheel is stuck and the other one spins up, I call that getting all the power, and I don't feel the specific measurable exact power applied to each CV was what anybody would have thought I meant. The "power " "goes" to the free wheel, because "it's the one that moves", not the much longer winded "the free wheel takes a minute amount of power to spin while the equal power is not enough on the traction wheel to have a notable effect since it takes X times the power to overcome the traction versus a free wheel".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    This thread is sooo entertaining!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Tried to just send that to you, but it wouldn't go through; something about your mailbox being full...
    Mailbox has been cleaned out and is back in business. Thanks for the heads up.