Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage 2014, grinding noise/burning smell/ clutch linkage broken? ... SOLVED!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage 2014, grinding noise/burning smell/ clutch linkage broken? ... SOLVED!

Hows it going! need some help here, i have several small problems that have mainly started since a 4 hour road trip through some dirt roads.

manual 3cyl 5 speed.

I recently changed my own brakes about a month ago and everything was going swell.

UNTIL as of recent, when i sharply turn to the left (or even sometimes when driving uphill) i can feel in the clutch area (and hear) a type of rubbing or grinding noise. it is really kind of odd. i have eliminated the tire rubbing the sidewall, and any brake problems that i may have caused. I do not believe that there is a rock stuck.

Though just within the past few days, on the driver side of the engine bay, i can vividly smell a type of burning rubber. Though nothing is smoking or leaking. I haven't any idea where exactly this smell is coming from, and would love some ideas or help as i am going to put the car up on jack stands.

Today while looking for the causation of the burning smell, i saw something i found a bit odd. I think that the noise/smell may have something to do with the clutch linkage rod. I posted some pictures here, it is right below the battery, and behind a coolant line. can someone please help me figure out what exactly this piece of the car is called?

Attached Images Attached Images    

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenKlumper View Post
    can someone please help me figure out what exactly this piece of the car is called?
    Not quite sure, I wish I had one of those Haynes mechanical guide books, so I could at least help you with identifying parts. I don't think those books for this car are even out yet, for the general public. Best of luck!

I have the identical Mirage year and 5 speed manual, and had some flywheel/starter issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hows it going! need some help here, i have several small problems that have mainly started since a 4 hour road trip through some dirt roads.

manual 3cyl 5 speed.

I recently changed my own brakes about a month ago and everything was going swell.

UNTIL as of recent, when i sharply turn to the left (or even sometimes when driving uphill) i can feel in the clutch area (and hear) a type of rubbing or grinding noise. it is really kind of odd. i have eliminated the tire rubbing the sidewall, and any brake problems that i may have caused. I do not believe that there is a rock stuck.

Though just within the past few days, on the driver side of the engine bay, i can vividly smell a type of burning rubber. Though nothing is smoking or leaking. I haven't any idea where exactly this smell is coming from, and would love some ideas or help as i am going to put the car up on jack stands.

Today while looking for the causation of the burning smell, i saw something i found a bit odd. I think that the noise/smell may have something to do with the clutch linkage rod. I posted some pictures here, it is right below the battery, and behind a coolant line. can someone please help me figure out what exactly this piece of the car is called?
    im using a Manual and upon checking on your first picture the one you encircle is normal.
    Its the same as mine but i dont encounter the problem you're having.

The only solution i could think of if you haven't done anything wrong after installing the brakes.
    Try to redo it again. Im sure something is not fitted well.

About the burnin smell cant think of anything that can cause it. Any electrical device installed lately?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

manual 3cyl 5 speed.

Well, lets work the problem:

1. May be related to brake job, may not. Pull the wheels and double check your work, LOOKING for a mistake. No shame in it, we've all done it. I've seen brake pads installed backwards/upside down that worked...for a while, lol.

2. How many miles on your Mirage? And more specifically clutch? Maybe you smell burning/slipping clutch pad and not brakes? Going uphill with more load on clutch slipping? Search the site, I remember someone else had an issue with broken linkage or throw out bearing on clutch. This might be the rattle you hear.

Good luck and let us know!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First check breaks,, and brake hoses .. if a caliper gets twisted it can cause a brake hose to rub where it shouldn't..
    Picture ones circle shows shifter linkage..
    Picture 3. Coming out from under the intake track is a boomerang shaped piece..attached to that piece is your clutch cable..
    try wiggling that piece or your clutch peddle???
    Any play? There should be free play there..
    as your clutch wears manual adjustment of free play is required.
    search clutch adjustment and you should find pictures and descriptions of how it should be..
    Keep us posted and let us know what you find.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The part you have circled is one of the shift cables and shift linkages on the transmission. You will notice that there are two. One works when you move the shifter left/right, the other works when you move the shifter fore/aft.

I can't imagine this is the cause of your problem.

I once had a similar situation with a 1990 Toyota Corolla. Car ran/drove fine, but had a weird burning smell that I had a hard time identifying. Turned out I had run over a plastic grocery bag, and this bag had wrapped itself around my exhaust pipe just in front of the catalytic converter!

The smell was this bag burning and melting on my exhaust! Hey, you never know...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

manual 3cyl 5 speed.
    Forgive me as it's not clear to me what problem you are trying to focus on.

Personally, I wouldn't expect the gear shift linkage to cause a burning odor. Not at all.

One cause for this might be a slipping clutch. If this is the case, you would notice the engine speed increasing under acceleration without a corresponding increase in vehicle (wheel) speed.

Another thought might be a failing wheel bearing.

Yet another might be a brake caliper that is not properly floating.

Consider posting a video so the Mirage Forum Brain Trust gets a better understanding of your symptoms. Let us know if you have any questions on how to do that.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-31-2019 at 03:24 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Check your gear oil

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Well, lets work the problem:

1. May be related to brake job, may not. Pull the wheels and double check your work, LOOKING for a mistake. No shame in it, we've all done it. I've seen brake pads installed backwards/upside down that worked...for a while, lol.

2. How many miles on your Mirage? And more specifically clutch? Maybe you smell burning/slipping clutch pad and not brakes? Going uphill with more load on clutch slipping? Search the site, I remember someone else had an issue with broken linkage or throw out bearing on clutch. This might be the rattle you hear.

Good luck and let us know!
    I have taken off the wheel/caliper pins once and am pretty confident that nothing is on backwards. maybe the brake dust catcher is touching the rotor on the backside? that is my next best guess.

The noise did not start untill weeks after the brake job. Ever since i have gotten home from a roadtrip with dirt roads (not sure if thats relevant.) . is when the noise started.

2. i have 35K miles on it, same as the clutch. Theres not an issue with the clutch slipping or an ability to shift. just a very alarming noise coming from the left side of car . (near the wheel im guessing, while turning sharply left, or occasionally traveling straight uphill). The burning smell just randomly started happening! its pretty bad yet there is no smoke or leakage of anything so i am lost!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The noise did not start untill weeks after the brake job. Ever since i have gotten home from a roadtrip with dirt roads (not sure if thats relevant.) . is when the noise started.
    Sounds like you are drawing a correlation with dirt roads and the start of your symptoms. Check that your brake pads are clear of stones and other such debris.

That's what Captain Fantastic would do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)