Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad front window glaring at night

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    So Fummins if I did had to shoot my windshield out, where would the stress points of the glass be located?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Name:  1548986515982m.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  51.5 KB
    Found Fummin's old Cali license. You magnificent *******.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hi guys. Anyone else have bad glaring issues from other car lights at night time? Ive kept my windshield pretty clean with windex but the glare is blindly as hell on rainy nights. Any products to treat the glass recommended?
    Some people swear by Rain-x windshield wiper fluid. I have only bought 1 jug once, I have to say it does a different job, but some would like it I did not so much. Worth a shot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used the original Rain-X window treatment on a car years ago. It made a big difference and lasted for several months. In the first months after I put it on I almost didn't need to use the wipers at all in very light rains. The water just beaded up and blew off.

Unfortunately, I have no recollection whatsoever about whether it had any affect on glare.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I treated the windshield on one of my cars with Rain-X when it first came out. I found it worked as advertised.

After some time, little pits in the film made visibility much worse. I haven't used it since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe that would have been the time to remove all of the old Rain-X residue and reapply? Mine just gradually wore away until there was very little affect from it, at least where the wipers ran. I was just too lazy to put another application on.

I have tried the Rain-X washer fluid on a pick-up truck windshield. It had some of the original effect, but I don't think it leaves much lasting coating. Again, I don't remember an affect on glare, other than the glare one gets from too much rain sitting on the windshield, which was reduced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    Maybe that would have been the time to remove all of the old Rain-X residue and reapply?
    I did that a couple of times but in the end I decided to never use the product if it had that eventual result. I concluded it's not worth the bother. Putting it in the washer fluid sounds even worse to me, afraid that it might clog something. No thank you.

I'm curious to know about removal though. How is Rain-X removed? I don't recall it wearing away from the wiper's path.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bet the Rain-X bottle warned not to clean the windshield with one or another kind of glass or car cleaner, or risk damaging the Rain-X treatment. THAT is the Rain-X remover!

I used the Rain-X washer fluid in a hand-held spray bottle, because that vehicle's original squirters didn't work for some reason I hadn't discovered. It wasn't more viscous than any other washer fluid, and might have been lighter and splipperier. I didn't notice anything about it that would be clog-making. It might be very different from the original material.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Putting it in the washer fluid sounds even worse to me, afraid that it might clog something. No thank you.
    Hey there Eggman. No reason to think Rain-X washer fluid will clog your windshield washer lines, a jug of it is the same consistency as normal washer fluid (like water not syrup).

IMO I actually think Rain-X washer leaves a bit of a glare on your windshield, and then poof 1 second later the glare disappears, and your windshield is like 20% better off than with any regular generic windshield washer fluid.

So great for glare you get the odd time from dirty windshield, hit and miss effective in a weather driving situation where you're using your wipers constantly. You have to try it, I like it and I don't
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-06-2019 at 04:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hey there Eggman. No reason to think Rain-X washer fluid will clog your windshield washer lines, a jug of it is the same consistency as normal washer fluid (like water not syrup).

IMO I actually think Rain-X washer leaves a bit of a glare on your windshield, and then poof 1 second later the glare disappears, and your windshield is like 20% better off than with any regular generic windshield washer fluid.

So great for glare you get the odd time from dirty windshield, hit and miss effective in a weather driving situation where you're using your wipers constantly. You have to try it, I like it and I don't
    Rainx fluid 100% leaves a haze. It's horrible. The buffing glass treatment does well though.

Late to the oarty, but, stop using windex. Windex leaves a horrible haze. Use soapy water and a legit squeegee, or use a real glass cleaning product. Never use windex.

Ever.

Ever ever ever.

I have a 6" squeegee and do mine properly, but the stone products work well. Apply, buff, clean cloth buff again. Note that your laundry detergent may give poor results here as well on the final step though. Lightly spritz the final buff rag with more cleaner instead of polishing dry.

*Professional glass cleaner for 4 years*

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)