Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does hard plastic offend car reviewers so badly?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Why does hard plastic offend car reviewers so badly?

In reading many reviews of the Mirage (and other small cars I tend to like), its very common to see reviewers really complain about 'hard plastic' interor panels. I'm curious why this seems to be such an offensive car attribute. Not once have I ever got into a car and said "OMG, its hard plastic! I'm not going to buy this thing." Yet, that is what seems to come across in these reviews. Do they like to hit their head on interior panels so often that they need to soften the blow? I certainly do not! Maybe this is just my rant on (one of the many) things that annoy me about 'professional' car reviewers. It just seems wildly blown out of proportion.

Last edited by Daox; 01-22-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

asher (03-02-2013),fc321 (02-24-2016)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I don't understand it either. I had older cars that had full metal dashboard and doors no one complained about then back in there days.And they would be much harder then (hard plastic). I have read reviews of small cars over the years and as seems to be the standed they all mostly get a big bashing.They seem to want to compare them to cars much more expensive rather then tell of the good things like fuel economy etc.

Now when i read reviews of new small cars and they say its noisey, hash,looks bad,does not handle well etc. I just wish that they would sometimes compare to say an older small car that some may be driving now that is say 10-20 years old. as there will be peaple that have a much older small car and want to buy a new one. And these new ones are often much better in every way then what they would be driving now ( wornout tired old small car).

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Those car reviewers should try seeing some of the older cars and some of those that are still being sold in developing countries, such as my Toyota Revo. When you're used to exposed sheet metal, vinyl and brittle plastic, hard plastic will be a step up!

Good application of hard plastic (and car interior design in general) can be the difference between making the interior tasteful vs. making the car feel like a toy. It's something that may affect your choice between like models, but as you say I've (almost) never heard of anyone walk away from a purchase because they sat inside and thought "oh dear, hard plastic!!!"

Also, those car reviewers are guaranteed never to be seeing the car in a condition where it's been worn and aged. Give them 5 year old cars with dirty interior fabrics and leather that's been cracking apart, and watch them rave about plastics that instantly look new upon being wiped clean!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

I don't get the fuss either.

How many soft-touch surfaces do we have in our homes, aside from carpeting -- which cars have -- or things you sit/sleep on? We're perfectly fine with spending most of our time in/on: plaster or drywall, granite and marble, hard vinyl, tile or hardwood.

But hard door cards in a car! OMG!

Or maybe the offended car reviewers live in homes with padded walls! :O

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Now I can't read a Mirage review without chuckling when I get to the "hard plastic" part. It's like Where's Waldo!

"Hard plastics highlight its market positioning...."
    http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/...charm/1731406/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

STOP THE PRESSES!! An Australian reviewer complimented the car's plastics!

Affordable it is, but buyers may well be surprised by the interior quality and design. Beige and black softer plastics create a light, airy interior...
    It's a generally positive review overall:

Source: http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...mirage_review1

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

asher (03-02-2013)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Metro did you read this post http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...view-(from-Oz) with the link to an Oz review that takes a positive view of the palstics?

Oh, right - forgot about that one:

It's all hard plastic inside but that means it's wipe clean and almost bulletproof in wear terms. Whack the door trim with your suitcase and it doesn't matter a bit.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Acoustics?

I just read the other post regarding how to add soundproofing, and one of the recommendations was soft surfaces (they suggested, for example, that cloth seats were quieter than leather). Could it be that the "hard plastic" issue is one of the car sounding more echo-y?

I was thinking of this the other day and feeling around my car - I had never noticed the "soft" plastic on the dash and doors. I cannot believe I had this great benefit all along, but never appreciated it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    they have to bash everything they can so as to justify the price of the car they drive which gets 22mpgs. Its snobbery.