Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oil change thread

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm using the AC Delco PF2057 filters & CTC Formula 1 synthetic 0W-20 oil. I bought a case of these filters as they have an ADBV in them & steel end plates on the filter. They also fit the Better Half's Subaru, so I don't need different filters for both our cars. This is what the OEM filter looked like from my 1st oil change. (No ADBV or caps on the filter midia )Name:  IMG_4269 (1).jpg
Views: 905
Size:  85.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

My oil change strategy

I change oil at Spring and Fall to meet the six-month oil change criteria. Since I don't put a lot of miles on Speck, I haven't reached the 7,500 mile limit yet. If I ever did, I wouldn't worry if my oil would hold up for that long.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and filters and get it on sale with rebates. The cheapest place I've found is usually Walmart. I choose Mobil 1 products because they have a good, long standing reputation and they publish the filtration specifications for their filters. Most filter companies don't. I've found filtration specs for Mobil 1 and Wix, but no others. Also, with the rebate Mobil 1 products are priced about the same or less as their competition.

I have gotten to buying supplies when I need them rather than stockpiling supplies. Filters have a long shelf life, but I'm not so sure the motor oil holds up to long term cold storage without some form of degradation. Plus, there's no rebate for stockpiling. If Mobil ever stops offering their Spring and Fall rebates, I'll likely switch to some other less expensive brand.

I do a oil and filter change in the Spring and a oil change in the Fall. Last spring I submitted my oil drain to Blackstone for analysis and the results looked positive, so I plan to continue that method. With this oil change strategy, I can purchase one 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1, use enough for a complete oil and filter change in the spring, and have enough left over for a oil change in the fall and keep the filter in place.

One bottle of oil and one filter for the year. I try to conserve resources whenever feasible. It's tempting to keep the filter for a two year cycle because I don't think I'll use up the published mileage specs on the Mobil 1 filter, but I'm not sure I'll do that. No point in risking engine damage to save on a filter, especially since I'm already extending the filter's use.

Here's my write-up on last spring's oil change: Sunny & 60s - nice weather for an oil change.

And here's the results from my Blackstone Labs analysis: Blackstone Labs Used Oil Analysis Results

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Filters have a long shelf life, but I'm not so sure the motor oil holds up to long term cold storage without some form of degradation.
    About a year ago, Blackstone did testing on old oil they bought off ebay. We're talking stuff from the 60s and 70s. They did their analysis and found that it was fine and could be used today.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    About a year ago, Blackstone did testing on old oil they bought off ebay. We're talking stuff from the 60s and 70s. They did their analysis and found that it was fine and could be used today.
    That's interesting. I read somewhere on the BITOG forums that oil doesn't store well when subjected to freezing temperatures. I recall some discussion about viscosity and waxy substances forming. I can't argue against lab tests but it makes me wonder how the sample was stored.

I suppose if I kept the oil indoors it would be fine, but I don't want to do that. I'd rather buy some fresh stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I found the newsletter they put out. Its here:

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f64139...r_2012_ENG.pdf

Turns out he got 28 canisters from the 1930s through 1960s at least.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I change oil at Spring and Fall to meet the six-month oil change criteria. Since I don't put a lot of miles on Speck, I haven't reached the 7,500 mile limit yet. If I ever did, I wouldn't worry if my oil would hold up for that long.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and filters and get it on sale with rebates. The cheapest place I've found is usually Walmart. I choose Mobil 1 products because they have a good, long standing reputation and they publish the filtration specifications for their filters. Most filter companies don't. I've found filtration specs for Mobil 1 and Wix, but no others. Also, with the rebate Mobil 1 products are priced about the same or less as their competition.

I have gotten to buying supplies when I need them rather than stockpiling supplies. Filters have a long shelf life, but I'm not so sure the motor oil holds up to long term cold storage without some form of degradation. Plus, there's no rebate for stockpiling. If Mobil ever stops offering their Spring and Fall rebates, I'll likely switch to some other less expensive brand.

I do a oil and filter change in the Spring and a oil change in the Fall. Last spring I submitted my oil drain to Blackstone for analysis and the results looked positive, so I plan to continue that method. With this oil change strategy, I can purchase one 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1, use enough for a complete oil and filter change in the spring, and have enough left over for a oil change in the fall and keep the filter in place.

One bottle of oil and one filter for the year. I try to conserve resources whenever feasible. It's tempting to keep the filter for a two year cycle because I don't think I'll use up the published mileage specs on the Mobil 1 filter, but I'm not sure I'll do that. No point in risking engine damage to save on a filter, especially since I'm already extending the filter's use.

Here's my write-up on last spring's oil change: Sunny & 60s - nice weather for an oil change.

And here's the results from my Blackstone Labs analysis: Blackstone Labs Used Oil Analysis Results
    How do you get two oil changes out of a five qt jug of oil? Not possible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    How do you get two oil changes out of a five qt jug of oil? Not possible.
    I thought the same thing until I tried it. The difference is I don't change the filter. Turns out the quantity of oil is just right.

I've done it two years now. I will submit another sample for analysis when I do my Spring oil change in a couple weeks.

Yet another way to conserve and minimize the use of resources. This little car checks a lot of boxes for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought the same thing until I tried it. The difference is I don't change the filter. Turns out the quantity of oil is just right.

I've done it two years now. I will submit another sample for analysis when I do my Spring oil change in a couple weeks.

Yet another way to conserve and minimize the use of resources. This little car checks a lot of boxes for me.
    Likewise. I change the filter every other too. I love this little beast lol.
    (blank signature)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’ve had my oil changed before.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Likewise. I change the filter every other too. I love this little beast lol.
    I also change my filter every other oil change as I change my oil every 5k miles but the tiny filter doesn't hold half a quart filled like a cup let one horizontally like its mounted.

You guys must have the oil level down near the bottom hole in the dipstick? I fill mine up near but not at the top hole.
    So one change would be slightly less if you're not changing your filter but the second change would be a full 3-3.1qts. I always buy 3-5qt jugs as I can do my truck(8qts) and both mirages with the three jugs and have enough left over to fry wings. Jk about that last part!