Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: 2019 Oil change thread

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    ottawa valley
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 62 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    and have enough left over to fry wings. Jk about that last part!
    MMMmmm 0W-20 Wings,,, I'm In if you bring BEER!!!!...


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

    Pryme (04-10-2019)

  3. #22
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,467
    Thanks
    3,255
    Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    MMMmmm 0W-20 Wings,,, I'm In if you bring BEER!!!!...
    5W-20 makes less noise on startup though.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    Pryme (04-10-2019)

  5. #23
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,467
    Thanks
    3,255
    Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I also change my filter every other oil change as I change my oil every 5k miles but the tiny filter doesn't hold half a quart filled like a cup let one horizontally like its mounted.

    You guys must have the oil level down near the bottom hole in the dipstick? I fill mine up near but not at the top hole.
    So one change would be slightly less if you're not changing your filter but the second change would be a full 3-3.1qts. I always buy 3-5qt jugs as I can do my truck(8qts) and both mirages with the three jugs and have enough left over to fry wings. Jk about that last part!
    I agree with you Pryme, the math doesn't add up. I kept some other stockpiled Mobil 1 left over from some other oil changes (old oil!) just in case but didn't need it.

    I better go check my oil level. I don't check it much at all. I seem to recall I was aiming for the middle between the high and low marks. That's one of the problems of driving a reliable car - I tend to put off simple checks. Talk about bad habits.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    Pryme (04-10-2019)

  7. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 560 Times in 444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I also change my filter every other oil change as I change my oil every 5k miles but the tiny filter doesn't hold half a quart filled like a cup let one horizontally like its mounted.
    I honestly could never make myself do that. It would be like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on. The Mirage maintenance manual states changing your oil & oil filter every 3,750 miles or 7,500 miles depending on your driving conditions. I don't care what an oil filter box claims. Mitsubishi doesn't state that using a better quality oil and oil filter can extend these oil/filter change intervals, nor does Mobil 1 suggest you ignore your the manufacturer's suggested oil/filter change intervals.

    If good maintenance practices are important to you, using quality products is a part of the equation. I don't think any maintenance is more important than oil changes.

    If my goal is to clean something, the filter is the last thing I would ignore. As another source states - "If you leave that old filter on, as soon as you start the engine and get it to operating temperature, that nice clean motor oil is soon going to be just as dirty as the oil you just drained out." On a positive note - an oil filter has a bypass valve. If you leave a clogged one in, oil will still circulate. Sort defeats the purpose of having an oil filter, however.

    I usually change my own oil in most everything I own. If someone changed my oil in my car without replacing the oil filter, I would be ticked! I wouldn't care what they say about the quality of the filter. Changing one (oil & filter) without the other would seem like a waste of time to me.

  8. #25
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,467
    Thanks
    3,255
    Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,286 Posts
    I agree Mark, and I was skeptical. However, the used oil analysis says it's all good so I'm not worried. Not only do I get some fresh clean oil in circulation, the additive pack is refreshed too. From that perspective I suppose it's worth using the same engine oil.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)


  9. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,029
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 299 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I honestly could never make myself do that. It would be like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on. The Mirage maintenance manual states changing your oil & oil filter every 3,750 miles or 7,500 miles depending on your driving conditions. I don't care what an oil filter box claims. Mitsubishi doesn't state that using a better quality oil and oil filter can extend these oil/filter change intervals, nor does Mobil 1 suggest you ignore your the manufacturer's suggested oil/filter change intervals.

    If good maintenance practices are important to you, using quality products is a part of the equation. I don't think any maintenance is more important than oil changes.

    If my goal is to clean something, the filter is the last thing I would ignore. As another source states - "If you leave that old filter on, as soon as you start the engine and get it to operating temperature, that nice clean motor oil is soon going to be just as dirty as the oil you just drained out." On a positive note - an oil filter has a bypass valve. If you leave a clogged one in, oil will still circulate. Sort defeats the purpose of having an oil filter, however.

    I usually change my own oil in most everything I own. If someone changed my oil in my car without replacing the oil filter, I would be ticked! I wouldn't care what they say about the quality of the filter. Changing one (oil & filter) without the other would seem like a waste of time to me.
    10k mile oci on a good synthetic is nothing. And I only go 5k but the filter stays in for 10k. The fram ultra has synthetic media rated for 20k mile service life.

  10. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 560 Times in 444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    10k mile oci on a good synthetic is nothing. And I only go 5k but the filter stays in for 10k. The fram ultra has synthetic media rated for 20k mile service life.
    From some of the things I have researched on oil filters (including guys cutting them up and displaying their insides), I believe the FRAM ultra synthetic oil filter is one of the better oil filters on the market. I wouldn't hesitate using one in the least. I don't put a lot of value in any company's claim on all this, however.

    "Provides up to 20,000 miles/32,000 km of protection when used with an appropriate synthetic oil. Follow recommended change intervals as outlined in your owner's manual." Quote (fine print) taken directly from Fram's website on the Ultra Synthetic oil filter

    I would feel better using a 20,000 mile synthetic oil filter over a 10,000 mile rated one for sure. Having said that, I would never change oil in a car without changing the dirty oil filter and the used oil left in it.

    Is changing your oil @ 5,000 miles and the oil filter @ 10,000 miles better than changing your oil filter @ 5,000 miles and oil at 10,000 miles? I've read arguments for both. In both cases, it still seems like a job that was half done.

    Neither Mitsubishi or Fram is claiming an oil filter is good for 10,000 miles on Mitsubishi Mirage. Fram's disclaimer takes them off the hook. If I wanted to make a claim on any lifetime/unlimited mileage powertrain warranty issue, I don't think I would have any written proof that 10,000 mile on any oil filter is acceptable. That may not be a concern for most, & I totally get that.

  11. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,029
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 299 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    From some of the things I have researched on oil filters (including guys cutting them up and displaying their insides), I believe the FRAM ultra synthetic oil filter is one of the better oil filters on the market. I wouldn't hesitate using one in the least. I don't put a lot of value in any company's claim on all this, however.

    "Provides up to 20,000 miles/32,000 km of protection when used with an appropriate synthetic oil. Follow recommended change intervals as outlined in your owner's manual." Quote (fine print) taken directly from Fram's website on the Ultra Synthetic oil filter

    I would feel better using a 20,000 mile synthetic oil filter over a 10,000 mile rated one for sure. Having said that, I would never change oil in a car without changing the dirty oil filter and the used oil left in it.

    Is changing your oil @ 5,000 miles and the oil filter @ 10,000 miles better than changing your oil filter @ 5,000 miles and oil at 10,000 miles? I've read arguments for both. In both cases, it still seems like a job that was half done.

    Neither Mitsubishi or Fram is claiming an oil filter is good for 10,000 miles on Mitsubishi Mirage. Fram's disclaimer takes them off the hook. If I wanted to make a claim on any lifetime/unlimited mileage powertrain warranty issue, I don't think I would have any written proof that 10,000 mile on any oil filter is acceptable. That may not be a concern for most, & I totally get that.
    All those caveats about follow owners manual are due to bean counters and lawyers etc. Changing synthetic at what ever number you listed, 3,700mi is crazy.

    Like I said, Tons of ppl go 10k miles on oil and filter so going only 5k on oil is probably a but overkill from what I've read on bitog and other sites.

    It's like a blood transfusion lol.

    I used to change the filter everytime but realized it's just overkill. To each their own.

    I also drive very conservatively, the tach rarely gets above 3,500rpm

  12. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
    I'll be doing my first oil change soon at 3,750 miles and then in between every recommended 7,500 mile oil change. I will be using the Mitsubishi synthetic 0W20 oil and a Mitsubishi filter. I will take it to the dealer every 7,500 miles for the recommended oil changes. This way there will be an official dealer record of the oil change. I will be documenting my own oil changes as well, by recording receipts, photo's, and I will have a daily newspaper in one of the photo's (just in case). I know it's overkill, but I have a friend that was really nuts and changed the oil on his Ford Escort every 2,000 miles. His engine had over 350,000 miles before his transmission died. I'm hoping to get as many miles out of my car as I possibly can.

  13. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,029
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 299 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    I'll be doing my first oil change soon at 3,750 miles and then in between every recommended 7,500 mile oil change. I will be using the Mitsubishi synthetic 0W20 oil and a Mitsubishi filter. I will take it to the dealer every 7,500 miles for the recommended oil changes. This way there will be an official dealer record of the oil change. I will be documenting my own oil changes as well, by recording receipts, photo's, and I will have a daily newspaper in one of the photo's (just in case). I know it's overkill, but I have a friend that was really nuts and changed the oil on his Ford Escort every 2,000 miles. His engine had over 350,000 miles before his transmission died. I'm hoping to get as many miles out of my car as I possibly can.
    Changing synthetic oil every 3,700 miles is almost as much of a waste of money as going to the dealer for an oil change



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •