Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oil change thread

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I read an earlier post that said you're coming up on 7,500 miles. It was late, I likely glossed over something.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I read an earlier post that said you're coming up on 7,500 miles. It was late, I likely glossed over something.
    Gotcha. Yeah, I don't put many miles on my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @Eggman, I tried to send you a private message and it says your box is full and that you need to delete some messages before you can receive any new ones.

I wanted to chime in that I had misread the owners manual and have been doing 12 month oil changes. I never exceeded 4000 miles of driving in a single year.

Earlier in the thread people where talking about 6 month oil changes. I also installed a Fumoto valve, hope the dealer doesnt give me any trouble. Also I dont have alot of good proof that I have been doing my oil changes "on proper schedule" and this is because I buy stuff in bulk such as 6 oil filters at once or 3 of the [5 gallon oil jugs (when I find a good sale).]

So hopefully I wont have any trouble with the Dealer down the road.

Update: I saw a post on the YouTube comment section by a guy that claimed that he actually is an employee at the Dealership (not Mitsubishi dealership) in the warranty department and he claims that they only accept actual invoice from a mechanic shop as proof of the oil changes. So he is saying that if you just show receipts from O'reillys/AutoZone or wherever you buy your oil/filters that this is not "sufficient proof" to prove that oil change was done.

Now bear in mind that it is just some bloke from YouTube comment section so who knows if he is telling the truth. But let me tell you this:

If that is how the Dealerships want to operate then they are shooting themselves in the foot because they are basically taking all incentive away to buy a new car from Dealer. If they expect us to bring our cars to a mechanic (whether Dealership or independent mechanic) just to have rudimentary maintenance like oil changes and coolant flushes performed then they can go to Hell.

Cars are expensive enough as it is and I certainly am not going to pay "a kings ransom" to have the car serviced at Dealer or to bring it to an indy mechanic just for "easy to do" maintenance items.
    Last edited by fc321; 10-09-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added info
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's just about time for my 2019 winter oil change and I hate oil on my clean garage floor; I may be crazy, but I like an oil-free floor. That black plate under the engine just below the block-mounted spout, the oil drains off the spout mounted on the side of the engine block, then down the black plate, flows to the back of the plate and then all over the floor. Has anyone found out if you can simply remove that plate and put a form-a-funnel up at the block mounted spout ? I couldn't find the plate in the FSM, no torque values for the bolts etc.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    It's just about time for my 2019 winter oil change and I hate oil on my clean garage floor; I may be crazy, but I like an oil-free floor. That black plate under the engine just below the block-mounted spout, the oil drains off the spout mounted on the side of the engine block, then down the black plate, flows to the back of the plate and then all over the floor. Has anyone found out if you can simply remove that plate and put a form-a-funnel up at the block mounted spout ? I couldn't find the plate in the FSM, no torque values for the bolts etc.
    I avoid oil on my garage floor by doing it outside. I've been changing oil for 40 years, & I don't remember ever doing it in the garage. I don't even care about my garage floor, and & I still back the car out of the garage to change oil. Couldn't even tell you why? Better light maybe?

I changed both my engine & manual transmission oil about 2-weeks ago. I did manage to get a little oil on the driveway. Hope someone has the answers you are looking for. I expect some things to be a bit messy sometimes I guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Update: I saw a post on the YouTube comment section by a guy that claimed that he actually is an employee at the Dealership (not Mitsubishi dealership) in the warranty department and he claims that they only accept actual invoice from a mechanic shop as proof of the oil changes. So he is saying that if you just show receipts from O'reillys/AutoZone or wherever you buy your oil/filters that this is not "sufficient proof" to prove that oil change was done.

This is a load of garbage. Under US law they must let you do your own work or bring it to any mechanic to work on. They can deny you for doing the work *wrong* but not for doing it yourself(helps if you have proof you did it right). Notice how the warranty manual never specifically states you can't use aftermarket parts or work on it yourself. They use weird wording to discourage it because they want the $$$

Proof https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

If my dealer tries to push that and I need work I will sue them. I plan on doing it all myself.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 11-09-2019 at 01:38 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I lost a great composition about my OC rationale.

TL;dr

If Mobil 1 et al. say their oil is good for 15,000 miles then it is. Same for their filters. They claim a year, I believe them.

I was going to change my oil annually until I realized it's not a time basis for me changing oil, it's a distance basis. In a way I like that. I'll change oil/filter in the spring and fall. When the winter tires go on it's oil change time. When I go to detail my car after winter it's oil changing time. Nothing but Mobil 1 0W20 full synthetic @ $27.5/4.73l at Walmart. I have a stockpile of 80 l. at the moment. I don't fear degradation due to age at all. I'll use Napa Silver, Fram Tough Guard, Purolator Blue or any other "silver" class of oil filter. I'll keep some "Gold" class filters on hand if it turns out I can do annual filter changes.

I'll be ordering two Fumoto valves, the other brand strikes me as lower quality. My annual cost of changing oil is predicted to be ~$100, or about the cost of one dealer provided oil change. I'm really not saving that much and it's a job where you're pushing your body (in my case) so I have to wonder if DIY is really the best approach.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Found the torque for the bolts, I forgot it was covering the starter. 9.5 ± 2.5 N·m or 84 ± 22 in-lb . Removing it results in a drip-free oil change.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    The 2015 mantenance manual has two schedules. The one for harder driving conditions suggests oil changes every 3750 miles, and the one for lighter driving suggests oil changes every 7,500 miles. I plan to split the difference and change the oil every 5,000 miles, the same as we did with our 2006 Scion XA.
    do you happen to have the schedule I cant seem to find mine

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miragefan17 View Post
    do you happen to have the schedule I cant seem to find mine
    I would ask a Canadian. Not that Americans are stuck up, but we have different maintenance schedules. I've heard Fummins say enough to know that about oil changes. Canadian winters may warrant the different recommendations.

Likewise, other parts of the world may not be stuck on only recommending 0W-20 oil for the Mirage.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

miragefan17 (06-18-2020)