Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oil change thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

2019 Oil change thread

Welcome to the oil change thread for 2019. It seems every year there's something new to discuss about what really is a basic component to keeping an engine running smoothly.

Take some time to chime in with your oil change plans and strategy. Do you take your cars to a garage or service department? Do you do it yourself? What supplies are your favorites? What oil, filters and/or tools to you use to get the job done? Be sure to include links to these items so we all can benefit from your experience.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Welcome to the oil change thread for 2019. It seems every year there's something new to discuss about what really is a basic component to keeping an engine running smoothly.

Take some time to chime in with your oil change plans and strategy. Do you take your cars to a garage or service department? Do you do it yourself? What supplies are your favorites? What oil, filters and/or tools to you use to get the job done? Be sure to include links to these items so we all can benefit from your experience.
    Hi friend from Cleveland, I had the second oil change of my 18 Mirage G4 on the end of March (12200 KM), this is also the first DIY oil change in my life. The first oil change was done in late Dec at 7600km (conventional 5W-20). I used Quaker state conventional 5W-20 and Parts Plus oil filter from Rockauto (less than 2 dollars each and the quality looks good!)
    The old oil from the engine was pretty dirty at about 5000km after the cold winter in Canada and 80% of city driving. The oil change was not difficult, it took some time to put on the new oil filter (I prefilled it about 1/2). I also put some tinny strong magnet on both the oil filter and drain plug. I guess I did not tighten the drain plug enough, it drips only several drops of oil per day. But it should not be a concern till the next oil change (it may lose 150-300 ml oil after 6 months). Planning to do the next oil change in early Oct using 0W-20 synthetic oil before winter comes. I also kept the receipts for the oil filters and oil, hopefully the DIY wont affect the warranty in Canada.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luckyforrest For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The 2015 mantenance manual has two schedules. The one for harder driving conditions suggests oil changes every 3750 miles, and the one for lighter driving suggests oil changes every 7,500 miles. I plan to split the difference and change the oil every 5,000 miles, the same as we did with our 2006 Scion XA.

The oil was changed right before we got the car, 2+ weeks ago, and they put in Havoline 0w20 full synthetic, with a cheap filter. I figured out what it was, but have forgotten. I figure it will be okay.

At the next oil change I want to use Mobil One Extended Performance 0w20, with a Mobil One Extended Performance oil filter.

Whether I do the changes or not (I intend to do some of them) will depend on two things:
    (1) The kind of weather we are having. I have no protected area to work.
    (2) What other service might be needed at the same time. Maybe sometimes I'll have the dealer or other mechanic do the oil change along with other service to get it all over at once.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonkeyPal For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    The 2015 mantenance manual has two schedules. The one for harder driving conditions suggests oil changes every 3750 miles, and the one for lighter driving suggests oil changes every 7,500 miles. I plan to split the difference and change the oil every 5,000 miles, the same as we did with our 2006 Scion XA.

The oil was changed right before we got the car, 2+ weeks ago, and they put in Havoline 0w20 full synthetic, with a cheap filter. I figured out what it was, but have forgotten. I figure it will be okay.
    Since we switched our driver's education cars (Fords & Chevys) from conventional oil to synthetic oil a couple years ago, our local mechanic suggested going from 3,000 mile to 5,000 mile oil change intervals. I am of the same opinion as you. There are two schedules. 5,000-6,000 miles splits the difference between them, & 5,000 miles is easy to remember. If I did mostly long highway mile drives in a nice climate area, I would consider 7,500 intervals. I feel 5,000 mile intervals are more appropriate for where I live and how I drive. Plus, it's only 3 quarts of oil.

As far as filters goes, I would feel comfortable using -
    Mobil 1 M1-110A (1 year/20,000 mile filter) - approximately $10 @ Walmart.
    Fram Ultra XG7317 (20,000 mile synthetic oil filter) - approximately $9.50 @ Walmart This is not a junk filter!
    Purolator BOSS PBL14610 (15,000 mile filter) - approximately $12 @ Farm & Fleet.
    Purolator ONE PL14610 (10,000 mile filter) - approximately $7 @ Farm & Fleet.

I've been buying/using the Purolator ONE filters so far. I seem to get them on sale for about $6. Since I am doing 5,000 mile oil changes, I feel comfortable using any of these filters. These are filters that are in the stores that I shop at. I am not opposed to WIX or other brands. I would avoid cheap FRAM filters, but I've used them in the past (conventional oils) with no issues. I see myself sticking with Purolator ONE &/or using the FRAM Ultra oil filter.

As far as oil goes, I have been using -
    Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic - approximately $23/5 quarts @ Walmart.

In the past, I bought Mobil 1 when they have their rebates. Thus, I still have some jugs stocked up. Since I was using this oil in my 2011 Subaru Forester, I was using this oil prior to my Mirage purchase. The Forester takes 5.5 quarts/oil & filter change.

Once I use up my stock pile of Mobil 1, I am switching to Walmart SuperTech Synthetic. I have used SuperTech conventional oils for decades. I believe SuperTech Synthetic is a high quality oil, & you would have to show me some hard evidence that other brand name products are superior. I am done with brand name oils. Once I switch to SuperTech, I am not switching back to anything else even if it is on sale.

Super Tech Full Synthetic SAE 0W-20 Motor Oil is approximately $16/5 quarts @ Walmart. You can order 3, 6, 9, or 12 packs. In the future, I plan on buying the 3 packs (15 quarts) for $47.46 with 2 days free shipping to my home. I think 0W-20 is an excellent winter oil for Wisconsin winters. Eventually, I may use 5W-30 SuperTech Full Synthetic during the summer months in both my Forester/Mirage & 0W-20 during the winter months. I feel this may give my engines the best protection year round. Others may feel differently about that, & that's just fine with me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...arts/254038905

Steve (forum member) has 240,000+ carefree miles on his Mirage. His car is running on 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles. Steve also lives/drives in the south part of the U.S. Fummins (northern climate) has been using cheap synthetic oils in his fleet cars with no issues. His oil change intervals are earlier than 7,500 miles, too. Any CVT issues discussed are not engine oil related. I honestly believe anyone using a quality oil filter and synthetic oil changed every 5,000 miles has very little to worry about. Are some synthetic oils & filters better than others? Probably?

0W-20 SuperTech full synthetic oil with a quality filter changed every 5,000 miles is where I am headed in the future. I may or may not use a 5W-30 SuperTech full synthetic during the summer months. Given what high mileage Mirage users have shared on this forum, I feel with very comfortable about all this.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-06-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Drain Valve: Fumoto
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...in-Valve-Specs

Oil: Mobil 1 Syn 0w-20 purchased when multiple K-Marts went belly up.

Filter: Parts Master $34 for 12 (Same specs, distribution center, and manufacturing plant in Mexico as Wix #51356 oil filter. Also part of Affinia Motor Group same as WIX)

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...eriences/page4

7500 mile changes
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 04-06-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    (blank signature)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Drain plug: Fumoto
    Oil: M1 AFE 0W20 (on sale)
    Oil Filter: MZ690072
    Frequency: It's supposed to be changed ?
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    ...I guess I did not tighten the drain plug enough, it drips only several drops of oil per day.
    The original washer on the drain plug is toast. Check this thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The original washer on the drain plug is toast. Check this thread.
    Yes, the 'crush washers' on the drain plugs are supposed to be replaced every time the oil is changed. You can usually get a couple changes out of one before it leaks, but they are a replacement item.

These are the OEM ones I use, but there are cheaper alternatives available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-...EAAOSwfztbWH8w

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Hi friend from Cleveland, I had the second oil change of my 18 Mirage G4 on the end of March (12200 KM), this is also the first DIY oil change in my life. The first oil change was done in late Dec at 7600km (conventional 5W-20). I used Quaker state conventional 5W-20 and Parts Plus oil filter from Rockauto (less than 2 dollars each and the quality looks good!)
    The old oil from the engine was pretty dirty at about 5000km after the cold winter in Canada and 80% of city driving. The oil change was not difficult, it took some time to put on the new oil filter (I prefilled it about 1/2). I also put some tinny strong magnet on both the oil filter and drain plug. I guess I did not tighten the drain plug enough, it drips only several drops of oil per day. But it should not be a concern till the next oil change (it may lose 150-300 ml oil after 6 months). Planning to do the next oil change in early Oct using 0W-20 synthetic oil before winter comes. I also kept the receipts for the oil filters and oil, hopefully the DIY wont affect the warranty in Canada.
    Congratulations luckyforrest on your first DIY oil change. Doing this maintenance yourself helps you better understand your car and it's condition.

Regarding that oil drip, as has been mentioned the drain plug crush washer needs to be replaced. My advice is don't tolerate an oil leak. Next oil change, be sure to take care of this. If another leak developed, it could easily be ignored, which could lead to more problems. Plus, I've had my share of leaky cars making a mess of a nice driveway. Also, avoid the temptation of over-tightening the drain plug. If that little guy were over-torqued and it's threads stripped, your problems would be multiplied.

I replaced my drain plug with a Fumoto valve to make oil draining easier. This also eliminates the need for a crush washer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After trying multiple filters I have settled on the fram ultra synthetic. I get the least amount of start up noise with it. The worst was mobil ones filter.

I run M1 0w-30 year around.

I change my oil every 5k miles and the filter every 10k. It says it's good for 20k but I feel 10k is long enough.

I actually have to change my wifes Mirage oil today.