Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    Land Rover [...] out of warranty.
    Yikes!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Yikes!
    Exactly! I do all of the work myself on the Land Rover. Thank goodness for RockAuto, EBay and Atlantic British. They all allow me to buy cheap, but good quality parts to keep it going strong.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I guess I'm not the original here and I'm using Mobil 1 0w 20 and fram xg filters. I tried penzoil and motomaster, no problem, but did not like it. Mobil is smooth when its -40 C outside. not sure, read this tread and maybe I will keep my oil filter for 2 oilchanges but i preffer to change the parts simultaneuosly.
    Vovanchik and Mirage Musya

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 40.3 mpg (US) ... 17.1 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the Impaler View Post
    I guess I'm not the original here and I'm using Mobil 1 0w 20 and fram xg filters. I tried penzoil and motomaster, no problem, but did not like it. Mobil is smooth when its -40 C outside. not sure, read this tread and maybe I will keep my oil filter for 2 oilchanges but i preffer to change the parts simultaneuosly.
    If "fram xg" means the Fram Extra Guard filter ($3.88 @ Walmart), I wouldn't even use that filter unless you are changing your oil every 3,000 miles. That is Fram's lowest grade filter. I surely wouldn't leave that filter in for two oil changes. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Fram Tough Guard ($6.82) is their mid-line filter & that would be a better for choice for 5,000-7,500 mile synthetic oil change intervals.

Fram Ultra Synthetic filter ($9.42) ranks right up there with the best oil filters on the market. They are rated for 20,000 miles intervals. A filter claim doesn't override manufacturer suggested oil change intervals.

Personally, I wouldn't bother changing my oil if I am not changing my oil filter at the same time. Detergents in today's oil suspend the dirt and grime that a quality oil filter can remove. A good filter doing its job will collect more debris.

I would not read this thread & assume leaving a Fram extra-guard oil filter in for two oil changes is a good practice!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If "fram xg" means the Fram Extra Guard filter ($3.88 @ Walmart), I wouldn't even use that filter unless you are changing your oil every 3,000 miles. That is Fram's lowest grade filter. I surely wouldn't leave that filter in for two oil changes. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Fram Tough Guard ($6.82) is their mid-line filter & that would be a better for choice for 5,000-7,500 mile synthetic oil change intervals.

Fram Ultra Synthetic filter ($9.42) ranks right up there with the best oil filters on the market. They are rated for 20,000 miles intervals. A filter claim doesn't override manufacturer suggested oil change intervals.

Personally, I wouldn't bother changing my oil if I am not changing my oil filter at the same time. Detergents in today's oil suspend the dirt and grime that a quality oil filter can remove. A good filter doing its job will collect more debris.

I would not read this thread & assume leaving a Fram extra-guard oil filter in for two oil changes is a good practice!

I'm using Fram XG7317 Ultra Spin-On Oil Filter with Sure Grip , got it from amazon https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000C33MI2/...394800_TE_dp_1
    i believe this is the best one. used bosch, was ok at the moment, but this is really tough and heavy duty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 40.3 mpg (US) ... 17.1 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the Impaler View Post
    I'm using Fram XG7317 Ultra Spin-On Oil Filter with Sure Grip , got it from amazon https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000C33MI2/...394800_TE_dp_1
    i believe this is the best one. used bosch, was ok at the moment, but this is really tough and heavy duty.
    XG7317 is the Ultra Synthetic, & it is Fram's best oil filter. Thanks for the clarification. It's a very good oil filter. Cheap ones are PH7317 (called extra guard) & tough guard are TG7317.

I haven't bought a Fram for sometime, & forgot how they letter their products. Sorry!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    XG7317 is the Ultra Synthetic, & it is Fram's best oil filter. Thanks for the clarification. It's a very good oil filter. Cheap ones are PH7317 (called extra guard) & tough guard are TG7317.

I haven't bought a Fram for sometime, & forgot how they letter their products. Sorry!

I was not precise with my description ) just did oil change and installed this filter. went offroad (!), not kidding. I thought i got suck in a ditch but this car is amazing. it was muddy clay , very slippery right after the rain. the engine was doing just fine, no noise or problems. have to wash my car now

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been using Mitsubishi filters, they're only $5.

I have been using 5w-20 in the 2015, I haven't touched my 2018 yet. I got 5 free oil changes as part of my deal.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's interesting. I read somewhere on the BITOG forums that oil doesn't store well when subjected to freezing temperatures. I recall some discussion about viscosity and waxy substances forming. I can't argue against lab tests but it makes me wonder how the sample was stored.

I suppose if I kept the oil indoors it would be fine, but I don't want to do that. I'd rather buy some fresh stuff.
    I think the oil would need exposure to temps of -50/-60F before any changes to the structure (waxiness) would happen.

On another note, am I reading things right? Your 2015 has less than 7,500 miles on it as of 2019?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I think the oil would need exposure to temps of -50/-60F before any changes to the structure (waxiness) would happen.
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    On another note, am I reading things right? Your 2015 has less than 7,500 miles on it as of 2019?
    According to my Fuel Economy Log, Speck has about 28,000 miles on the odometer. Why did you think it had only 7,500?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)