Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oil change thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    FYI be careful when buying filters from Rock Auto and make sure they are the right part number for the vehicle. I ordered filters for my '07 Outlander and new '18 Eclipse Cross and the filter part numbers showed the same, but they are not. Ended up going to the parts store in the middle of the 18's first oil change to get the right filter. Tried to call Rock Auto about it but they no longer have a phone number for you to call them about these types of issues.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WEXX View Post
    FYI be careful when buying filters from Rock Auto and make sure they are the right part number for the vehicle. I ordered filters for my '07 Outlander and new '18 Eclipse Cross and the filter part numbers showed the same, but they are not. Ended up going to the parts store in the middle of the 18's first oil change to get the right filter. Tried to call Rock Auto about it but they no longer have a phone number for you to call them about these types of issues.
    I have ordered parts from Rockauto quite a few times in the past 3 years, it happened only once to me. The oil filters I received are Parts Plus PH2876 manufactured by Premium Guard (same as PG4612 but not the EX version), they sell them in bulk, so I got 6 of them in total, cost only 9 dollars in total. The weight of the filters are quite consistent ranging from 250-251 grams, feels solid and heavy for a small-sized filter like this. So far it works flawlessly on my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    I have ordered parts from Rockauto quite a few times in the past 3 years, it happened only once to me. The oil filters I received are Parts Plus PH2876 manufactured by Premium Guard (same as PG4612 but not the EX version), they sell them in bulk, so I got 6 of them in total, cost only 9 dollars in total. The weight of the filters are quite consistent ranging from 250-251 grams, feels solid and heavy for a small-sized filter like this. So far it works flawlessly on my Mirage.
    Rock Auto does have it's issues most will agree but it was a type-o on the site and I tried to let them know but had no way of doing so. For me, RA has been a 97% success rate for the amount of parts I have bought from them. The only other issues I had was they shipped a set of spark plugs in the same box as a pair of brake rotors, ended up trashing a couple of the plugs and when I ordered brake calipers for my Cordia Turbo the brackets were the wrong ones so I just used the old one with the new calipers. I have caught some good deals though on really hard to find parts for the Cordia.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    coming up on my first one probably by summer I am gonna do the severe schedule since I drive city mostly gonna use synthetic from the dealer where it will be changed or idemitsu oil if I do it myself.

Hoping to add a fumoto valve to make changing it myself easier

For filters not sure but I like wix and purolator as well as german filters

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdollatari View Post
    coming up on my first one probably by summer I am gonna do the severe schedule since I drive city mostly gonna use synthetic from the dealer where it will be changed or idemitsu oil if I do it myself.

Hoping to add a fumoto valve to make changing it myself easier

For filters not sure but I like wix and purolator as well as german filters
    I was told by my dealership that an EZ drain valve would risk voiding the warranty. The service manager told me I shouldn't install one. I had actually bought one on Amazon, and then had to send it back for a refund. I will have to stock up on crush washers and a couple extra drain plugs. I'll just use the lowest suggested tightening torque to avoid stripping the threads.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    I was told by my dealership that an EZ drain valve would risk voiding the warranty. The service manager told me I shouldn't install one.
    Did you ask him why??? As long as you don't have a total loss of oil causing an engine failure I don't see an issue with it.. Any Tech worth his pay would be able to tell if an engine has been run without oil if you had a failure... What reason did he give you??? & even call Corporate to verify if they are only blowing smoke up your a**... Really, this sounds like a ""Service Manager"" that has no clue... Just trying to scare you into using them for oil changes....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Did you ask him why??? As long as you don't have a total loss of oil causing an engine failure I don't see an issue with it.. Any Tech worth his pay would be able to tell if an engine has been run without oil if you had a failure... What reason did he give you??? & even call Corporate to verify if they are only blowing smoke up your a**... Really, this sounds like a ""Service Manager"" that has no clue... Just trying to scare you into using them for oil changes....
    He told me that he has seen Mitsubishi deny claims on many items that were not installed by the dealership or installed by an owner. Being that I have a ten year powertrain warranty, he said that he wouldn't risk it. Mitsubishi could use that against me if I ever had internal engine problems. He seemed like he was being honest with me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Why not keep the original drain plug handy and install it for dealer visits?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    He told me that he has seen Mitsubishi deny claims on many items that were not installed by the dealership or installed by an owner. Being that I have a ten year powertrain warranty, he said that he wouldn't risk it. Mitsubishi could use that against me if I ever had internal engine problems. He seemed like he was being honest with me.
    Sadly, he was probably being honest with you.

I ordered some custom seat covers. I wonder if I should have the dealer install them for me?

I've always done my own oil changes, but my Mirage is my first car to get a Fumoto oil drain valve. I like it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sadly, he was probably being honest with you.

I ordered some custom seat covers. I wonder if I should have the dealer install them for me?

I've always done my own oil changes, but my Mirage is my first car to get a Fumoto oil drain valve. I like it!
    This is the oil drain valve I had wanted to install on my Mirage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JB...b_b_asin_title

I thought is wasn't bad for the price. I will be installing one like this on my Corvette and Land Rover when I change the oil next time. Those vehicles are out of warranty.