Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oil change thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Changing synthetic oil every 3,700 miles is almost as much of a waste of money as going to the dealer for an oil change
    Like I said "I know its overkill". My Mitsubishi dealer charges $45.00 for a synthetic oil change. The parts alone come out to be about $38.00 with tax, if I were to buy the oil and filter myself. I don't mind paying a little bit more for the labor and to have them give my car an inspection.

At least it's not as bad as the 3,000 mile oil changes that I do on my Vette. That engine is super clean inside though. I don't let the dealer touch the Vette. I do just about everything myself mechanically. The last dealer damaged my rocker panel when using the lift. They paid for the repair, but it took awhile to get it fixed. They will never get my Vette back into their dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    Like I said "I know its overkill". My Mitsubishi dealer charges $45.00 for a synthetic oil change. The parts alone come out to be about $38.00 with tax, if I were to buy the oil and filter myself. I don't mind paying a little bit more for the labor and to have them give my car an inspection.

At least it's not as bad as the 3,000 mile oil changes that I do on my Vette. That engine is super clean inside though. I don't let the dealer touch the Vette. I do just about everything myself mechanically. The last dealer damaged my rocker panel when using the lift. They paid for the repair, but it took awhile to get it fixed. They will never get my Vette back into their dealership.
    Guess that's not too bad a price. And if you're close and its convenient. For me it's about an hour with no traffic to the mitsu dealer plus it's so quick to do in my garage I just do it...plus I know it's getting done right.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    $45 for a synthetic oil/filter change is not bad at all. If visiting a dealership is convenient for you & you trust them, that's surely not a bad option for you. It's when dealerships start bringing up bogus services that may or may not be necessary, the red flags would start coming up for me. Some dealerships are good about taking care of their customers. If you have one of them, that's wonderful! By all means take advantage of that!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    I also kept the receipts for the oil filters and oil, hopefully the DIY wont affect the warranty in Canada.
    Hi there, don't mean to pester but..

If you have never changed oil on a car before, why start on your brand new car? This baffles me so much. Risk voiding the warranty? Who has that much budget to play with?

Let the pros do what they know, when you go to the doctors, you don't want a vet doing the job. You don't leak oil after.

At least start with a lawnmower? I just don't have money to burn like that. I don't understand it. Sorry don't mean to be mean but don't do work on your car if it's under warranty. Plus if you can afford a new car you can afford taking it for a proper oil change. Motors run optimally if they aren't played with. The car might look like a toy

Start with lawnmowers
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-12-2019 at 08:11 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I change the oil & rotate tires on Speck under warranty. I don't see a problem with it and would encourage others to give it a shot if only to learn more about their car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I change the oil & rotate tires on Speck under warranty. I don't see a problem with it and would encourage others to give it a shot if only to learn more about their car.
    Presumably, you know 100% what you're doing? Our friend here has a leaky Mirage.

Doing your own work on a new vehicle, to me, kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new vehicle.

I'm all about the dollar and cents, and to play with the potential of voiding the warranty, isn't worth the cost/ benefit of "learning". Maybe I'm missing something here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Changing synthetic oil every 3,700 miles is almost as much of a waste of money as going to the dealer for an oil change
    Exactly. If you're going to change it that frequently then save money and go conventional.
    (blank signature)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Pryme (04-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Presumably, you know 100% what you're doing? Our friend here has a leaky Mirage.

Doing your own work on a new vehicle, to me, kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new vehicle.

I'm all about the dollar and cents, and to play with the potential of voiding the warranty, isn't worth the cost/ benefit of "learning". Maybe I'm missing something here.
    I found the slow leak was caused by the drain plug, I put a copper washer on it and tighten it, no leak now. Oil change is one of the easiest thing we can do, just follow the youtube videos. Everyone can do that. I also kept the receipts for the oil and filter, wrote down the mileage. Took picture of the mileage and the scene I do the oil change. User's manual did not say we cannot DIY, but we need to keep the record.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luckyforrest For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here.
    Making mistakes is but one way we learn. Some lessons cost more than others.

Take this forum for example. I'd say it has a good cost/benefit/lolz ratio.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Making mistakes is but one way we learn. Some lessons cost more than others.

Take this forum for example. I'd say it has a good cost/benefit/lolz ratio.
    Lots of chuckles for sure, and it's funny I am talking positively about the warranty since I had to personally fight Mitsubishi tooth and nail, but the Forum here literally saved me money by having a copy of a technical bulletin which perfectly matched my Mirage's funky faulty starter. Lots of headaches later.. my car is fixed andseems fine.

So there you go according to Mitsu's inflated balogna figures they gave me, the Forum here literally saved me $3200 Canadian dollars or more. So I'm going to Jasper lol vacation soon, see the Rocky Mountains but I have an SUV rental free upgrade at Thrifty--- no Mirage at Jasper mountains photos unfortunately