Thread: Help please (with brake drum)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Help please (with brake drum)

How do I remove this spiny bearing thing in the middle of the brake drum?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04O6...iMw#Auburn,_IN

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    From what I saw, it looks like a press-fit wheel bearing. You'll need a press-fit bearing removal and installation kit, I've got a link right here. Or, if you have space to work with, get a hydraulic shop press. There's a good selection of those on Harbor Freight (As a Canadian, I sometimes go to Princess Auto).

In the olden days, some of these drum brakes used tapered roller bearings. Personally, this is a first time seeing a brake drum with a press-fit ball bearing inside it.
    Last edited by jtr990; 04-06-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Description change

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jtr990 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Cobrajet can verify this because he's done it.

Here's the back side of my 2015 brake drum...

Name:  drum.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  64.4 KB

There's a snap ring that has to come out...so you'll need some snap-ring pliers. But even after the snap ring is removed, the bearing has to be pressed out like jtr990 says.

I'm just curious...why do you need to remove that bearing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm just curious...why do you need to remove that bearing?
    Good question. Is the bearing bad? Or the drum? A new OEM drum should come complete with the lug studs, wheel bearing, and ABS ring. Aftermarket ones do not.

As was mentioned, you will need snap-ring pliers and a press to get the wheel bearing out. The old bearing could be hammered out, but I don't like hammering in new ones for fear of damaging them.

If you do not want to invest in the tools I would recommend going to a machine shop. They would be able to press that bearing out in a couple minutes and for a couple bucks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A lot of auto parts stores will remove your wheel bearing from your drum for a small fee. Maybe not AutoZone but if there is a somewhat locally-owned store they'll do it definitely.

I also find it odd why you are wanting to remove it. The car isn't that old. I did have a 2002 Subaru that had the axle seized in the bearing and it took several tons of pressure to get it out. The guys at nine to nine Auto Part helped me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Codylehr23 View Post
    A lot of auto parts stores will remove your wheel bearing from your drum for a small fee. Maybe not AutoZone but if there is a somewhat locally-owned store they'll do it definitely.

I also find it odd why you are wanting to remove it. The car isn't that old. I did have a 2002 Subaru that had the axle seized in the bearing and it took several tons of pressure to get it out. The guys at nine to nine Auto Part helped me out.
    Most 02+ dodge 1/2 tons are like that. I have never seen one that didn't have the front cv axle seized to the hub.

I have seem a few wheel bearing go on these cars. Mostly front's though.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)