Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your Mirage start to shake at high speeds, like the 90 mph mark?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just drove a 2017 G4 that did this exact thing. 54k miles on it, newer tires, AND the steering wheel was off center. Is this indicative of the rear axle problem?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I just drove a 2017 G4 that did this exact thing. 54k miles on it, newer tires, AND the steering wheel was off center. Is this indicative of the rear axle problem?
    Yes it is

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Never really got what the "rear axle problem" is, the Mirage is designed with city and economy driving in mind, the car can drive one the freeway, but it's not meant to cruise at 90 mph in my opinion.

Other econo boxes I have driven in the past did the same thing, and the dated sort of robust basic tech in the Mirage means there is also no electronic sound deadening etc. you know Not a luxury vehicle

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Never really got what the "rear axle problem" is, the Mirage is designed with city and economy driving in mind, the car can drive one the freeway, but it's not meant to cruise at 90 mph in my opinion.

Other econo boxes I have driven in the past did the same thing, and the dated sort of robust basic tech in the Mirage means there is also no electronic sound deadening etc. you know Not a luxury vehicle

Cars were coming from the factory with their non-adjustable rear axles out of spec, meaning early tire wear and steering issues. Only fix is new rear axle (covered under warranty). Now, my next question is, if I bought this car, would it get fixed under warranty?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    if I bought this car, would it get fixed under warranty?
    I bought my then-brand new Mirage in April 2014 and it was manufactured on like March 2013 I think or May 2013 says on the door stamp.

Some early Mirages like mine had an engine starter issue, Mitsubishi covered like 85% under warranty so 10 year warranty bit of a scam in my opinion.

No steering problems or premature tirewear whatsoever with my Mirage here at 110,000kms... so the shaking at high speeds might be the nature of the car itself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hi Mirage Forum members, I noticed my Mirage starts to almost shake a bit at short duration high speeds (85+ mph) on the freeway. Is this normal?

I'm not worried about it, pretty much every other cheap econo box I have ever driven does the same thing.

My Mirage is nearly silent at idle, so the motor is fine, and my Mirage drives straight as an arrow, no alignment or tire problems, they're pretty new still.

Not worried just an observation, the Mirage is not really meant for high speeds.
    I've gone cross country & cruised at 80-90 without any unusual shaking - not anything significantly more than what I normally feel at 50-60.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Think I’ve had it up to 90 ish and no shaking here. I did have a bent wheel that shook a bit between 55-60 before I got it off the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ed100 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Um, why would you even try doing 90 mph in a 3 cylinder car?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Because we can?

IMO it's more fun pushing a slow car to go fast than a fast powerful car.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-13-2019),Rockabilly Manta (04-14-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The small size (like length width height) of my Mirage makes high speed kinda scary. The small 3 banger under the mini hood revs high at high speeds, but Im confident the motor can take 99 mph fine..

Not sure the whole package of the plasticy car likes it, but more generally crusing around 60 mph my Mirage is loving it.