Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your Mirage start to shake at high speeds, like the 90 mph mark?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Does your Mirage start to shake at high speeds, like the 90 mph mark?

Hi Mirage Forum members, I noticed my Mirage starts to almost shake a bit at short duration high speeds (85+ mph) on the freeway. Is this normal?

I'm not worried about it, pretty much every other cheap econo box I have ever driven does the same thing.

My Mirage is nearly silent at idle, so the motor is fine, and my Mirage drives straight as an arrow, no alignment or tire problems, they're pretty new still.

Not worried just an observation, the Mirage is not really meant for high speeds.

Last edited by dspace9; 04-07-2019 at 06:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hi Mirage Forum members, I noticed my Mirage starts to almost shake a bit at short duration high speeds (85+ mph) on the freeway. Is this normal?

I'm not worried about it, pretty much every other cheap econo box I have ever driven does the same thing.

My Mirage is nearly silent at idle, so the motor is fine, and my Mirage drives straight as an arrow, no alignment or tire problems, they're pretty new still.

Not worried just an observation, the Mirage is not really meant for high speeds.
    I would say this is not normal, though I don't drive that fast to be able to compare.

Get your tires checked, either for abnormal wear or for balance. Most vibration problems are caused by tire problems, visible or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-07-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I would say this is not normal, though I don't drive that fast to be able to compare.

Get your tires checked, either for abnormal wear or for balance. Most vibration problems are caused by tire problems, visible or not.
    Thanks Eggman, I will be putting on my new (gently used) alloys and dunlops for the first time soon, whenever spring actually arrives. Then I will see if anything seems off kilter with my current Bridgestones, which handle great, and show no wear. I feel better than my first original Dunlops.

Yet maybe the Dunlops were better higher speeds, we will see when I get my summer rims on (so I have a second set of Dunlops, and the first set are in tire heaven)

I am not a speed demon, am not weaving or tailing, quite the opposite. I live in a rural area, open roads, sometimes I like to speed a little more than others but also only once and a while.

I like my space driving and give people space too, genuinely, though I find people drive in clumps or packs in the highway, maybe it's their cruise control.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    While we own our 2015 DE, high speed will be about 56mph, and it will rarely see that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonkeyPal For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-07-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    While we own our 2015 DE, high speed will be about 56mph, and it will rarely see that.
    Most of the time my Mirage doesn't see past 55 mph either, I just wanted to give it a go for a few minutes on an empty, flat stretch of highway. Still, I shouldn't be giving it like I do the odd time, not safe even on a race track.

Nothing is really, drowsy driving and drinking and driving isn't safe but speed has to be that common denominator

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you take the lead weight off the rims & use the Counteract balancing beads inside the tires https://www.counteractbalancing.com you will never have to balance another tire. I have them in my Motorcycle & all my cars & trucks. I will never go back to lead weights on a rim for balancing...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-07-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I will never go back to lead weights on a rim for balancing...

Roger
    Thanks Roger, interesting product, I hadn't heard of this product until now. I am reading their website now, though most of the issue is that the Mitsubishi Mirage is not meant to drive at higher speeds.

Not sure if Counteract balancing beads is available in Canada.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks Roger, interesting product, I hadn't heard of this product until now. I am reading their website now, though most of the issue is that the Mitsubishi Mirage is not meant to drive at higher speeds.

Not sure if Counteract balancing beads is available in Canada.
    I'm in Ontario & I get them from Amazon, or stop @ your local heavy Truck & Trailer service place, or your local FLAPS, or a quality tire store (not CTC, they will look @ you as if you have 2 heads). You only need 2~3 oz for our tires (I use 3 oz) , so if you get them from the truck place, you'll need someone with a kitchen scale to dial you out 3 oz for each tire as most truck places sell them in 10 oz pacs.... If you have an issue with balance, these balance the whole rotating assembly...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most of the time my Mirage doesn't see past 55 mph either, I just wanted to give it a go for a few minutes on an empty, flat stretch of highway. Still, I shouldn't be giving it like I do the odd time, not safe even on a race track.

Nothing is really, drowsy driving and drinking and driving isn't safe but speed has to be that common denominator
    We usually shoot for getting up to about 52 mph. We try to avoid interstates or expressways, even 4-lane highways, or any roads with traffic on them...whenever we can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I do a lot of Autobahn driving, and it doesn't shake the least.
    I would check alignment, tyres and their balancing.