Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to everyone, but I will not be purchasing a Mirage.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone, but I will not be purchasing a Mirage.

I just wanted to thank the forum folks before I go.
    I joined recently with the thought that I would likely purchase a Mirage.
    I have definitely decided against it.

Only some of it is the negative reviews. It is more that the 2001 Corolla that I bought
    back in December is finally growing on me---after a bunch of money and labor.
    Were I to try sell it, I would probably lose over half of what I put into it. And it
    really does have some fine points and I think I can make it limp for another 150K miles
    with little more put into it.

That was the MAIN reason I decided against the Mirage.

Other, lesser reasons.....
    1. I could buy a nice motorcycle with the extra funds. I am motorcycle-less after losing both of mine (and a scooter) to fire.
    2. The thin sheetmetal, its inclination to have little dents easily added--that reminded me of my Metro. Corolla already HAS a ton of little dents!
    3. There was some youtube review I watched at just the right/wrong time to make me decide. Some Peewee Herman guy. He trounced on the dead steering. I had the same thought about my Corolla.
    4. And then there was the issue of actually getting the car for anywhere near two-thirds MSRP. I am not at all sure I could have. So when the opportunity to schedule the test drive occurred, I could not in good conscience test drive a car that I had no intention of buying. So I will likely never REALLY know....

The end.

Thanks everybody for being so civilized. This is a nice, helpful bunch of forum members.
    Carry on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderBridgeDweller View Post
    2. The thin sheetmetal, its inclination to have little dents easily added--that reminded me of my Metro. Corolla already HAS a ton of little dents!
    That was the biggest reason why I avoided buying a new car for so long. With a beater, things can only get better. When you buy a new car, it's only going to get worse, and there's no "previous owner" to blame any problems on. Also, I had a Metro, too; the Mirage sheet metal is definitely thinner.

The Corolla is a fine car. If it works for you and you like it, keep it! No sense spending money on a car you don't need. Save your money and enjoy it. It's much better to get buyer's remorse before actually buying. If something does go wrong with the Toyota, you can always revisit your choices later.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Thanks UnderBridgeDweller for your kind words.

It's true - cars are money pits. Not many cars out there appreciate in value, much less hold their value. Going used helps to reduce this but cannot avoid it.

Also, I never understood why 'dead steering' is a thing. I've never had a problem with the Mirage steering. Eh.

Best wishes for your future. Hope to see you around.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    3. "There was some youtube review I watched at just the right/wrong time to make me decide. Some Peewee Herman guy. He trounced on the dead steering. "

Doug Demuro? Lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Before I bought my Mirage (before the car was even on my radar, really) a co-worker of mine was already considering one and was setting up a test drive. When I asked him how his test drive went, he said he didn't like the way the Mirage handled...and wound up buying a 2009 Corolla instead.

Hard to argue with that call. Thanks for checking in, and good luck with the 'Rolla!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We just got a new Mirage, it's just 3 years old and had a very low price. Sure looks brand new compared to our 13-year old Scion XA, which was in unbelievably good shape for a car of its age. Yeah, we probably could have kept the Scion going for years more. It only had 150,000 miles on it. Thinking about having something different, newer, going into next winter probably had more to do with our advancing age than the Scion's. But I won't criticize somebody for keeping an older car in use if it's working for them and they can afford any repairs that crop up.

I noticed something different about the Mirage steering compared to the Scion's when I first drove the Mirage, but after having the Mirage for 2 1/2 weeks I don't notice any steering problem and I can't recognize or remember whatever it was I thought was different. I did raise the tire inflation up 2 psi from what's recommended. Maybe it was a tire issue, not really a steering issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2001 Corollas are good cars.

Yeah there is no dead steering in either of my 17's at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    When my youngest daughter graduated from college a couple years ago, she wanted to buy a a good used car for about $5000. She usually doesn't ask my advice on much, but she did on this. I told her to buy a 2000-2005 Corolla or Civic. She bought a one-time owner 2003 Civic with 70,000 miles on it from a nearby Honda dealership. It's been a great car for her!

If I owned a 2001 Corolla, I wouldn't have bought a Mirage. I like old cars that are still dependable. If you just carry liability insurance on them, they are probably the cheapest transportation on the road.

Cars are money pits!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

UnderBridgeDweller (04-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I like the steering. Could use a sway bar, but the steering is tight and responsive in my opinion. I feel in control of the car. However, I am used to 60's, 70's, 80's cars. Been driving Ford pickups for years so maybe cars made in the past 30 years have better steering.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tried looking for the particular Mirage review, but it is apparently not on youtube.
    If I remember right, I wasn't looking for a review. It was some little window that popped up
    in the lower right-hand corner while I was trying to read some news article. I have seen
    the guy talking away before but I have always had the volume off. If I find it, I will report
    back so that you all can gang up on him about his dead steering comments.