Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to everyone, but I will not be purchasing a Mirage.

Re. the steering: keep in mind that Mitsu re-calibrated the Mirage's steering for the 2017 model year, and made it "normal". You need to know which year Mirage was being reviewed when you hear that comment.

See thread:
    EPS (electric power steering) actively self-centers steering for 2017 (video)

Good luck with your Corolla!

(I'll be the last person to criticize someone for keeping an older car in serviceable shape... I still haven't pulled the trigger on a Mirage either! My $1000 Miata and Metro are doing the job ...for now.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Re. the steering: keep in mind that Mitsu re-calibrated the Mirage's steering for the 2017 model year, and made it "normal". You need to know which year Mirage was being reviewed when you hear that comment.

See thread:
    EPS (electric power steering) actively self-centers steering for 2017 (video)

Good luck with your Corolla!

(I'll be the last person to criticize someone for keeping an older car in serviceable shape... I still haven't pulled the trigger on a Mirage either! My $1000 Miata and Metro are doing the job ...for now.)
    Only having experience with the 2018 Mirage, I'd say the steering still feels quite dead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know what "dead steering" means...could I be a Zombie or something?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Only having experience with the 2018 Mirage, I'd say the steering still feels quite dead.
    I have a 2018 GT & the steering feels quite normal to me. I had been driving a 2005 Ranger before so I don't know if that makes a difference. What was your old car??. Maybe you're just used to a different style steering??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I have a 2018 GT & the steering feels quite normal to me. I had been driving a 2005 Ranger before so I don't know if that makes a difference. What was your old car??. Maybe you're just used to a different style steering??
    What I mean is that the steering has little to no feedback from the road. My previous cars were a Scion iQ and Toyota Corolla.

It is quite possible that the OEM skinny tires are a big contributing factor, as both previous cars I had had wider, 16" tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder how much of this steering issue has to do with how light the Mirage is. My 2015 Mirage has barely more than 80% of the curb weight of the 2006 Scion XA we traded in on it, and they are very close to the same size otherwise.

I'm old enough to remember when power steering was an option that a lot of people didn't want to pay extra for, and there were still a fair number of cars around without power steering when I started driving,and I got to drive a few of those. Some of the heavier ones gave you more feedback from the road than you might have wanted. The lighter the non-power-steering car was, the less the feedback you got, and the less muscle strain you had by the end of a long drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when power steering was an option that a lot of people didn't want to pay extra for, and there were still a fair number of cars around without power steering when I started driving,and I got to drive a few of those. Some of the heavier ones gave you more feedback from the road than you might have wanted. The lighter the non-power-steering car was, the less the feedback you got, and the less muscle strain you had by the end of a long drive.
    Yep. Some steering shafts used rag joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A rag joint refers to certain flexible joints (flexure bearings) found on automobiles and other machines. They are typically found on steering shafts that connect the steering wheel to the steering gear input shaft, usually at the steering gear end. They provide a small amount of flex for a steering shaft within a few degrees of the same plane as the steering gear input shaft. It also provides some damping of vibration coming from the steering system, providing some isolation for the steering wheel.
    emphasis added.

I can buy a replacement steering shaft for my Jeep CJ that includes a vibration dampener.

I'm not sure that feedback from the road is necessarily a good thing, especially in a small car. If all those road vibrations were to be fed back through the steering wheel, I'm sure it would spark a new outcry from our professional automotive reviewers.

I think it's fine the way it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (04-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lots of it has to do with the influx of Electric PS. Not a lot of vehicles have hydraulic PS anymore. My Tundra does still which I'm happy about as I will say Hydraulic PS does have the best feel imo.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Lots of it has to do with the influx of Electric PS. Not a lot of vehicles have hydraulic PS anymore. My Tundra does still which I'm happy about as I will say Hydraulic PS does have the best feel imo.
    Except that my previous two cars also had electric power steering.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think it's fine the way it is.
    Except I wonder how manual steering would work. I mean what could go wrong?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)