Thread: How can they sell a Mirage so cheaply!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How can they sell a Mirage so cheaply!?

I keep looking (aka stalking) at the websites for local Mitsubishi dealers and their Mirage inventory. Some of them sell the cars so cheaply, I'm wondering if there's a catch. This ES manual is $11944 ($250 is a loyalty rebate, but still, $12194 without that rebate is amazing!

http://www.hbmitsu.com/new/Mitsubish...49ddc6f8eb.htm

There's a blue one at the same price I have my eye on; I shouldn't be buying a car now (saving money for my wedding in March), but it's so tempting. I contacted the dealer to see what the details are

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've read a little about car pricing, and it is very mysterious. For example, the "dealer invoice" is what they pay . . . BUT, they get various rebates and incentives from the dealers based on sales, promotions and such, so they can make a profit even selling below invoice some times.

My family bought a truck new in 2005 that cost nearly $40 000. A few years later the same truck was selling for much less. I expect supply/demand is more relevant than cost of production.

Another dealer told me (about his competition, when I told them they quoted me $3000 less on a similar vehicle) "there is no way you can get that car for that price. If you can, buy it, but I expect when you get in the finance office you will see where you are going to be paying back the difference."

As to the Mirage, it is made overseas, likely highly automated, large volume, and lower material cost (it is several hundred pounds less car than most), so I expect it could be made for less. Also, at least in Canada, the delivery fee is the same as vehicles that are twice the length and weight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    At the very least I would insist they apply the loyalty discount to the license & doc fee. 11,944 plus tax out the door.. Done

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Spoke to them yesterday- the price breakdown was a follows: $11944+$250 for not having a loyalty discount= $12194+ destination fee ($825)= $13019+ fees/taxes= $14561. Not as good as expected, but still a fair deal. I was very tempted, but am trying to be strong another nine months or so. My fiancé is telling me shut up already and buy the darn Mirage that I'm obcessed about, lol

Quote Originally Posted by festiboi View Post
    My fiancé is telling me shut up already and buy the darn Mirage that I'm obcessed about, lol
    Sooner you learn to do what your wife tells you, the better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I can buy a brand new mirage sport in white as a manual for $11490 (standed price $13990) drive away or an LS in white as a manual the top of the range here for $11990 (standed price $14990) drive away at a dealer in Brisbane Queensland Australia. These a insanely cheap here. I was told these are old stock they want cleared out before the end of the year and there is limited supply at this price. Here is a link to there ad on a car sales website.http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...?Cr=13&sdmvc=1

Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    These a insanely cheap here. I was told these are old stock they want cleared out before the end of the year
    I guess y ou're seeing "end of year" clearouts that we won't see here in North America until this time next year, since the one on sale here is classed as a 2014 model year.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    As to the Mirage, it is made overseas, likely highly automated, large volume, and lower material cost
    I've read that Mirage production actually has a lower than usual amount of automation because labour costs in Thailand are so low (lower than China). EG: in Japan, Mitsu's workers do about 10% of the welding and the rest is done by robots, whereas in Thailand, workers do 60% of the welding. See thread: Mitsubishi Mirage is the first import in the U.S. from Thailand; further growth ahead

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by festiboi View Post
    Spoke to them yesterday
    on the phone or in person with a wad of benjis?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    As long as they do good work it's not a problem, the main advantages of robots are the consistency, no fatique and lower fault percentage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)