Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blower Motor Always ON

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Blower Motor Always ON

So I ran into a weird issue with my 2017 Mirage ES with the MANUAL heater controls. If the car is ON the blower motor runs constantly on low speed no matter if the fan switch is on OFF, 1, 2, or 3 position. If I put the fan control on the 4 position it runs full blast. I normally don't ask for help on forums for my own cars because I will win and fix it myself eventually. I assume the blower resistor is the issue.

Do these cars have a blower resistor or is there something else I need to look at? I did a search on the forum and found nothing regarding the issue that just popped up on mine. Don't get me wrong. I can totally live with this issue and not even bother to fix it, but I like fixing stuff! Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Have you seen this thread? Fan Blower Not Working

Not sure if it's helpful in your situation, the blower uses a transistor for speed control?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    So I ran into a weird issue with my 2017 Mirage ES with the MANUAL heater controls. If the car is ON the blower motor runs constantly on low speed no matter if the fan switch is on OFF, 1, 2, or 3 position. If I put the fan control on the 4 position it runs full blast. I normally don't ask for help on forums for my own cars because I will win and fix it myself eventually. I assume the blower resistor is the issue.

Do these cars have a blower resistor or is there something else I need to look at? I did a search on the forum and found nothing regarding the issue that just popped up on mine. Don't get me wrong. I can totally live with this issue and not even bother to fix it, but I like fixing stuff! Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience.
    I haven’t ran into that one. Yes there is a heater resistor. It’s near the heater motor, either mounted on the bottom of the heater box or on the side facing the glove box. I can’t remember exactly. They are a pretty heavy duty looking thing. I pulled a few from wrecks but haven’t had to replace one yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The power transistor must be for the automatic climate controls with more than just three fan speed settings.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing the solution to this problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Damn those unreliable manual climate controls...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know how the manual control logic works, but I remember when I was on the wrenches, GM had the blower motors run all the time even in off to pressurize the cabin to prevent exhaust from getting in... Would this be the case with your Mirage??? I can't say for sure 'cus I have "Auto" controls, so just a guess??? Sorry I can't be more help... Roger
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

No, the motor should turn off completely when switched off. That goes for both styles of heater controls on the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have narrowed it down to the blower resistor being the culprit. Problem is I can't get one. None of our local parts stores can get it including O'Rielly who put in a special order request.

Rock Auto and Parts Geek have none in stock. No local junkyards have a Mirage with manual heater controls.

Anyone got one laying around? Standard part # RU-889

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If they are standard resistors, they should be available through electronic parts suppliers. Do you have the ratings for the resistors in watts and ohms?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do not. Just can't find one.