Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a car audio guy, ask me anything

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

I'm a car audio guy, ask me anything

Hey, new to the forum, I just got a 2019 mirage hatch se. I found the site looking for install and build pics while planning my next setup, and wanted to put myself out there for anyone that has general stereo install questions. I've competed in MECA sound quality in 07 and 13, and have been building cars for almost 20 years. My screen name is thumper26 on diymobileaudio.com, and here's the build log for my old cobalt (rip).

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ild.html?amp=1

I've always been sq oriented and learned from other competitors and shop owners. Not saying any of this to brag or imply my methods are better or anything, just providing credentials so you know I'm not a backyard hack job.

Car audio is my passion, and a little bit of love can go a long way in making these cars quieter and more comfortable, as well as improving the stereo quite a bit.

Future system will be using a Dayton audio 408 digital signal processor to the amps, with a davidnavone line out converter supplying signal from the factory deck.

Depending on what I settle on, I'll be using either one or two 5 channel amps like a ppi ice2200.5 or ppi phantom p900.5.

6" midbass in the doors, and either a 3" mid and a tweeter in separate pods attached to the sails, or a full range mid like the Dayton audio ps95-8.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-349

Sub will be one or two Dayton shallow 10's in a custom box to fit the cargo area, along with the amps and proc. Everything will be under a false floor, hopefully no deeper than 5" total and will still be able to access the factory spare.

I'll do a build log once I get everything saved up and get started but first thing is deadening mat everywhere, denim insulation under the carpet and behind the door panels, and mat and reflectix insulation wrap under the headliner. I did a similar process to the cobalt and on a 95 degree sunny August day running 80 down the interstate I had to turn the ac completely OFF bc it was making me and my buddy have cold chills. The difference is incredible, and the best 100-200 bucks you can spend to upgrade the ride in your car.

I digress, big plans in the works, let me know how i can help any of you with your goals!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thumper26 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-10-2019),Rockabilly Manta (04-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Looking forward to the write-up! I'm not sure anyone has done a serious top-to-bottom build like you are talking about.

I didn't know Parts Express was still in business!?! I don't live too far from there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alive and thriving! They have some cool stuff out now too. They Just got some incredible morel drivers that I'd be using if I had the money. They're less than an inch thick!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It will be a little while before I can pull the trigger but I have most of the pieces identified already so just gotta make sure everything is in order before pulling the trigger.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper26 View Post
    I digress, big plans in the works, let me know how i can help any of you with your goals!
    Hello Thumper26 and welcome to the forum.

I look forward to learning more about your approach to this. I enjoy music, but don't want to spend much on it. Because of this, I haven't paid much attention to car audio.

I'm sure you are aware that Mitsubishi had Rockford Fosgate worked out a kit for the Mirage that includes an amp, sub, and installation hardware. I bought and installed one, and I really appreciate how it improves the sound. I'm sure you can put together something unique that many will find useful, and this thread will get lots of attention.

Thanks for joining and sharing your work.

By the way, what happened to your Cobalt?
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-10-2019 at 08:56 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'm excited to get started on it. I was sitting in traffic ad a kid rear ended the SUV behind me so hard it hit me and totaled the car. Turned the trunk inside out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was sitting in traffic ad a kid rear ended the SUV behind me so hard it hit me and totaled the car. Turned the trunk inside out.
    Holy Toledo. I'm glad you're ok. Or at least I hope you're ok.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Physically I was fine. It literally inverted the spare wheel well. I actually drove it home, the damage was a V shaped impact dead center of the bumper.

Emotionally, I miss her every day. My dad helped me build the car and I won MECA world finals with it.

Started reaching out while planning the setup since it's my first hatch and I've never done an sq build in one.

Will have illusion audio c3cx point sources in pods at the sails, Phoenix Gold Ti3 midbasses in the doors, and a 10" Phoenix gold shallow mount sub.

Two Phoenix Gold SX 800.4 amps will be mounted under the passenger seat, and their DSP8.8 prolly under the driver's, with the tire jack moved to the cargo area.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New seat heaters.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, new to the forum, I just got a 2019 mirage hatch se. I found the site looking for install and build pics while planning my next setup, and wanted to put myself out there for anyone that has general stereo install questions. I've competed in MECA sound quality in 07 and 13, and have been building cars for almost 20 years. My screen name is thumper26 on diymobileaudio.com, and here's the build log for my old cobalt (rip).

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ild.html?amp=1

I've always been sq oriented and learned from other competitors and shop owners. Not saying any of this to brag or imply my methods are better or anything, just providing credentials so you know I'm not a backyard hack job.

Car audio is my passion, and a little bit of love can go a long way in making these cars quieter and more comfortable, as well as improving the stereo quite a bit.

Future system will be using a Dayton audio 408 digital signal processor to the amps, with a davidnavone line out converter supplying signal from the factory deck.

Depending on what I settle on, I'll be using either one or two 5 channel amps like a ppi ice2200.5 or ppi phantom p900.5.

6" midbass in the doors, and either a 3" mid and a tweeter in separate pods attached to the sails, or a full range mid like the Dayton audio ps95-8.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-349

Sub will be one or two Dayton shallow 10's in a custom box to fit the cargo area, along with the amps and proc. Everything will be under a false floor, hopefully no deeper than 5" total and will still be able to access the factory spare.

I'll do a build log once I get everything saved up and get started but first thing is deadening mat everywhere, denim insulation under the carpet and behind the door panels, and mat and reflectix insulation wrap under the headliner. I did a similar process to the cobalt and on a 95 degree sunny August day running 80 down the interstate I had to turn the ac completely OFF bc it was making me and my buddy have cold chills. The difference is incredible, and the best 100-200 bucks you can spend to upgrade the ride in your car.

Hey Thumper26 any updates on your audio project?

And by the way, are you familiar with Rockford Fosgate amps? I understand the one used for the Mirage kit is tuned through programming for the Mirage and have wondered if it could be reprogrammed.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-27-2019 at 03:03 PM.