Thread: Yaris springs

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Yaris springs

Recently purchased a 17 se leftover and have tried vw springs as a much needed way to firm it up back there. Alas they were just to long. I have read here that yaris work well, but am wondering if the difference is worth it with the already somewhat upgraded 17 coils. Tia

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XR754 View Post
    Recently purchased a 17 se leftover and have tried vw springs as a much needed way to firm it up back there. Alas they were just to long. I have read here that yaris work well, but am wondering if the difference is worth it with the already somewhat upgraded 17 coils. Tia
    Did you try the regular VW Beetle springs or the “lowering” springs? The regular springs are too long but the springs available on eBay and elsewhere that will “lower” the VW Beetle 2 inches fit and will raise the rear about a inch or so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hello XR754 and welcome to the forum.

I tried two sets of Yaris springs (from different years) and found funny problems with them. I recall their coil end diameter was not the same size as the Mirage coil seats and didn't feel confident that they would stay in place.

The stock Beetle springs I tried gave a nice ride but they were too long. I looked for cheap lowering springs - rear only - but came up empty. I couldn't find any at a reasonable price. It's as though the market dried up for the Beetle.

So I went with the Air Lift air bags. I just haven't put them in yet.

I wouldn't expect 2017 & up Mirage rear suspensions would need any assistance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    So I went with the Air Lift air bags. I just haven't put them in yet
    I’ve been leaning that direction too because I like the adjustability. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet so I’d like to hear your experiences after installing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Did you try the regular VW Beetle springs or the “lowering” springs? The regular springs are too long but the springs available on eBay and elsewhere that will “lower” the VW Beetle 2 inches fit and will raise the rear about a inch or so.
    I went with the regular. I'm really looking to not raise it, just firm it up I guess. It just seems to wonky and unsteady back there. Add my kids, and it feels like it bottoms out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XR754 View Post
    It just seems to wonky and unsteady back there. Add my kids, and it feels like it bottoms out.
    That's a small car for ya. And I have to say, small car suspensions have really improved from back in the day. At least I think so. I have found that driving easy takes away that uneasy feeling.

Consider trying some Air Lift air bags and/or a rear sway bar by Daox, one of the forum admins (who has developed several items for the Mirage.) I think that'll get you where you want to be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a small car for ya. And I have to say, small car suspensions have really improved from back in the day. At least I think so. I have found that driving easy takes away that uneasy feeling.

Consider trying some Air Lift air bags and/or a rear sway bar by Daox, one of the forum admins (who has developed several items for the Mirage.) I think that'll get you where you want to be.
    Oh yeah the bar is on the list lol

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I tried two sets of Yaris springs (from different years) and found funny problems with them. I recall their coil end diameter was not the same size as the Mirage coil seats and didn't feel confident that they would stay in place.
    Glad I came upon this thread. I'm almost about to get myself a pair of yaris xp13 rear springs. I guess i'll have to stick with the aftermarket KYB springs for now and just replace the oem shocks to KYB (it has been proven to have more stiffer rebound than stock)