Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cvt oil question. (Have to use expensive Mitsubishi oil?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cvt oil question. (Have to use expensive Mitsubishi oil?)

I went to the dealership today and bought 3 quarts of CVT oil. I was shocked that the total came to $60. Being 18.50 for each quart.

Now I bought it I changed it but the oil is still pretty dirty so I'll have to do it a few more times eventually.

I don't want to pay that price again. is it okay to mix a different brand of cvt oil with this one? If so what would you guys recommend.

Also is there a transmission filter on these cars? If there is is it worth changing

2015 mirage RF. 67000mi.

Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Codylehr23 View Post
    I went to the dealership today and bought 3 quarts of CVT oil. I was shocked that the total came to $60. Being 18.50 for each quart.

Now I bought it I changed it but the oil is still pretty dirty so I'll have to do it a few more times eventually.

I don't want to pay that price again. is it okay to mix a different brand of cvt oil with this one? If so what would you guys recommend.

Also is there a transmission filter on these cars? If there is is it worth changing

2015 mirage RF. 67000mi.

Thanks.
    Hello Codylehr23 and welcome to the forum.

CVT oil is not cheap. There are alternative lubricants available that are cheaper than what Mitsubishi sells. While I have a 5-speed and not the CVT, I'm not sure it's a good idea to mix lubricants - especially if you are doing it yourself. The main reason why I say that is because I understand automatic transmissions have very specific requirements for additives. Unless there is a way to compare the additives of one against the Mitsubishi fluid, I don't see a great benefit of saving a small percentage of the cost. Especially if it's a DIY job. Doing it yourself is a cost-saving measure - use the savings toward the purchase price of the right fluid and rest easy not worrying if future problems are due to someone else's fluid. That's just my opinion.

That being said, Fummins maintains a fleet of Mirages used for deliveries and uses aftermarket fluids. He's had a couple of CVT failures but doesn't attribute those failures to the fluid. Read more about his adventures here:

CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)
    Cvt failure at 223000kms / 138k miles (courier car, 2nd CVT failure in the fleet)

The first thread includes info about the CVT filters. There are two.

More reading on CVT fluid change:
    How to: change your own CVT fluid / oil

More thoughts on the Mirage CVT fluid:
    The 2015 Warranty manual has no entry for automatic transmission fluid changes for normal service. The severe service says to check the fluid condition every 15,000 miles and to change it every 30,000 miles. Without knowing your driving conditions, it's worth noting that you are beyond twice that mileage.

The Service manual details how to do this work. It can be difficult to extract all the fluid out of any automatic transmission. I can see how some owners would rather leave this to a dealer's service department or another professional transmission shop.

I hope this helps. And hopefully more CVT owners who have gone through this will chime in and help you with your questions.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. When I saw this, I was browsing on my phone which doesn't help making a detailed response like this.

We have family in Pullman, on the Palouse. We really enjoy our visits to Washington state.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I would mix fluids without much hesitation. There is no way you'll ever get all the fluid out of the transmission, cooler, and torque converter. Its always going to mix somewhat.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I just bought the car like a month ago. Originally I bought it cuz I thought I would still have that powertrain warranty. I looked in the manual and that's not the case lol.

Thank you for the detailed response. I bought the mirage because it's cheap and seems fairly reliable and comfortable. I am a bit unhappy with road noise and wind noise especially sidewinds.

As for the CVT oil I found that I found Castrol CVT fluid on Amazon 6 quarts for 35 bucks. So I bought two boxes and I intend to use all the fluid to flush everything out the best I can. That's 12 quarts for the price of 3 OEM quarts. Hell yeah. The fluid was very very dirty. Black. But did not smell burned and I didn't see any metal specs. I'm just surprised how dirty it is. I've had a oyota Camry that had 200,000 miles with ATF fluid still bright red lol.

I'm hoping replacing the oil will extend the life of it and maybe improve my fuel economy. I have to drive incredibly granny style to get the EPA rated mileage. Especially terrible on a cold start.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Cheers

Cody

I'm with daox. There's a lot of fear monger's especially when it comes to cvt's. In case you didn't know there are 2 cvt filters. I'd at least change the paper cartridge one on the side of the transmission once in a while. The cvt fluid smells burnt and rank from new. Factory stuff is bluish green, the "wrong" stuff I've been using for years is light brown like engine oil.
    If your fluid is constantly dark after a few changes then you may have something going on in there. Make sure you have the proper fluid level.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The cvt fluid smells burnt and rank from new. Factory stuff is bluish green, the "wrong" stuff I've been using for years is light brown like engine oil.
    If your fluid is constantly dark after a few changes then you may have something going on in there. Make sure you have the proper fluid level.
    I noticed you have a fleet cars for delivery and you had two cars with transmissions that failed... either of those cars have metal in the fluid or a burning smell?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I noticed you have a fleet cars for delivery and you had two cars with transmissions that failed... either of those cars have metal in the fluid or a burning smell?
    Cody, take a look at the threads in my post above. Both CVT failures had lots of metal shavings. You'll also find info on filters there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-16-2019)

Yup, look at the links eggman already posted. Pieces of the thrust washer on the input shaft where picked up by the filter in the pan. Didn't know how bad it was plugged til I cut the filter open. And yeah there were shavings and chunks in the bottom of the pan too.
    The oil stinks from new so don't think that's an indicator of burnt fluid. It's not like atf.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah this stuff isn't cheap I was thinking of using idemitsu's cvt oil though it only lists for nissan not mitsubish anyway it runs $17 a quart on amazon so with labor that $60 doesn't look so bad...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Been emptying about 2.3qts every free days and have used about 9qts total. Fluid is a little better but still looks dirty when in oil drain pan.

New Castrol oil is red through.

Is it worth getting a flush or should I just keep dumping a little fluid every few days? I want this fluid clear again.