Thread: Waterhose ok to clean engine bay?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Exclamation Waterhose ok to clean engine bay?

I was thinking of buying a can of WD40 engine degreaser, spraying the foam all over, except the alternator, and then just a simple spray from a car wash spray gun. I know some folks are terrified of ruining their electrical components/systems but isnt everything electrical sealed and protected with rubber? Is this a real fear?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On an older car, it could be a problem. On something as new as a Mirage, I wouldn't worry about it. Everything is pretty well sealed. Be careful not to spray water into the intake, that would be easy to do with this car.

Be aware that engine degreaser by its very nature is going to strip wax off of your paint. Unless things are unusually greasy under the hood of your Mirage, I'd just take it to a car wash. Spray it with their regular car wash spray, or maybe their wheel cleaner spray. That's less likely to be harsh enough to trash your wax, but should be plenty to clean a little minor crud from under the engine. Then hit it with a high pressure rinse... being careful of anything that looks delicate. Parts of the wiring harness aren't well-protected, so don't get too close to that stuff with a high pressure hose.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would suggest covering the Alternator, the air intake & the Master cylinder with plastic bags. You really do not want water in the brake fluid. The car wash guns can blast 3000 psi or more & may force water where you don't want it (Ignition coils). I think I would maybe try a garden hose first & see what it looks like...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Where is the master cylinder and air intake? Is that the horn looking device?