Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Locksmith Rip off for spare key

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reminder. I remember reading about the 2-key thing for programming in the manual when I bought the car, and resolved to buy a third transponder key and program it ASAP. Three months later... I even work at a place that manufactures key duplication machines....

Fun fact: the actual metal key blank profile for the Mirage is the same as one used for some Geo cars, including the Tracker and Metro (Ilco B69 X180). I'll use one of those plain metal blanks we have laying around to make an emergency lockout key. It won't start the car, but it will unlock the door.

MIT17A-PT is the Ilco part number for the transponder blank that will also start the car (once programmed). Ilco is the biggest key maker in the world, so everyone uses their part numbers to identify key blanks.

Last edited by Scratchpaddy; 04-17-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Don't let it happen to you.
    If you still have the 2 original keys do yourself a favor and clone yourself a 3rd and 4th key.
    Maybe you just saved someone else the same grief. If I had a normal key for my Mirage (instead of a proximity key) I would go get this done.

That being said, $95 is not criminal. The computer hardware (and more importantly...the $$$ annual software updates) is what that $95 is paying for.

Locksmitshs (and dealers) deal with a lot of junk "eBay" keys that people bring them. Some of them work OK, some don't. I had a Nissan dealer program 2 extra proximity keys for my wife's Nissan. I got the keys on eBay, but they were OEM keys with the correct FCC ID. The dealer charged me $100 to program both of them. They also warned me up front...if you bring us crappy aftermarket keys that we can't program, we're still charging you $100. I was OK with that and it worked out fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I remember reading about the 2-key thing for programming in the manual when I bought the car, and resolved to buy a third transponder key and program it ASAP. Three months later... I even work at a place that manufactures key duplication machines....

Fun fact: the actual metal key blank profile for the Mirage is the same as one used for some Geo cars, including the Tracker and Metro (Ilco B69 X180). I'll use one of those plain metal blanks we have laying around to make an emergency lockout key. It won't start the car, but it will unlock the door.

MIT17A-PH is the Ilco part number for the transponder blank that will also start the car (once programmed). Ilco is the biggest key maker in the world, so everyone uses their part numbers to identify key blanks.
    Hi Are you sure you dont mean to say MIT17A-PT ?

http://mysecuritypro.com/MitsubishiM...KeyBlanks.aspx

Ref: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...eys-with-chips
    Last edited by fc321; 04-16-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Scratchpaddy (04-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Oops, yes, good catch! I edited my post. PH would be plain "Plastic Head" with no transponder. PT is "Plastic head, Transponder", which is what you need.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I made more phone calls and still cant find anyone that will do it for less than $95. I wish I knew the name of the machine. I would rather buy the actual key programming machine used and then sell it after I finish cloning my key.

Update: That strategy was not feasible. Sigh. Im screwed. Will have to pay $35 for the key on the Internet + $95 fee to locksmith to program and cut the key.

Darn. Hope this thread helps others and warns you to clone the keys WHILE YOU STILL HAVE your 2 originals. Dont be a fool like I was ........and believe me that you can lose your keys when you least expect it. Now I have to pay thru the nose.

I called over 6 places. I think all the locksmiths in my city have made an agreement together to charge around $100 or more for this service. Price collusion.
    Last edited by fc321; 04-17-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I actually just ordered a spare FAST key fob to replace the original I lost a couple years ago. This is supposedly a new OEM key fob which has never been programmed before, and $60 is a steal for one of these. Numbers all match up to the one original fob I still have. It would be great to be able to program it in-car, but I had no idea another key fob could be added without a trip to the dealership until after I lost the second fob.

I have an Autel MK808, which theoretically can program keys. But I am not sure I want to try to add a fob to this one so I will probably chicken out and have it done somewhere. I don't want to "brick" my car and have to tow it to the stealership, as I read someone here did by taking it to the wrong locksmith. The locksmith I used when I had a second key made for my Acura really seemed to know his stuff, so when the new fob and emergency key arrive I will call and see what he says.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredgik View Post
    You should have been more careful and provided yourself with spare keys in advance. But it's too late to think about it
    There's a pattern here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredgik View Post
    You should have been more careful and provided yourself with spare keys in advance. But it's too late to think about it
    I never intend to kick a man when they are down, but I try to bring this up in most any key related thread that appears on the forum.

I currently have zero need for a third key, but I made one just the same. It cost less than $15 to purchase the key & have it cut by my local hardware store. Using my two factory keys, I can program a third key in about 1-minute time (following the instructions in my owner's manual). No programming tools are necessary. Your Mirage will program the chipped key for you. The catch is - you must have two programmed keys to carry out the procedure. This is the only reason I had a third key made.

Sadly, a Mirage in Canada can't do this?

If my Mirage were a family shared car, I would have extra keys made (because they are cheap). If someone lost one, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

People are free to think whatever they want (push button start verses key ignition), but I feel a keyed ignition is superior in many respects. I wish my driver's education cars were like my Mirage.

It's not uncommon for 3 driving instructors to share two cars for our driving school. The ability to purchase & have an extra key made for under $15 is a really nice feature. In my situation, I would make one for my local mechanic, too. When the cars need service, I just give him a call. He picks up the car, services it, and returns it. I don't have to deliver the car, drop off keys, or pick up keys. He charges the services to my driving school credit card & leaves the slip in the car. My time is valuable.

I may be wrong, but I don't see multiple people using the same vehicles that easily with push button start.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (01-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some owners like to have spare keys....some like to have spare clutches. To each their own. I have a ton of spare parts and now will probably get a spare key as well. I do not have push button start.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-21-2022)

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    ... ADMIN deleted spam post...