Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Locksmith Rip off for spare key

Is this just clever spam?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Clever spam.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

We had to get a second key made for a 2017 Mirage. It's a regular metal key with the keyless entry key fob built in to the head. Ended up buying a new one from the dealer $274(retail)cad for the key, $10 to cut it and $80 to program it. What a bargain!
    I found some keys that looked similar on Amazon but they were close to $100 and I don't know if they'd work. I started to atempt to prgram one but didn't want to brick the car. I have successfully programmed new amazon keys/fobs for our 2015-2018 Nissans with our autel scanner but the Mits' are a little different.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    We had to get a second key made for a 2017 Mirage. It's a regular metal key with the keyless entry key fob built in to the head. Ended up buying a new one from the dealer $274(retail)cad for the key, $10 to cut it and $80 to program it. What a bargain!
    I found some keys that looked similar on Amazon but they were close to $100 and I don't know if they'd work. I started to atempt to prgram one but didn't want to brick the car. I have successfully programmed new amazon keys/fobs for our 2015-2018 Nissans with our autel scanner but the Mits' are a little different.
    At times, I am given the task of having an extra key made for driving instructors that share cars.

In the States, I would not overlook ACE Hardware. My local ACE will not only cut a more conventional key like the one for the Mirage, but they also have the machine to cut a laser key (quite common with some brands) now.

If you don't know the difference -

https://www.locksmithdenvermetro.com...r-cut-car-keys

My Mirage has the conventional two-sided cut key, & my Forester has the laser cut key.

Once they cut the key for you, ACE will go out in the parking lot & program it to your car for you. They are much cheaper than dealerships. $364 Canadian = $285 USD I realize Fummins wasn't paying that out of his pocket.

Anyone who owns a Mirage in the States with keys (not push button start) - I would recommend buying a cheap transponder key or two. It costs a couple bucks to have them cut, & your Mirage will program the blank transponder key itself without the need of any tool device. The one disclaimer is that you must have two working keys. I made a third key for that reason alone. It cost me less than $15 to buy the key & have it cut. Programming involved following the directions in the owner's manual. Sadly, Canadians don't have that option.

Two blank transponder keys from the Walmart site cost $11.47 with free shipping. Once you get them, you just have Walmart or a local hardware store cut them for you. You would have two extra Mirage keys for under $20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AKS-KEYS-...nder/756108926

I realize these don't have the remote buttons for power locks, but I can always go the more expensive route later on. I don't really need a remote to lock up a car with power locks. The button on the door does the same. If I am using various driver's education cars, I don't get all bent out of shape if I don't have a remote for the car. A transponder/chipped key gets the job done, too.