Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locksmith Rip off for spare key

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Locksmith Rip off for spare key

With all my trawling of this forum I never read about the fact that we need TWO original keys in order to clone a 3rd key. Now I am in the unfortunate position of having lost 1 key and I only have the second original key.

Even after buying a key for $35 on the Internet the local locksmiths are raking me over the coals and the lowest quote I have gotten is $95 to program the key.

Darn. Dont let it happen to you. If you still have the 2 original keys do yourself a favor and clone yourself a 3rd and 4th key.

I am so disgusted right now with these locksmiths and the price gouging. I dropped my entire ring of keys on Saturday and have zero idea what happened to them. I recommend people to put a sticker or tag with your phone number on your keyring or maybe one of those metal dog tags with your phone number so that if you lose your keys at least a person can call you and tell you they found it.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thats not bad at all. My wife lost the smart key for our Prius. It was ~$300 to have the locksmith come out and program a new one after breaking into the car. While he was there, she found her old key.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-10-2022),inuvik (04-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    we need TWO original keys in order to clone a 3rd key
    So what should that cost in USD?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    So what should that cost in USD?
    If you have the 2 originals you can clone the 3rd key yourself with the instructions in the owners manual and it would cost you either $35 for a key that has the buttons to open and close the electronic locks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P87MWTD

or $8 for the simple key that opens the car manually by sticking it in the latch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1HUWYC

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I really don't think its the locksmiths that are ripping people off. I can only imagine how much the OEMs charge to get a computer that can program a key lock... Thats where I'd point the finger. Going to a dealer isn't going to be any cheaper. I checked when my little mishap happened.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-15-2019)

First world problems lol Could be worse. Atleast you found a locksmith who could do it. Beats having your car towed to a dealership then paying them to do it.

I could probably program keys with the autel scanner I have here. But I've never had to try.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I really don't think its the locksmiths that are ripping people off. I can only imagine how much the OEMs charge to get a computer that can program a key lock... Thats where I'd point the finger. Going to a dealer isn't going to be any cheaper. I checked when my little mishap happened.
    From what I saw online the machine they use costs $400. I am just going to go down the list and call as many locksmiths as i can and see which one will do it for the $40-$60 charge that somebody had posted on this forum in a different thread.

$40 - $60 sounds like a reasonable fee assuming I buy the actual key on the Internet and bring it to them. I mean....sheesh.....

I dont like when they bend me over the barrel and stick it in. The high prices I mean.....

Hmm, maybe not the best analogy but I think you catch my drift. Hmmm, there is an expression nobody uses anymore in Canada.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    From what I saw online the machine they use costs $400.
    $40 - $60 sounds like a reasonable fee assuming I buy the actual key on the Internet and bring it to them. I mean....sheesh.....

I dont like when they bend me over the barrel and stick it in. The high prices I mean.....
    I have a small business & I see a lot of people buying stuff on line as opposed to buying local.I understand this. The people that sell online may have no overhead & are selling from the house, but the local guy you support will be there if you have any questions or issues with the parts you bought from him... If everyone supports the online buisness, the local guys won't be there to help you out.. Just my opinion..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-16-2019),Fummins (04-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Thats not bad at all. My wife lost the smart key for our Prius. It was ~$300 to have the locksmith come out and program a new one after breaking into the car. While he was there, she found her old key.
    I was thinking the same thing. $95 to program an el cheapo $35 key sounds very reasonable to me.

My spare key was destroyed in a fire. I always thought I would be stuck having to fork out $400 at a dealership should I ever need a new key. $95 plus $35 sounds a whole lot cheaper than $400.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I was told over $400 to get a third key at my dealership. I agree, it is highway robbery.

I can't help but think that the $95 locksmith fee won't get the job done. But it would be nice if it worked for that price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)