Thread: A/C - Am I doing it right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A/C - Am I doing it right?

Mines has auto climate control. When I start the car and press the snowflake button, it automatically turn on the recirculating mode. If I press the button again, it switches to "absorbing air inside from outside (idk what it called but I saw the inflow air from outside arrow)"

Anyways, what I really want to know is whether it is correct to leave the A/C on while on recirculation mode, even after the interior cabin get cooled? Otherwise, what is correct?

Interestingly, when leaving the AC on recirculation mode, there is a period or cycle of humming sounds for 2-3 seconds then goes off, then humming again. I assumed it normal..and loud.

Then, when I switch from recirculation mode to the next one; "inflow air" (as described above), it doesn't makes that humming sounds anymore. Very interesting observation I had. Thought?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just like a household air conditioner recirculate is normally the chosen source of air as it is already cool so it will take less energy to cool to desired temperature. Fun fact some people never realize this but a window air conditioning unit never moves air from outside to inside the home, the two sides of the unit operate completely independently.

The sound you are hearing is probably the compressor cycling on and off, Since less cooling is needed as the air is already cool as mentioned above the air conditioning compressor will cycle off to save gas then on again as needed.

i believe the correct terms for the two modes you speak of are "fresh air" and "recirculated air"

It is an automated system, unless you are a fuel economy junket leaving it on should be fine.

Also note if you are trying to defog windows use the outside fresh air option as it will contain less humidity as you havent yet breathed that air in.

There was a post on here with an A/C problem while in recirculate, the answer was he had a plastic bag stuck in the blend door that would cut off airflow in recirculate? I can't seem to find that thread right now.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Just like a household air conditioner recirculate is normally the chosen source of air as it is already cool so it will take less energy to cool to desired temperature. Fun fact some people never realize this but a window air conditioning unit never moves air from outside to inside the home, the two sides of the unit operate completely independently.

The sound you are hearing is probably the compressor cycling on and off, Since less cooling is needed as the air is already cool as mentioned above the air conditioning compressor will cycle off to save gas then on again as needed.

i believe the correct terms for the two modes you speak of are "fresh air" and "recirculated air"

It is an automated system, unless you are a fuel economy junket leaving it on should be fine.

Also note if you are trying to defog windows use the outside fresh air option as it will contain less humidity as you havent yet breathed that air in.

There was a post on here with an A/C problem while in recirculate, the answer was he had a plastic bag stuck in the blend door that would cut off airflow in recirculate? I can't seem to find that thread right now.
    All great points! My Mirage & driver's education vehicles have manual climate controls.

My Mirage gives me total control over the fresh air intake or the recirculated air intake. You must manually slide the switch for each one.

Running the A/C with recirculated air gives you maximum A/C in a car like my Mirage. When I turn on the A/C in my Impala instructor's car, it automatically goes to recirculated air. If I back the A/C off two clicks of the dial, it automatically goes to fresh air intake. I can't override that either. Being a control freak, I don't care for that as much.

I really like the manual climate controls on my Mirage. Auto climate controls on my parents' vehicles annoy me. It's not a deal breaker in owning a vehicle, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I tend to always WANT to run mine in FRESH mode. However, it gets mighty hot down here in the dirty-dirty. So when it's blazing on the inside, I run it at 61°F & Recirc. As long as I'm moving, it cools well even when MIGHTY hot. I find myself sneaking it back to Fresh mode when I'm cool enough. Of course I have to change it to 62°F on the auto-climate (for some damn retarded reason) to switch to Fresh. However, on 95°F+ days, if it's sunny out, I will usually have to switch it back to 61°F and Recirc before too long.

On sunny days and 95°F, the temp at the vents warms up probably 10° when switched into Fresh mode. That combined with the greenhouse warming in the car, the system cannot keep me cool enough. But Recirc mode can keep up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I keep mine on the fresh air mode as much as possible. In that mode you are drawing humid outside air in over the evaporator and the condensation keeps the evaporator washed off, which keeps it from stinking eventually. The germs and bacteria that make the A/C stink get washed off. If you use recirculate mostly the dry inside air does not have this effect and after a few years I pretty much guarantee you'll have a stinky A/C. Recirculate is more efficient in cooling of course but when used in moderation you'll be fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    We don't get much 'AC weather' around here, but when we do I just set the temp to 72 degrees, push the AUTO button, and make sure the system is set to RECIRCULATE and the AC is on (snowflake symbol on display). It is the only time I ever use the AUTO setting.

The system then automatically determines the volume of cold air necessary to maintain 72ish degrees in the cabin. Keeps me plenty cool even when temps are in the high 90s. Set it and forget it.