Thread: A/C not working properly when idling in Park

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A/C not working properly when idling in Park

Hello All,

I have noticed that my A/C will not work properly when idling in Park. I have a 2017 Mirage SE. It appears that the engine is not idling fast enough to keep up with the compressor. It blows mostly warm air out of the vents. When I am in Drive, I don't notice any problem. Since it is happening when in Park, it kind of defeats the purpose of the remote car starter to cool the car down before I get inside. Has anyone else noticed any similar A/C problems?

I had the Freon checked by the dealer recently. They removed all of the Freon and then put it back in and up to the proper level.

Do you notice your rad fan coming on when you turn on the ac while parked? Does the compressor kick in while parked?

Before wasting a bunch of time, If you just had it checked and it doesn't work properly why not just take it back and tell them it doesn't work? If it's low again then you have a leak.

The only problems I've seen with our cars was a pin hole in the condenser, but that caused it to leak the refrigerant out and not work at all. A few other's here have had the ac clutch crap out but you'd usually hear that going.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-16-2019 at 08:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    How many miles on your Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    ...A/C will not work properly when idling in Park...blows mostly warm air
    ...in Drive, I don't notice any problem.
    Are you saying that the AC is poor at idle when the car is sitting still, but it works fine once the car starts moving? If that's the case, then the first thing you need to do is what Fummins said and make sure your electric radiator fan turns on when the AC turns on.

What does the radiator fan have to do with anything?

You need adequate airflow over the condenser (that thing that looks like a second radiator) in order for the AC to function properly. The electric fan provides this airflow when the vehicle isn't moving. Once your car starts moving at a decent speed, there is plenty of airflow over the condenser and the airflow from the electric fan isn't required.

So pop the hood, start the car with the AC OFF, then have someone turn on the AC while you are looking under the hood. The electric fan should come on as soon as the AC turns on. Report back with your findings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Do you notice your rad fan coming on when you turn on the ac while parked? Does the compressor kick in while parked?

Before wasting a bunch of time, If you just had it checked and it doesn't work properly why not just take it back and tell them it doesn't work? If it's low again then you have a leak.

The only problems I've seen with our cars was a pin hole in the condenser, but that caused it to leak the refrigerant out and not work at all. A few other's here have had the ac clutch crap out but you'd usually hear that going.
    This. I have also seen cars with defective pressure sensors in the AC system that will cause the compressor to 'short cycle'...meaning it disengages far more quickly than it should. Typically, the compressor should engage for about 10-15 seconds and then stay off for 10-15 seconds before reengaging again when the car is idling. If it stays engaged much longer than that the system begin to ice up. Much shorter than that and cooling performance suffers.

As was mentioned, pay attention to the radiator fans. When the car isn't moving they are what draw the heat out of the circulating refrigerant after that heat has been removed from your cabin.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you to all for your help. My car has only 3,700 miles. The A/C doesn't blow cold air only when the car is in Park. Otherwise, it works fine. It even works fine if I am sitting at a light with the car in Drive. Apparently, it works fine when the transmissision is engaged and the engine is under load. It's been cool here lately and I haven't had a chance to check on your suggestions. I will check it out this weekend and let you know what I discover. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    The A/C doesn't blow cold air only when the car is in Park.
    It even works fine if I am sitting at a light with the car in Drive.
    OK...that's weird. Let us know what they tell you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    OK...that's weird. Let us know what they tell you.
    Just a follow-up. I took my car back to the dealer for the air conditioner problem. They had to order and then replace the compressor. I noticed immediately that when the compressor kicks in, it is much quieter now. It's not cycling on and off rapidly as it was before. I now have cold air blowing out of the vents when in Park or when I'm waiting at a light or stuck in traffic.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MirageSEFan For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (06-16-2019),craigq (06-16-2019),daleWV (06-16-2019),inuvik (06-16-2019),Top_Fuel (06-16-2019)