Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil for a mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Raise your hand if you remember the same damned fuss 20-25 years ago when 5w30 oil first hit the market.

"WHAT? My car needs 10W40 or 20W50! I won't even put 10W30 in it, that's too light weight. You want me to put 5W30 in it because it's supposed to save fuel??? It will destroy my engine!"

And... "WHAT? Change my oil every 5,000 miles??? Are you NUTS? I never let my oil go more than 3,000 miles, EVER. I usually change it at 2,500 just to be safe. My dad did 3k oil changes, and so did my grandad. If I let it go to 5,000 miles, it will destroy my engine!"

Same. Damned. Story. Same "old guys" resisting "new tech".

Oil tech has improved. Again. And it's still improving. 0W16 is coming next!

Read all of the oil studies from the people who's business it is to KNOW lubrication. They all say the same thing for oil in street cars: lighter is better. Particularly the low first number (cold viscosity). For a track-driven car, things can be a little different and you might want a 40 or 50 weight when it's hot. But, that doesn't apply to the Mirage.

Unless you're running so many miles every year that the cost of oil changes is a factor (Steve), or you've got lifetime free non-synth oil changes from the dealer (Steve)... just run the 0W20 synthetic, and be happy. And run it for 10-12k miles because it's synthetic and can handle it. Welcome to 2019.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

foama (04-18-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Thanks to Loren for the clarification!

A 5liter canister of fully synthetic 0W20 ILSAC GF-5 costs €20.79 (round US$23) including freight. Changing it every 15 000km is usually regarded as a waste of money in these parts, because most manufacturers recommend changing in excess of 30 000km or once yearly.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/5-1x5-Liter-...sAAOSwjbpbkp6h

European folks wanting to extend their oil change intervals safely to 50 000km or more, will use a longlife-oil formulated for VW, Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes Benz. That usually is 5W30 viscosity.
    These longlife oils meet or exceed following standards: MB 229.51, VW 507 00, BMW Longlife-04, VW 503 01, VW 505 01, VW 506 00, VW 506 01, MB Approval 228.5, BMW LL-04, PORSCHE C30.
    Last edited by foama; 04-18-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    ...And run it for 10-12k miles because it's synthetic and can handle it. Welcome to 2019.
    LOL...no argument here. Just stick to the recommended intervals while the car is under warranty.

THIS post is from a forum member who went 15,000 miles on Mobil-1 0W-20. His Blackstone oil analysis is in the post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Loren (04-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Almost all of the life of our 2006 Scion XA we ran it on Toyota's full synthetic 0W20 [people say it has a lot of moly(bdenum) in it]. After about 120,000 miles, when we went to the Toyota dealership less often for maintenance, sometimes it got Mobil 1 0W20, or some brand of full-synthetic 5W30. Never any engine problems up through the time a few weeks ago when we traded it in on our 2015 Mirage DE.

The used car dealer had just changed the Mirage's oil, putting in Havoline full-synthetic 0W20, which I guess goes for a bit over $10.00 per quart. In 5000 miles I'll have 0W20 full-synthetic put in it, thinking Mobil 1, but I'll be considering other brands, and will probably stay mainly with one brand after that. We drive a lot fewer miles than we used to, so I plan to do an oil change at least every 12 months, even if we haven't gotten to our next 5000 mile point.

Where I live temperatures always reach the high 90's (degrees Fahrenheit) in summer and can go lower than -10 degrees Fahrenheit in winter. We have it all!
    Last edited by DonkeyPal; 04-18-2019 at 01:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    Almost all of the life of our 2006 Scion XA we ran it on Toyota's full synthetic 0W20 [people say it has a lot of moly(bdenum) in it]. After about 120,000 miles, when we went to the Toyota dealership less often for maintenance, sometimes it got Mobil 1 0W20, or some brand of full-synthetic 5W30. Never any engine problems up through the time a few weeks ago when we traded it in on our 2015 Mirage DE. The used car dealer had just changed the Mirage's oil, putting in Havoline full-synthetic 0W20, which I guess goes for a bit over $10.00 per quart. In 5000 miles I'll have 0W20 full-synthetic put in it, thinking Mobil 1, but I'll be considering other brands, and will probably stay mainly with one brand after that. We drive a lot few miles than we used to, so I plan to do an oil change at least every 12 months, even if we haven't gotten to our next 5000 mile point.
    My car has lived on Mobil 1 0w-20 ever since it's third oil change (first two were gratis from dealership). No problems to report at 117k. I did a 7,500 mile OCI...right on the dot, every time. I can look through the oil fill cap at the top of my timing chain and cylinder head, and I see absolutely no sludging or buildup of any kind. Top end looks clean as whistle.

Sometimes, people overthink things. Keep the oil clean and enjoy 100,000 miles of trouble-free driving.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (04-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In reference to the original posting in this thread, I really don't think it matters what type of oil you use (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, synthetical, conventional, etc...). You apparently don't drive much. I would be more concerned about changing your oil more regularly than what you decide to put in it.

If you purchased your Mirage new, your 10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty is most likely voided by waiting 3-years to do an oil change anyways. Most conventional/synthetic oils on the market today are pretty good. If replacing your oil with an expensive synthetic is going to make you feel like it has to stay in there for an extended period of time (year or more), I would go with something you're more willing to change out more frequently.

I am not trying to be critical of the time period of first oil change. I just feel reducing that time period may be way more important than your oil choice.

Steve is doing OK (no engine leaks or burning oil) with 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles.

Just curious? Anyone else have anywhere near 245,000+ trouble-free miles on their Mirage using 0W-20 synthetic changed every 7,500 miles? If so, how's your Mirage doing?
    Can't really compare Steve's scenario with someone that drives stop and go short city trips for instance. Those long highway miles with little rpm change, braking etc are the easiest miles for a car by far. A stop and go city car with 100k has a way harder life.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    planning to use idemitsu 0w20 in mine or mobil if I can get it as I plan to keep and drive this as long as possible

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Raise your hand if you remember the same damned fuss 20-25 years ago when 5w30 oil first hit the market.

"WHAT? My car needs 10W40 or 20W50! I won't even put 10W30 in it, that's too light weight. You want me to put 5W30 in it because it's supposed to save fuel??? It will destroy my engine!"

And... "WHAT? Change my oil every 5,000 miles??? Are you NUTS? I never let my oil go more than 3,000 miles, EVER. I usually change it at 2,500 just to be safe. My dad did 3k oil changes, and so did my grandad. If I let it go to 5,000 miles, it will destroy my engine!"

Same. Damned. Story. Same "old guys" resisting "new tech".

Oil tech has improved. Again. And it's still improving. 0W16 is coming next!

Read all of the oil studies from the people who's business it is to KNOW lubrication. They all say the same thing for oil in street cars: lighter is better. Particularly the low first number (cold viscosity). For a track-driven car, things can be a little different and you might want a 40 or 50 weight when it's hot. But, that doesn't apply to the Mirage.

Unless you're running so many miles every year that the cost of oil changes is a factor (Steve), or you've got lifetime free non-synth oil changes from the dealer (Steve)... just run the 0W20 synthetic, and be happy. And run it for 10-12k miles because it's synthetic and can handle it. Welcome to 2019.
    I am not aware of any oil manufacturer claiming to supersede the vehicle manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals?

By most auto industry standards, Mitsubishi's oil change intervals (schedule 1 = 3,750 miles/3-months or schedule 2 = 7,500 miles/6-months) for the U.S. models are quite modest. I wouldn't make a blanket statement that would void someone's 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I guess a person can do whatever they want, & someone who buys a used Mirage (out-of-warranty) may look at this differently.

My first experience with a 0W-20 synthetic oil vehicle (not my Mirage) has been horrible! This vehicle has spent more time in the shop (dealership) than all of my former vehicles combined. All of the problems are oil related, & yet this same vehicle is highly praised by Consumer Reports & other car critics across the country.

Even a mechanic like Scotty Kilmer who adores Toyota products will proclaim today's Toyota vehicles are not as good as past models. I can't recall how many times I have heard him go on & on about how you don't want to own/drive numerous other brands, especially beyond 100,000 miles. In some cases, he even suggests leasing, because owning is way to high of a risk. That’s a sad statement for many new cars of today.

Now I don't take everything Scotty says seriously, & you can think what you want. Kilmer has been a mechanic for 51+ years. So I hear these claims about how today's modern engines & oils are so great! Yet, I hear mechanics endorsing older Toyota and Honda products. Why is that?

This may be 2019, but I am not impressed with today's auto industry. I do like my cheap Mirage, and I don't mind giving it a little TLC (oil/filter changes are so easy to do) when needed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Can't really compare Steve's scenario with someone that drives stop and go short city trips for instance. Those long highway miles with little rpm change, braking etc are the easiest miles for a car by far. A stop and go city car with 100k has a way harder life.
    I don't get your point? You just changed all the other variables. You may have justified the use of synthetic oils and more frequent oil changes I guess?

I live in the country and seldom drive in the city. My first 0W-20 synthetic oil vehicle (not my Mirage) has been a horrible experience so far. Mobil 1 changed every 6,000 miles (recommended is 7,500 miles). Thus, I am a bit skeptical of all the hype. I will admit that. It's also why I am attracted to something more basic like the Mirage I guess.

Steve's (& Fummins' fleet of vehicles) are receiving more frequent oil changes, & their engines seem to be doing great! Yes, some CVT issues have come up, but that's not engine oil related.

If other Mirage owners are getting 200,000 to 300,000 trouble-free miles with 7,500+ mile oil change intervals, I would be interested in knowing that? I am not asking for the other variables to be changed. Saying your car will make it to 100,000 miles isn't saying much these days. Those were cars that I grew up with in the 1960's, 70's, & 80's.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-19-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, we all have to make our own decisions. And maintaining the requirements of a warranty is certainly a consideration.

I put synthetic oil in all of my cars. Typically whatever the factory-recommended weight is. I've been doing annual oil changes since the mid-90's. For me, that's typically anywhere between 8k and 12k miles. Sometimes less. Rarely more. I've never had an oil-related problem on a modern car. Typically, I don't keep a car more than 2-3 years... but, I did have a 1994 Saturn for 7 years, a 1996 Saturn for 10 years, a 1996 Miata for 6 years, a 2006 MINI Cooper for 6 years, and a 2007 Miata for 8 years. No oil problems with any of those engines.

I had an oil pressure relief valve stick open on a my 1996 Miata engine. That's a rare, but known manufacturing tolerance problem. Happened to some 96-97 Miatas. Caused low oil pressure on cold starts until the relief valve closed after driving for a couple blocks. I ended up replacing the oil pump and the crankshaft bearings. Everything inside that engine was astonishingly clean at over 80k miles.

I had the camshaft on my last Spitfire engine get munched because the guy who built the engine (not me!) didn't tighten the oil pickup tube... oil starvation. We can't blame the oil for that.

But, I've never had an actual OIL related failure. 10k oil changes on good synthetic oil has worked reliably for me for a very long time.

Simplify and add lightness.