Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coasting downhill in neutral in a CVT damaging?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Coasting downhill in neutral in a CVT damaging?

Looking for opinions on if changing gears from D to N whilst coasting down a hill to a red light potentially damaging to the CVT7? Or is it actually less taxing on it and potentialy prolongs longevity?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Looking for opinions on if changing gears from D to N whilst coasting down a hill to a red light potentially damaging to the CVT7? Or is it actually less taxing on it and potentialy prolongs longevity?
    I doubt it would cause an issue but then again I'm not certain on that as I've never owned one. But you will certainly use your brakes more cruising down a hill in neutral. I try to keep from needing brakes on downhills until I absolutely need to. Let the engine do the majority of the braking.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You should consider getting the manual tranny Mirage like I have. The neutral slow down trick you mention is sort of like what I do in the boonies driving and when I have to slow down..--putting your left foot all the way down on the clutch, and cruising down to low speed this way.

Not really putting the car in neutral so much as cutting the power to the engine, and conserving the brakes (and gas) best you can.

Not sure what you are doing with you CVT is damaging per se, you are doing something with it outside the normal recommended normal usage parameters for sure. They say the CVTs are great on gas and power, not sure their rep is also they are finicky trannys so personal opinion, I wouldn't so much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 2,129 Posts
    I don't think neutral coasting would cause any problems. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    They say the CVTs are great on gas and power
    CVTs may allow improved fuel economy but I don't think they are known for handling lots of power.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    It's fine to coast in neutral but choose wisely where and when you do. There are a couple of long hills with long straight sections here on US101 where at the bottom where I can put it into neutral at the top, coast (usually reach about 75 mph) and reengage the CVT at 60mph. But I don't ever do it in town (only while sitting at stoplights) to insure the CVT is in neutral.
    Last edited by inuvik; 04-22-2019 at 02:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    Do not do that! I tried at 20 mph (ca. 32 km/h) put in N than return in D and it didn't connect it in the right ratio. Please try it on 50-60 mph and tell me. Maybe it has a software to adjust it right or maybe I hit the moment when it changed from 1. to 2. planetary gear....
    CVT is the best option for going downhill. It will adjust the ratio to not break with the engine in D. Ds and L I use more often than breaks pedal, and cruising control more often than gas pedal. Don't ask why, i just like CVT and every possibility to use it on unusual way.
    One more thing why is better to leave it in D is that when you raise the foot from the gas pedal, you feel instantly engine braking, but just one second later you can feel another kick in braking with the engine. That second is cutting power for gas nozzles like in every diesel and new petrol car. I think that you can save more gas in D.
    But try D-N-D at 60 mph

Inuvik - connecting was smooth?
    Diagram of torque converter says that it will stay locked above 40mph
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rockabilly Manta; 04-22-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly Manta View Post
    Do not do that! I tried at 20 mph (ca. 32 km/h) put in N than return in D and it didn't connect it in the right ratio. Please try it on 50-60 mph and tell me. Maybe it has a software to adjust it right or maybe I hit the moment when it changed from 1. to 2. planetary gear....
    CVT is the best option for going downhill. It will adjust the ratio to not break with the engine in D. Ds and L I use more often than breaks pedal, and cruising control more often than gas pedal. Don't ask why, i just like CVT and every possibility to use it on unusual way.
    One more thing why is better to leave it in D is that when you raise the foot from the gas pedal, you feel instantly engine braking, but just one second later you can feel another kick in braking with the engine. That second is cutting power for gas nozzles like in every diesel and new petrol car. I think that you can save more gas in D.
    But try D-N-D at 60 mph
    Coasting in the CVT is not a problem. I rev match 2000 rpm at 60mph when I engage and it's as smooth as butter. I also downshift into "B" at speeds of more than 60 mph, revs up to about 4500 rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But try D-N-D at 60 mph

Inuvik - connecting was smooth?
    Diagram of torque converter says that it will stay locked above 40mph
    Yup, when you're driving with the CVT at maximum overdrive ratio of .55 at 60 mph the Mirage is running at 2000 rpm. I just match the rpm for the speed and put it into drive. Completely smooth with no harshness or indication that you even put it into gear until you push on the gas pedal. I've literally done this hundreds of times (at least). But I only do it when I know I can coast faster than 60 mph. Never in town.
    Last edited by inuvik; 04-22-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: syntax, added info

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    Wow! man! thanks! It should has option to return without jumping or slipping.
    I found now that USA has B, EU has Ds and L. Ds is about 1000 rpm higher, good for light engine braking and L for real engine breaking.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow! man! thanks! It should has option to return without jumping or slipping.
    I found now that USA has B, EU has Ds and L. Ds is about 1000 rpm higher, good for light engine braking and L for real engine breaking.
    The 2017+ Mirages use the Ds and L also. "L" is "B" in the 2014-2015's and the "Ds" mode is a additional mode that lets the engine rev higher and downshift more aggressively. But it's the same CVT, Mitsubishi just added an additional programming to add the "Ds" mode.