Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Mirage 1.2 L 2014 Starting problem

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

Your Mirage is meant to run on cheap, first grade octane fuel. So it's called 87 in Canada, and the USA.

Trying to figure out why your car isn't starting, and if you're adding different fuel, and additives, maybe that busted your fuel pump?
    In other parts of the world, they recommend 95 RON or higher for fuel. Thus, his grade of fuel is probably not the problem. Yet, you keep bringing that up? This is a discussion going in circles. I think several have made good suggestions including you. It doesn't matter who is right? People are just trying to be helpful.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think several have made good suggestions including you. It doesn't matter who is right? People are just trying to be helpful.
    Thanks guy. I think it's the fuel pump.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Do they use
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:57 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This has happened to me twice on my 2018. The first time it happened, it was difficult to keep running but after several seconds, it straightened out. The second time it happened, I held the gas pedal to the floor, and it started but recovered quickly after the rpms came up. It seems like it was flooded for some reason. Hasn't happened since then and it's been several weeks. Oh, well....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuelblender For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelblender View Post
    The second time it happened, I held the gas pedal to the floor, and it started but recovered quickly after the rpms came up
    My 5 speed manual Mirage putters out and doesn't want to start the odd time, even with a new starter at 110,000kms. Worse at night for some reason, must be the dampness or damp nights is the problem.

When the sporadic even sporadically happens, I don't see it RPM bouncing or anything, the car just doesn't want to start right up and run steady. I have seen various electrical heavy equipment do the same. The same goes for any snowblowers and lawnmower I have encountered. Never goes as planned.

And my Bridgestone Potenza tires on my Mirage, which have admittedly 50k or more, are starting to crack after the second winter of driving, so nothing works all the time.

Oh well eh

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Like adding 92 octane gas in the tank. (address that Eggman)
    Ok, I think we've simmered down some. Now might be a good time to go into more detail about these things.

1. I'm suggesting a fuel system cleaner. The symptoms reminded me of what stevedmc went through and I thought a fuel system cleaner would be a good place to start.

2. There are lots of fuel additives out there. I agree with you dspace9, that most are not something I would want to add to my tank and wouldn't want to recommend for anyone else to use. I wouldn't want to make someone's problems worse. So I'm with you there.

3. Octane and octane boosters are different from fuel system cleaners. I suppose some fuel system treatments will claim both, but I was only focusing on cleaning and nothing else.

4. You're right - I'm no mechanic! But every now and then I try to learn more about cars from the standpoint of reliable & efficient transportation.

Since I don't always explain things well enough, I like to use some reference to fill in the gaps. I often either 1.) haven't memorized all aspects of some thing, or 2.) don't have much time to devote to a long worded explanation, or 3.) the explanation has already been typed up and I won't be able to improve on it. Sorry if this causes confusion.

Here's some further reading:

Octane rating

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelblender View Post
    This has happened to me twice on my 2018. The first time it happened, it was difficult to keep running but after several seconds, it straightened out. The second time it happened, I held the gas pedal to the floor, and it started but recovered quickly after the rpms came up. It seems like it was flooded for some reason. Hasn't happened since then and it's been several weeks. Oh, well....
    I agree, these symptoms sound like a flood condition.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    But every now and then I try to learn more about cars from the standpoint of reliable & efficient transportation.
    You know what, firstly if this were my Mirage, I would get it checked by a professional. The thing is, when everyone is an expert, stuff like anti vaccinations happen, and certain things there are not two sides to the story. It's the same mindset think about it. Some stuff take it to the experts.

Experts also know dosage for fuel additives better than the woopsy potential of me or you, well intentioned or not. The grand picture cost of my Mitsubishi, for me, is just too expensive on my budget to cut any corners.

Also I looked in my owners manual yesterday and they recommend the lowest grade in North America of unleaded gas. I didn't understand the international ratings thing at all (the acronyms sigh), or the ethanol part.

Best of luck to our new friend and their car problems, never easy is it! Everything breaks down eventually. I would also recommend seeing what another Mitsubishi dealer says, if they're close by.

I would if I could but I can't, where I live.
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-26-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok. I think there are some misunderstandings here, and we'll have to leave it at that.

Octane ratings are different from lead additives. I remember when and why leaded fuel was banned - it was because the lead fouled catalytic converters.

Personally, I don't equate automotive diagnosis and repair to human medical treatment, and don't mind spending a bit of time trying to figure problems out. If a man made it, a man can fix it. If you aren't inclined to give it a try yourself and would rather take your problems to a mechanic, that's cool too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If a man made it, a man can fix it.
    Sorry misunderstanding for sure. I just hope everyone has a reliable Mirage..., some are handier than others for sure I just feel DIY can go too extreme, with cars and with health.

Shout out to NaimaRaiko Mitz Spydev Fuelbender and other people here.. I forget easy on occasion.. for explaining to me that world wide gas is 91, what 87 is in the USA.

Yes obvious maybe, but how many metres do you go sitting per second in any car or a plane for that matter traveling what? 30 metres a second? That's a few feet lol. So tip top shape is just plain common sense for safety being no.1. and also always the elephant in the room with cars, so I hope the mechanics & everyone know their business.

Last edited by dspace9; 04-26-2019 at 10:29 AM.